The Student Room Group

Assignment deadline

I got to two assignment where on is due on the 7/1/22 and the other on the 10/1/22 but I didn't start any. Do you think I still have enough time especially when I'm a slow learner and typer.
How to finish your assignments.

1. Get off TSR

2. Start your assignment

There’s someone who did a dissertation in 48 hours so anything is possible.
(edited 2 years ago)
nope
@Susan1738 first thing you should do is request an extension for both your assignments. Universities are quite lenient these days because of Covid, so because of this, or your other reasons for not starting on them yet, you will likely get the extension. Don't wait for them to get back to you to start though. It will be tight, but it is possible to finish both assignments. You just need to be organised and put in the effort. You should create plans for both your essays, such as bullet points listing how you are going to write the essay, what is going to go where etc. You should follow your learning outcome, don't waste time on anything that your learning outcome does not specify.

If you are a slow typer then use microphone button on the word document to translate speech to text. This function often gets words wrong though and doesn't put in the correct punctuation, so make sure you go over it afterwards. This, or get a text to speech app on your phone for when you have thoughts of what to write in your assignment when you're out and about.

I would start by finding definitions of key words in your essay using Oxford reference or by using the 'reference entry' part of your online library search function, if you are struggling with where to start, and they can help you figure out what to research next.

If you struggle with time management, then make a plan for when to write your essay i.e. Day 1 - Complete introduction on both essays and find three helpful journals OR Day 1 : 9-11am work on essay one 1-3 work on essay two 5-7 work on essay one etc. Something along those lines, and make the plan for each day leading up to the deadline, giving yourself a few days leeway for checking over your assignment, finishing referencing, managing work count etc.

- Rosie
Sheffield Hallam Student Ambassador
Reply 4
Get cracking!
Reply 5
Original post by hallamstudents
@Susan1738 first thing you should do is request an extension for both your assignments. Universities are quite lenient these days because of Covid, so because of this, or your other reasons for not starting on them yet, you will likely get the extension. Don't wait for them to get back to you to start though. It will be tight, but it is possible to finish both assignments. You just need to be organised and put in the effort. You should create plans for both your essays, such as bullet points listing how you are going to write the essay, what is going to go where etc. You should follow your learning outcome, don't waste time on anything that your learning outcome does not specify.

If you are a slow typer then use microphone button on the word document to translate speech to text. This function often gets words wrong though and doesn't put in the correct punctuation, so make sure you go over it afterwards. This, or get a text to speech app on your phone for when you have thoughts of what to write in your assignment when you're out and about.

I would start by finding definitions of key words in your essay using Oxford reference or by using the 'reference entry' part of your online library search function, if you are struggling with where to start, and they can help you figure out what to research next.

If you struggle with time management, then make a plan for when to write your essay i.e. Day 1 - Complete introduction on both essays and find three helpful journals OR Day 1 : 9-11am work on essay one 1-3 work on essay two 5-7 work on essay one etc. Something along those lines, and make the plan for each day leading up to the deadline, giving yourself a few days leeway for checking over your assignment, finishing referencing, manthank.you.so.much I done an extensionaging work count etc.

- Rosie
Sheffield Hallam Student Ambassador

Thank you I done an extension for 14 days more but I want to finish much earlier than that
When did you get them?
Reply 7
Original post by Googley_eyes
When did you get them?

During the Christmas break like a day before. But I had 3 assessment but I finished one already
Original post by Susan1738
During the Christmas break like a day before. But I had 3 assessment but I finished one already

So in theory you had 3-4 weeks so one assignment a week. Should not have been an issue, not sure that your extenuating circumstances form is worth anything honestly. And you’d have known you were getting them too so it wouldn’t have been a surprise. Is there any legit reason why you can’t hand them in?
Reply 9
Original post by Anonymous
So in theory you had 3-4 weeks so one assignment a week. Should not have been an issue, not sure that your extenuating circumstances form is worth anything honestly. And you’d have known you were getting them too so it wouldn’t have been a surprise. Is there any legit reason why you can’t hand them in?

I only have one assignment left with 1500 words due in 6 days , I never started it. Im actually worried I won't do it on time. My laptop broke and I sent it to a repair and go it back line a week and a half later so that's why I didn't do it in time.
Original post by Susan1738
I only have one assignment left with 1500 words due in 6 days , I never started it. Im actually worried I won't do it on time. My laptop broke and I sent it to a repair and go it back line a week and a half later so that's why I didn't do it in time.

If you can’t use your laptop go to campus and borrow one from the library or go sit in the library at a computer. 6 days for 1500 words is doable.
@Susan1738 I could do a 3000 word essay in two weeks and come out with a first or 2:1 so 6 days is definitely doable for a 1500 word essay. Well done for finishing your other essay! What you can do is as soon as you wake up just start writing or researching, do this for an hour or two, have a break, get some breakfast then start on again. Try to work in segments of 1-2 hours, that way you will be able to do more in your day than if say you did 4 hours straight and then were too tired to do any more for the rest of the day.

Or, get yourself to the university library. Other people working can motivate you to work and being in this environment can help you concentrate. Just remember to stay hydrated, so drink lots of water, if you don't do this while working you're more likely to get a headache and then working is even harder.

In the future, if you can't work on an assignment because of computer problems then either borrow one from the university or just go into the university library and use the computer there. As long as you save to the cloud or an google account you will be able to access this anywhere, even your own computer when you get it back. Another idea is to get an iPad/tablet, they are handy for working when you are out as you don't have to carry a heavy computer with you, and if you get a Bluetooth keyboard along with it you can work with it as if it's a computer.

It's all about the mindset, so get into a can-do, I got this attitude, and write a fab assignment :smile:

- Rosie

Quick Reply

Latest