The Student Room Group

Should i go to UCL, KCL, or Warwick for politics?

Title

Scroll to see replies

Do you want to live in London?
Reply 2
Original post by PQ
Do you want to live in London?

Its fine
Original post by Anonymous
Its fine

If you’re that unenthusiastic then I would suggest you’re better off living/studying outside London.

Studying in London is draining (financially, time wise/commute wise, socially - and generally staff at London universities are less happy and harder to get help from). You should be looking for where you will thrive and be able to fulfill your full academic potential while also jumping enthusiastically into every other opportunity available. “Fine” isn’t a great indicator of that.
All really prestige universities, do eenie meenie mini mo.
Reply 5
Original post by PQ
If you’re that unenthusiastic then I would suggest you’re better off living/studying outside London.

Studying in London is draining (financially, time wise/commute wise, socially - and generally staff at London universities are less happy and harder to get help from). You should be looking for where you will thrive and be able to fulfill your full academic potential while also jumping enthusiastically into every other opportunity available. “Fine” isn’t a great indicator of that.

Maybe I used the wrong word there. What I meant was that location is not really a problem/concern for me. Even I think that studying in London will open a lot of opportunities.
Reply 6
All really prestige universities, do eenie meenie mini mo.

:, but If is start with UCL, it will land in UCL as well
Reply 7
I’d recommend UCL, mostly because I know more people that studied there managed to get jobs at impressive places more often than those studying in Warwick and KCL. Not to say that you won’t get to work at a nice firm, etc., in fact you will get the same opportunities in these 3 universities. You can take into account how good and the way they teach your course if you like.
Reply 8
Original post by wifd149
I’d recommend UCL, mostly because I know more people that studied there managed to get jobs at impressive places more often than those studying in Warwick and KCL. Not to say that you won’t get to work at a nice firm, etc., in fact you will get the same opportunities in these 3 universities. You can take into account how good and the way they teach your course if you like.

That is why I still hard to choose between those 3 unis, since in many websites KCL seems to have a lead in terms of their politics studies, but UCL and Warwick just have a “better” reputation in general.

Anyway, thanks for the kind reply!
Reply 9
That is why I still hard to choose between those 3 unis, since in many websites KCL seems to have a lead in terms of their politics studies, but UCL and Warwick just have a “better” reputation in general.

Anyway, thanks for the kind reply!

I’d recommend you contact a student representative for politics in KCL or anyone that is studying/studied there, and ask them what their experiences were like.

You can ask about how lenient are they with marking, how are the coursework and exams, how were their tutorials/seminars, etc.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by wifd149
I’d recommend you contact a student representative for politics in KCL or anyone that is studying/studied there, and ask them what their experiences were like.

You can ask about how lenient are they with marking, how are the coursework and exams, how were their tutorials/seminars, etc.

I’ll try to search for that, thank you!
UCL and Warwick seem pretty chill. I get the vibe that the people there are very humble and intelligent. Both are very International and have lots of social and career events. I'd say these two are the best but again, this is just my opinion.
UCL and Warwick seem pretty chill. I get the vibe that the people there are very humble and intelligent. Both are very International and have lots of social and career events. I'd say these two are the best but again, this is just my opinion.

Thank youu for the reply!
I guess look at the modules they offer, see how much freedom you have in selecting them and which uni has the ones you're more interested in.

I think other than that, it really comes down to london vs coventry. You need to take into consideration the cost of living, commute, if you like a campus or city uni, etc. London unis aren't for everyone so do read up a lot on this.
Also think about stuff outside of studies, such as societies, what activities you are interested in/ things you like doing in your spare time (imo coventry is quite boring and in the middle of nowhere whereas london, obviously being a big city, has lots you can do to enjoy).

As for job opportunities- I feel that the 3 stand equally, it depends on what you make of yourself. If you've got the grades and an impressive CV, employers couldn't care less if you go to UCL/KCL/Warwick.
if you care about rankings, then for your course it is KCL>>UCL>>>>Warwick
Original post by wifd149

You should pick UCL as the university you spend your next 3 years at because Wifd149 has more privileged friends who ended up top jobs than his mates as other unis.
I guess look at the modules they offer, see how much freedom you have in selecting them and which uni has the ones you're more interested in.

I think other than that, it really comes down to london vs coventry. You need to take into consideration the cost of living, commute, if you like a campus or city uni, etc. London unis aren't for everyone so do read up a lot on this.
Also think about stuff outside of studies, such as societies, what activities you are interested in/ things you like doing in your spare time (imo coventry is quite boring and in the middle of nowhere whereas london, obviously being a big city, has lots you can do to enjoy).

As for job opportunities- I feel that the 3 stand equally, it depends on what you make of yourself. If you've got the grades and an impressive CV, employers couldn't care less if you go to UCL/KCL/Warwick.

Anonymous is right listen to him.

There’s no real difference between the 3 (for politics) .
The big question is do you really wanna live in Warwick over London lol.

If you wanna go London then modules and how they assess you is what I’d look at.
UCL is easily the best choice here, especially if you're going for politics. It's the best one for the humanities, has a higher international reputation than Warwick, has a higher domestic reputation than KCL and has a higher overall reputation than both.

Outside of WBS or Maths (which Warwick is better for), Warwick doesn't compete with UCL. Same for KCL outside of Law. The only field in which both UCL and Warwick are viewed similarly is within investment banking and even then most of the hires come from Warwick's business school. Again, same with KCL and UCL being viewed similarly for law.
(edited 2 years ago)
if you care about rankings, then for your course it is KCL>>UCL>>>>Warwick

This might be the first time in my life I have ever seen KCL>>UCL
Thank you everyone for the discussion. I dont know how to reply to each and every one of you. I have concluded between UCL and KCL as my final two unis But I still need more time to decide XD

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending