The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I had this essay a few weeks ago :p:

It was how do I know I am dreaming though.

But if the question instead is how do I know I am not dreaming and dreaming about dreaming. Well I don't get that information drop when I dream of dreaming (i have rich dreams) but whether we are in a matrix like dream - I really don't know for sure, but I don't see evidence for it.

If you want to argue for the ambigious, well, I don't know that I am not dreaming. It is entirely possible that all this that I am experiencing now is a vivid hallucination that I may wake up from any minute. However, knowing whether or not I am dreaming now should not change the way I live or think about the world, and so I feel that the question has little value. Experience tells me objects still fall to the ground when dropped, lights still turn on when I flip the switch, and all other empirical regularities remain. So whatever state I may be in (dreaming, awake, alive, dead, ...), that which I am experiencing now is as "real" as real can be.

I adhere to the anticartesian arguments of Norman Malcolm that showed in his book "Dreaming" against the possibility of being dreaming and not awake. He said dreaming lacks the metacognitive aspect of language sharing, and public availability, and becasue we cannot expect an amazing temporal and spatial order if we are not awake.
Though recently neuroscience tell us that the sinchronous firing pattern of neurons while dreaming and in the state of wakefullness share many similarities (oscillation in the same band); so perhaps, Descartes was not entirely wrong!
Reply 21
Its not going very well.

I have until about 4.30pm to finish....

I have less than 1,000 words.

Bring on the fail!

[yes I am aware how idiotic I am for panicking and leaving it so late]
Reply 22
This reminds me of a nasty philosophy essay I had in my first year. I only got 40% for it and scraped the pass :ninja: Its a stupid subject so don't feel too bad :p:

What are the penalties for a late essay? Is it a total fail, a gradual loss or is it capped at 40%? I might be tempted to hand it apologetically in at 9am on monday if you really are struggling that bad.

Although if you can get up past 1200 then I'd hand it in and hope for the best

Good Luck :hugs:
Reply 23
"Late receipt of essays: Essays that are submitted late will be given a mark of 0, unless you have explicitly been given permission BEFORE THE DEADLINE to submit the essay late and have a good reason (such as illness) for doing so."

No can do :frown:
Reply 24
In that case, hurry, get off TSR! Shoo now! :security:

Latest

Trending

Trending