The Student Room Group
On campus at University of Greenwich
University of Greenwich
London

How much should I have saved before uni

Hi there, I’m looking to go to university in September as a first yr undergrad. Roughly my first year student finance is coming up to £4K. I’m stuck between choosing Greenwich university (Central London) or Brunel University (Outskirts of London) so I was wondering how much roughly I should have saved before I go in September?
Reply 1
Is they £4k the whole year or for every installment.

Living in london is costly the biggest costs are travel and accommodation. See if you can get bursaries at each of the unis and if they have accommodation bursaries.

If you want to keep travel costs low then Brunel cuz their accommodation is so much cheaper and closer to the uni.
and as to answer your question save as much as you can, the first few weeks will be costly cuz your buying so much stuff.
To give you a figure save a £3-4k if you want to be completely financially secure and not eating ramen every day.
On campus at University of Greenwich
University of Greenwich
London
Reply 2
Hi there thank you for your reply,

I think it’s for the year. There’s 2 grants which I’m gonna apply for which I should get £2.5k for. So far I’ve got around £1.9k in total of my own money. I was looking at Brunel & Greenwich accom costs n they both come around £165 per week. I guess it comes into consideration the cost of priv accom after first yr.

Im not a big spender at all, majority of my spending goes on my bus fair to college which is £17.50 a week & my gym membership which is £18.99 a month 😂 so I don’t think I’ll have problems eating out a lot (I hope)

Just out of interest are you at uni studying in/around london. Also roughly how much do you think travel would be a month?
Reply 3
Original post by R4V123
Hi there thank you for your reply,

I think it’s for the year. There’s 2 grants which I’m gonna apply for which I should get £2.5k for. So far I’ve got around £1.9k in total of my own money. I was looking at Brunel & Greenwich accom costs n they both come around £165 per week. I guess it comes into consideration the cost of priv accom after first yr.

Im not a big spender at all, majority of my spending goes on my bus fair to college which is £17.50 a week & my gym membership which is £18.99 a month 😂 so I don’t think I’ll have problems eating out a lot (I hope)

Just out of interest are you at uni studying in/around london. Also roughly how much do you think travel would be a month?

I go to KCL so the slap bang in London. I live very close to it so I don’t spend much on travel also it’s online at the moment. To think about it I probably went in about 10 times since September and I take a bus so maybe £15-£20.

But if you go to Brunel you can just walk to your lectures and library is all located together i believe.
But with Greenwich cuz it’s closer to the centre of London accoms may be further away and this may require the use of transport which is £1.55 each way in London by bus and £1.50-£3 per way by tube.
So depending how much you go in it will add up
Original post by R4V123
Hi there, I’m looking to go to university in September as a first yr undergrad. Roughly my first year student finance is coming up to £4K. I’m stuck between choosing Greenwich university (Central London) or Brunel University (Outskirts of London) so I was wondering how much roughly I should have saved before I go in September?

As much as you can...
Reply 5
Thanks for that. Yeh Brunel has everything located on campus so it’s not a problem only thing is the area looks pretty dead so that why I was wondering for travel costs coz most likely I’ll be going into london to do nights out n socials. Greenwich has the accom literally next to the uni so no transport needed.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending