I have just finished 9 years of university... AMA

Watch
BeeMithcell
Badges: 5
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Zerforax)
How much student debt are you in?
A hell of a lot, for bachelor's and masters, but my PhD was fully funded. The other loans have inflated with interest and I'm not looking forward to the extra bill to pay when I finally do go out to work.
BeeMithcell
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Bump, I have been in four different relationships now since the start of this journey in 2012.
First in 2013 I met a girl in my halls who was first year and I was second year. She has got a master's degree now and is a mum with her husband.
2015 I met a new girl who was two years older than me studying her masters and I was just finishing off my bachelor's. I haven't heard from her much since we broke up in 2017 before my masters, but i heard she is not married yet.
2018 I met a new girl during the second semester of the first year PhD and she graduated in the summer and started her masters in a different university from 2018-19.
I was single through the whole pandemic and just focused on the research and wasted a lot of time in my room. I then met my new girlfriend in the summer whilst the Euro's were being played and she was going into her final year of her integrated masters. She is really stressed with this masters and I barely get much time to see her as I was also stressed out during the final hurdle of the phD thesis. She also hates being a stressed student and she told me she will never do a PhD.
the bear
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 2 weeks ago
do you think that AI will allow robots to take over ?

:holmes:
Iris37
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report 2 weeks ago
That was too good let’s get the bill purrr
BeeMithcell
Rep:
(Original post by the bear)
do you think that AI will allow robots to take over ?

:holmes:
I hope so one day. But not in my lifetime.
lesgo21
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by BeeMithcell)
That's right folks. I started my university journey in September 2012 and I still remember the day my parents dropped me off to my first university accomodation. Here we are 9 years later and I have finally finished, BSc MSc and PhD.

Since it has been my reality for nearly a decade and my whole adult life, I'm starting to think now what... and it's a very scary time for me.

Ask me anything
wow and I'm planning to just do 3 years and enter the world of work lol
sy!¡
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 2 weeks ago
can you help me with computer science first year at uni lol
charfreemannn
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 2 weeks ago
you must be sooooooo in debt
BeeMithcell
Rep:
(Original post by lesgo21)
wow and I'm planning to just do 3 years and enter the world of work lol
Better option. All my mates did that and already have a career with a house and are starting families now...
BeeMithcell
Rep:
(Original post by charfreemannn)
you must be sooooooo in debt
Not really much more than other graduates.
BeeMithcell
Rep:
(Original post by sy!¡)
can you help me with computer science first year at uni lol
The problem with phD is that you study an in depth part of computer science and you forget the basics.
HiccupHaddock
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 2 weeks ago
Compared to others, i feel my question will be quite basic. I'm starting uni in Septemeber and i'm quite anxious about it, I've got a few questions and i hope it's not to many! feel free to not answer some if you don't want to!

Is it easy to settle in once you're there? Does the homesicknesses go away quite easily? How does washing clothes and stuff work at uni? Are you able to see family (a lot aka lots of free time)? Are there lots of exams (I'm planing on studying History)?
And do you have any tips or tricks or just some general advice for someone who's generally always anxious, all of the time, and doesn't like being away from home atm?
tecna
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 2 weeks ago
Did u not work in retail during uni esp during ur undergrad
U must've had some real life work experience?
What uni did u go 2
And also I want to learn how to code
Should I start off w python? Do u know of any gud websites which could help
Thnx n good luck
Last edited by tecna; 2 weeks ago
Quady
Rep:
Report 2 weeks ago
That's right folks. I started my university journey in September 2012 and I still remember the day my parents dropped me off to my first university accomodation. Here we are 9 years later and I have finally finished, BSc MSc and PhD.

Since it has been my reality for nearly a decade and my whole adult life, I'm starting to think now what... and it's a very scary time for me.

Ask me anything
Why did you join TSR this month rather than nine years ago?
BeeMithcell
Rep:
(Original post by HiccupHaddock)
Compared to others, i feel my question will be quite basic. I'm starting uni in Septemeber and i'm quite anxious about it, I've got a few questions and i hope it's not to many! feel free to not answer some if you don't want to!

Is it easy to settle in once you're there? Does the homesicknesses go away quite easily? How does washing clothes and stuff work at uni? Are you able to see family (a lot aka lots of free time)? Are there lots of exams (I'm planing on studying History)?
And do you have any tips or tricks or just some general advice for someone who's generally always anxious, all of the time, and doesn't like being away from home atm?
1. Yes it is easy to settle and term times goes very quickly. Term time is only 7months of the year so a bachelor's degree is just 21 months in total.
2. Most accomodations have a washing room and you have to pay a lot of money to use it.
3. Definitely during undergrad you have a lot of time to do
4. You can live at home for uni
BeeMithcell
Rep:
(Original post by Quady)
Why did you join TSR this month rather than nine years ago?
I used to have an account in 2010 when I was studying my A Levels. Times have changed now
Quady
Rep:
Report 2 weeks ago
I used to have an account in 2010 when I was studying my A Levels. Times have changed now
What happened to that account?
CoolCavy
Rep:
Report 2 weeks ago
Yes I am already suffering as I have these qualifications but with no work experience.
There's always time to build up your experience
I found it quite difficult to get my first graduate job (I had no experience either) but once you've had one job it really does help when looking for another. Once your foot is in the door so to speak it feels a lot easier
Hope you find something :hugs:
BeeMithcell
Rep:
(Original post by Quady)
What happened to that account?
it got closed down
Quady
Rep:
Report 2 weeks ago
it got closed down
For trolling?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you ever considered or are you currently considering an apprenticeship?

Yes, I am actively considering an apprenticeship (51)
12.23%
I am actively considering an alternative to uni that isn't an apprenticeship (8)
1.92%
I have considered an apprenticeship but it's not for me (106)
25.42%
I am considering a degree apprenticeship (38)
9.11%
I haven't considered an apprenticeship (199)
47.72%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (15)
3.6%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed