The Student Room Group

Just a Question I Suppose.

Hi!
I've come on here to ask a few questions!
With A-Levels right around the corner (God I sound like Miss Kate from the next step... that dancing show from like 5 years ago that is somehow?? still got quite a large fan base even though the writing isn't that great anymore.. anyway back to the topic at hand) Does anyone else feel extremely stressed out? I am so stressed out about my A-Levels I've cried a few times these past few days, I feel like I'm ripping my hair out from stress!

I feel that it's unfair that we have to sit A-Levels with the whole catastrophe of our Year 11 and Year 12, not having adequate learning in schools (when they were open) due to having funky lesson times to stop bubbles mixing, Not being in school for 2 months after Christmas during our year 12!? all these things are just really stressing me out to the brim!!

So does anyone else feel really stressed about these exams? Like I do know they're important and everything but the stress is really getting to me! And does anyone else share similar-ish views to me about the aspect of Yr 13's sitting their A-Levels during all of this?
Original post by HiccupHaddock
Hi!
I've come on here to ask a few questions!
With A-Levels right around the corner (God I sound like Miss Kate from the next step... that dancing show from like 5 years ago that is somehow?? still got quite a large fan base even though the writing isn't that great anymore.. anyway back to the topic at hand) Does anyone else feel extremely stressed out? I am so stressed out about my A-Levels I've cried a few times these past few days, I feel like I'm ripping my hair out from stress!

I feel that it's unfair that we have to sit A-Levels with the whole catastrophe of our Year 11 and Year 12, not having adequate learning in schools (when they were open) due to having funky lesson times to stop bubbles mixing, Not being in school for 2 months after Christmas during our year 12!? all these things are just really stressing me out to the brim!!

So does anyone else feel really stressed about these exams? Like I do know they're important and everything but the stress is really getting to me! And does anyone else share similar-ish views to me about the aspect of Yr 13's sitting their A-Levels during all of this?

I’m in year 12 so I don’t share the same magnitude of stress as you do, nor is this my specific niche to talk about, but I can only imagine how hard and stress-inducing it can get when you realise that very important exams are approaching soon and you’ve already been disadvantaged due to a prior event. I can only wish you year 13’s the best, and here’s some virtual hugs for good luck. :grouphugs:
Original post by 0ptics
I’m in year 12 so I don’t share the same magnitude of stress as you do, nor is this my specific niche to talk about, but I can only imagine how hard and stress-inducing it can get when you realise that very important exams are approaching soon and you’ve already been disadvantaged due to a prior event. I can only wish you year 13’s the best, and here’s some virtual hugs for good luck. :grouphugs:

Thank you very much for the hugs! They are greatly appreciated! I just hope your year 12 doesn't go as badly as your year 11 did!
Thank you very much for the hugs! They are greatly appreciated! I just hope your year 12 doesn't go as badly as your year 11 did!

Surprisingly, despite the disadvantages, I actually enjoyed my year 11 experience and found it to be quite meh overall. Though, I only enjoyed it because, arguably, they made it fairer by cutting down knowledge we hadn’t learnt. But, I understand where you’re coming from. I can only sympathise for year 13’s as year 12 knowledge is actually integral for year 13…
I can understand the stress completely! how do you feel you're coping with the content of the A levels? the situation with exams is definitely difficult, but how would you say you are with the content (I.e do you feel behind at all? Or is it purely just exam stress? if you're struggling to revise I can offer some tips?
Original post by Joshwoods01
I can understand the stress completely! how do you feel you're coping with the content of the A levels? the situation with exams is definitely difficult, but how would you say you are with the content (I.e do you feel behind at all? Or is it purely just exam stress? if you're struggling to revise I can offer some tips?

I'm good with the content! It's just purely the exam stress I suppose, And i never had much luck with revising so any tips would be greatly appreciated!!
I think the best advice i can give, this goes for the whole year but may as well start now if any of this helps:

For learning content:
Take the best notes you can in lesson, even if the teacher is going really fast, you dont necessarily have to understand everything they say in that one hour. Once lessons are over, try and find some time to rewrite your notes in your own words, making sure to include all the detail you can. Even say what you're writing out loud, I find this helps me a lot as it helps to keep it in my head. Make sure your notes are tidy and easy to use for revision.
Once you have rewritten your notes, go back over all example questions which were covered in lesson, write down all the key points to answer the question and finally try to answer it yourself without any notes in your own words. A lot of the time, exam questions are similar to example questions.
Once you are done with that, attempt any problem sheets that have been given to you on that topic. Before you attempt any questions, spend 20-30 minutes focussing strictly on one topic to make sure you can grasp all the details. Then, similar with the example questions, you can use your notes to answer the worksheet questions. aim to answer the whole question without using any notes, highlighting any key words, phrases or main steps in your working so you can familiarise yourself with what details the answer must include. Also, dont try to learn too much at once, stick with one to two topics in 1 night and really try to grasp them. Give yourself a days break and then move on, but dont forget to keep coming back to earlier topics to keep yourself familiar with them :smile:
Original post by Joshwoods01
I think the best advice i can give, this goes for the whole year but may as well start now if any of this helps:

For learning content:
Take the best notes you can in lesson, even if the teacher is going really fast, you dont necessarily have to understand everything they say in that one hour. Once lessons are over, try and find some time to rewrite your notes in your own words, making sure to include all the detail you can. Even say what you're writing out loud, I find this helps me a lot as it helps to keep it in my head. Make sure your notes are tidy and easy to use for revision.
Once you have rewritten your notes, go back over all example questions which were covered in lesson, write down all the key points to answer the question and finally try to answer it yourself without any notes in your own words. A lot of the time, exam questions are similar to example questions.
Once you are done with that, attempt any problem sheets that have been given to you on that topic. Before you attempt any questions, spend 20-30 minutes focussing strictly on one topic to make sure you can grasp all the details. Then, similar with the example questions, you can use your notes to answer the worksheet questions. aim to answer the whole question without using any notes, highlighting any key words, phrases or main steps in your working so you can familiarise yourself with what details the answer must include. Also, dont try to learn too much at once, stick with one to two topics in 1 night and really try to grasp them. Give yourself a days break and then move on, but dont forget to keep coming back to earlier topics to keep yourself familiar with them :smile:

Thank you so much! I feel this will help me out alot! Thank you for taking your time to give me tips and tricks! I really appreciate it!
Thank you so much! I feel this will help me out alot! Thank you for taking your time to give me tips and tricks! I really appreciate it!

its no problem at all! I didn't like college at all and I wish I followed these, this advice is what I use for university, and no word of a lie, it has helped me to achieve a first in all my assignments! just have to make sure to keep on top of everything! revise as early as you can so that there is less to cram later on hahaha

Quick Reply

Latest