The Student Room Group
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham

Birmingham or Kent uni for engineering??

I've gotten offers from both Birmingham (mechanical engineering) and Kent (biomedical engineering) and am having trouble choosing which one to be my insurance choice.

With Kent, I got offered a lower grade (BBB) and I like the look of the course much more, but from what I've read, things like social activities aren't great and everything's quite expensive.

Birmingham offered me a place for AAB (which I think is an achievable grade for me) and the fact that it's a RG and more prestigious seems pretty good to me. I still like the look of the course, though not as much as Kent, and the nightlife seems much better, as well as the overall look of the campus. Only major downside for me is that I've heard a lot of mixed reviews especially in regards to safety.

I was wondering is any Birmingham / Kent students could share the pros and cons from everything to teaching (particularly in their engineering depts if possible), social life, accommodation and etc? Right now, I'm leaning more towards Birmingham, since the uni apparently has really high employability rates, but I don't want to regret not going for biomed. engineering, since its a bit more similar to the course which I chose as my firm (medical engineering).
Thanks! :smile:
Hey i go to birmingham uni dont study engineering i do biomed also not a student reppros- large choice of accom- good nightlife and clubs- great socities and ways to meet people- people tend to be laid back here not stuck up- amazing studying facilities like libaries- pretty campus- good sport teams and socities for sport- lecturers seem to be really helpful and responf quickly - in person lectures with everything going on while other unis still have it all online!- lots of volunteering societies and ways to boost ur CV- ive been to kent campus in summer its nice but bham is way nicer in my ops and more accom to chose from cons- outside of campus the citys isnt the most aeshtetic to be honest- Some accomodations are far from the campus like 30 mins walk if you chose chamberlain- Tend to stay within campus and dont go into town that much maybe u would go out to town in kent - Have heard of a lot of roberries in selly oaks ect - you might get bored of the campus to be honest while its beautiful its not a beautiful city
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham
Original post by Lolalolalola444
Hey i go to birmingham uni dont study engineering i do biomed also not a student reppros- large choice of accom- good nightlife and clubs- great socities and ways to meet people- people tend to be laid back here not stuck up- amazing studying facilities like libaries- pretty campus- good sport teams and socities for sport- lecturers seem to be really helpful and responf quickly - in person lectures with everything going on while other unis still have it all online!- lots of volunteering societies and ways to boost ur CV- ive been to kent campus in summer its nice but bham is way nicer in my ops and more accom to chose from cons- outside of campus the citys isnt the most aeshtetic to be honest- Some accomodations are far from the campus like 30 mins walk if you chose chamberlain- Tend to stay within campus and dont go into town that much maybe u would go out to town in kent - Have heard of a lot of roberries in selly oaks ect - you might get bored of the campus to be honest while its beautiful its not a beautiful city

Birmingham doesn't have a biomedical engineering course though
Original post by Anonymous
I've gotten offers from both Birmingham (mechanical engineering) and Kent (biomedical engineering) and am having trouble choosing which one to be my insurance choice.

With Kent, I got offered a lower grade (BBB) and I like the look of the course much more, but from what I've read, things like social activities aren't great and everything's quite expensive.

Birmingham offered me a place for AAB (which I think is an achievable grade for me) and the fact that it's a RG and more prestigious seems pretty good to me. I still like the look of the course, though not as much as Kent, and the nightlife seems much better, as well as the overall look of the campus. Only major downside for me is that I've heard a lot of mixed reviews especially in regards to safety.

I was wondering is any Birmingham / Kent students could share the pros and cons from everything to teaching (particularly in their engineering depts if possible), social life, accommodation and etc? Right now, I'm leaning more towards Birmingham, since the uni apparently has really high employability rates, but I don't want to regret not going for biomed. engineering, since its a bit more similar to the course which I chose as my firm (medical engineering).

If you think that you can get both grades then that shouldn't be a part of you choosing

You've right, reputation is more important so Birmingham is better. Everyone has heard of Birmingham but Kent is a bit of a random uni
Mechanical Engineering is a great choice because after this, you can do a biomedical masters degree. Mechanical is flexible.
Original post by Anonymous

Hey!

Sorry I didn't reply sooner, but I hope I can give you a bit of insight for the University of Kent :biggrin:

Our Biological Engineering is highly rated and respected; We scored 87% overall in The Complete University Guide 2022. It was also ranked 10th for research intensity. Moreover, the University of Kent has great partnerships with its alumni who will come in and help with advice for the course, jobs and general questions about the future. For Biomedical Engineering we have alumni who went on to work at BAE Systems, RAF, CISCO, Defence Science and Technology Laboratory (MOD) and more.

The social aspect of the University of Kent is really what attracted me. We're surrounded my luscious fields and sheep - yet within the city we have countless pubs, bars, night clubs etc. On campus there are four bars, six restaurants, and a club right on your door step. As mentioned we have another four clubs in the city and so many amazing pubs and bars (Which I talk about here: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7119405). Our accommodation is super modern with 200mbps+ wifi all over campus. In my first year I stayed in Turing College which was such a dream, and I miss it everyday.

I hope this helps, but feel free to ask more questions!
Nathan
UKC Rep

Quick Reply