The Student Room Group

RVC gateway interview 2022

Any tips for the interview? - i.e. what parts of the anatomy should I practice prior to the interview?

I am a reapplicant and was placed on hold last year. I am extremely confident this year as I managed to attend RVC Summer Vet School and gain two weeks of work experience in a mixed animal practice that had a farmward too. I am planning to get some practice from medic mind tutors and try my best as this is my last chance to apply to the gateway.
(edited 2 years ago)
Generally interviews aren’t a thing you should focus on knowledge on since they ask you to come in with no prior “vetty” knowledge, so apart from knowing the basics of the animal bits of A Level biology I would not be too focused on anatomy parts. You should focus more on reflection of work experience, motivation for being a vet, knowledge of the career and course, ethical considerations, public health, good and bad traits, current topical issues in the vet world etc - things you can discuss. If you really wanted to learn anatomy I’d learn the directional terms (caudal cranial etc) and possibly the basics of bones, e.g. ulna radius etc - but again that should not be a focus, if they present you with something “vetty” like this they are not looking for a right answer but rather to see your thought processes on working out a challenging task.

Best of luck!
Reply 2
Original post by RambleAmple
Generally interviews aren’t a thing you should focus on knowledge on since they ask you to come in with no prior “vetty” knowledge, so apart from knowing the basics of the animal bits of A Level biology I would not be too focused on anatomy parts. You should focus more on reflection of work experience, motivation for being a vet, knowledge of the career and course, ethical considerations, public health, good and bad traits, current topical issues in the vet world etc - things you can discuss. If you really wanted to learn anatomy I’d learn the directional terms (caudal cranial etc) and possibly the basics of bones, e.g. ulna radius etc - but again that should not be a focus, if they present you with something “vetty” like this they are not looking for a right answer but rather to see your thought processes on working out a challenging task.

Best of luck!

I've over-prepared, I managed to practice all of my anatomical locations/direction like Rostal, Cranial, Cervical, Thoracic, Lumbar, Sacral, Caudal, Cockageal, Lateral, Medial, Anterior, Posterior, Proximal and Distal. I can apply all of these to a practical question, I just think it's the nerves and over-contemplating everything.

I even wrote down a step-by-step instruction in my work experience journal for simple interrupted and continuous stitching as the Farm Vets asked me the pros and cons during an umbilical hernia repair on a calf. I do have two full journals I can use with my experiences during my placement at the hospital.

I have delved into brachycephalic dogs, learned their imposed anatomy, conflictions with BOAS, and how and what preventative treatments they use.
Btb and why badger culling is used.
Original post by CNaylor2000
I've over-prepared, I managed to practice all of my anatomical locations/direction like Rostal, Cranial, Cervical, Thoracic, Lumbar, Sacral, Caudal, Cockageal, Lateral, Medial, Anterior, Posterior, Proximal and Distal. I can apply all of these to a practical question, I just think it's the nerves and over-contemplating everything.

I even wrote down a step-by-step instruction in my work experience journal for simple interrupted and continuous stitching as the Farm Vets asked me the pros and cons during an umbilical hernia repair on a calf. I do have two full journals I can use with my experiences during my placement at the hospital.

I have delved into brachycephalic dogs, learned their imposed anatomy, conflictions with BOAS, and how and what preventative treatments they use.
Btb and why badger culling is used.

I honestly would not worry about overly learning the anatomy or vet procedures etc, I’m a first year vet student and I couldn’t tell you those things at this stage 😂 So they would not expect you to learn that. I did the RVC summer school intended for gateway students in 2019 and the main thing they told us was the reflections etc. What I did as I was also a reapplicant was I did a structure of getting all the good traits of a vet/get student and linked each of them to my work experience, and then back to an example of how this trait is used in practice - then no matter what question they ask you (either about traits, or work experience, or examples in practice) you are prepared to answer them in depth. I’d also have a read about animal issues surrounding “lockdown puppies” and Brexit since they are very topical, and Avian flu too since it is around currently. But I do understand the nerves and overcompensating! But remember they are only there to see how you think and get to know you a bit, they will teach you “their” methods of stitching up etc which may be different to what you’re learning anyway so they don’t expect you to learn that now.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending