The Student Room Group

I suck at english lang and lit, its my worse two subjects, any advice?

I do AQA English lang and lit, for lit I take Romeo + Juliet, An Inspector Calls, Power and Conflict poetry and unseen poetry.

How do I revise for these subjects? Any tips?

I don't even know where to begin, I'm good with AIC, we haven't done unseen yet, but R+J and P+C, I struggle with..
Reply 1
You could try Mr Salles and Mr Bruff online and their books. If it is an affordable option you could get a tutor for the parts you struggle with.
Original post by Cote1
You could try Mr Salles and Mr Bruff online and their books. If it is an affordable option you could get a tutor for the parts you struggle with.

I don't think a tutor is suitable for me, but I'll check the others
Hey, I did Power and Conflict poetry and Romeo and Juliet, too. I did the English Lit GCSE when I was in Year 10 and got a 9. I'm in Year 13 and likely going to achieve an A* in English Literature, and will be studying it at university. I'd be happy to help or tutor you for free.
Original post by Purplemonkeys
Hey, I did Power and Conflict poetry and Romeo and Juliet, too. I did the English Lit GCSE when I was in Year 10 and got a 9. I'm in Year 13 and likely going to achieve an A* in English Literature, and will be studying it at university. I'd be happy to help or tutor you for free.

Hi!

What did you do to achieve a 9? And where do you think I can find the best notes/analysis on themes and characters for R+J and analysis on P+C
Studying the exact same as you! And I am also finding AIC okay but R+J and Power+Conflict more tricky! Any tips please send them to me too!
Original post by thattryharddude
Hi!

What did you do to achieve a 9? And where do you think I can find the best notes/analysis on themes and characters for R+J and analysis on P+C

Hi there - I run a YouTube channel dedicated to sharing Englit study resources, and I've got some detailed analysis on R+J and P+C poems. You can check them out here:

P+C poems: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfNl0o9mH4Q&list=PLhe5sjPdsN7apTVN3zgUuquzu8B3Dk_1j
R+J videos:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VoR0acpZA4&t=333s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dfs7Cya3O-w

I hope this helps.
Hi!

Hi, sorry for taking so long to reply!

I think Mr Bruff is a good resource to use via YouTube. There are study guides you can use for both, which helped me. I would practice essay questions relating to themes and do mindmap and flash/ revision cards for both, too. With R and J, interactive online resources are probably easier, given the difficulty level of Shakespeare's works. As for Power and Conflict, making quotation banks will help along with revision cards. Mindmap works for both, and Mr Bruff helps you with poetry. I hope this helps! Feel free to quote or PM me with any other questions you might have!

L x
I do AQA English lang and lit, for lit I take Romeo + Juliet, An Inspector Calls, Power and Conflict poetry and unseen poetry.

How do I revise for these subjects? Any tips?

I don't even know where to begin, I'm good with AIC, we haven't done unseen yet, but R+J and P+C, I struggle with..

I never did much revision for english lang tbh but I did for english lit (which I got a 9 in) and I watched Mr Salles Teaches English’s videos called ‘all the themes of…’ as they were amazing! I then did mindmaps with all the quotes, analysis, and context as well as making a few separate flashcards with info about important quotes. Making chapter summaries/scene summaries is also important though so you know your text!

Knowing how to answer the q is necessary too and mr salles has some essay skill vids so I’d recommend watching those, doing some practice essays based on that advice and then asking your teacher to mark it!
Original post by hamlethoratio
I never did much revision for english lang tbh but I did for english lit (which I got a 9 in) and I watched Mr Salles Teaches English’s videos called ‘all the themes of…’ as they were amazing! I then did mindmaps with all the quotes, analysis, and context as well as making a few separate flashcards with info about important quotes. Making chapter summaries/scene summaries is also important though so you know your text!

Knowing how to answer the q is necessary too and mr salles has some essay skill vids so I’d recommend watching those, doing some practice essays based on that advice and then asking your teacher to mark it!

Thank you both for your help.. I did watch Mr Bruff for poetry and did some of my own further analysis off of his, as I had my poetry mock on Monday. Mr Salles has also been useful for me and I'll definitely take in account of the 'all the themes of' video.
I usually make as many essay plans as possible. You could also try to explore every theme in the poems. I would also recommend you to check out Genius because they have a huge list of poems and plays that they have annotated. I do Edexcel so I'm not too familiar with AQA. I do Streetcar, Othello, Rosetti and Modern Poetry and Genius has really helped me with it. I also found this website called crossref-it.info. It's really helpful from what I've seen so far and there is loads of stuff on context. This website is really useful for the older works.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending