iamconfusion2021
Badges: 1
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Hi everyone,

Currently in 2nd year at uni and absolutely certain that I want to pursue a career in teaching. I'm attending open days at the moment for providers I'd be interested in but I fear I'm getting a bit ahead of myself?

Is now the right time to be looking at courses or am I too early? Should I be leaving it until the beginning of next year?

When should I be looking?

Advice appreciated!
bluebeetle
Badges: 18
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by iamconfusion2021)
Hi everyone,

Currently in 2nd year at uni and absolutely certain that I want to pursue a career in teaching. I'm attending open days at the moment for providers I'd be interested in but I fear I'm getting a bit ahead of myself?

Is now the right time to be looking at courses or am I too early? Should I be leaving it until the beginning of next year?

Advice appreciated!
I would say the best use of your second year is to get some experience in schools. A really good time is June/July, as often uni exams are finished but schools are still open. I was able to find experience through my uni careers service.

You could also look into other opportunities to gain experience working with young people. Maybe see if your university have any volunteering links with local schools or youth clubs, or look into tutoring.
Ash1234
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 2 weeks ago
Do exactly what the above says.

Is now the right time to be looking at courses or am I too early? Should I be leaving it until the beginning of next year? - No it's not. This way if you are ahead of getting work experience etc you'll get a better understanding or feel for the teaching environment. So you'll know whether you may be a fit or not. This way 3rd year you can do little work experience but can demonstrate it in the application you did do the majority in 2nd year. That way for 3rd year your focus is on your University course dissertation etc.
Get into Teaching
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 2 weeks ago
Hi iamconfusion2021,

Some great advice given already, you can actually get support from the 'Get into Teaching' service now and receive support from an Early Engagement Adviser, who will be an experienced teacher. They can help you to look at courses, find school experience and explore your options further. Please do call us on Freephone 0800 389 2500 between 8.30am and 5pm, Monday to Friday or visit our 'Get into Teaching' website and register online there.

Wishing you all the very best

Olivia
1secondsofvamps
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 2 weeks ago
I was in second year myself when i started looking at teacher training providers.

There's nothing wrong with being too prepared. Definitely use this time wisely- gain classroom experience, figure out what teacher training route you'd like, what provider you'd want to go with, and the location you'd want to train/work in.
Get into Teaching
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by iamconfusion2021)
Hi everyone,

Advice appreciated!
Hi iamconfusion2021

I'd just like to echo the above comments and say it is not too early and if anything, this will give more time and a better opportunity to look around and get the best application possible with the support abvailable.

I wish you all the best.
Dan
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you ever considered or are you currently considering an apprenticeship?

Yes, I am actively considering an apprenticeship (56)
12.33%
I am actively considering an alternative to uni that isn't an apprenticeship (8)
1.76%
I have considered an apprenticeship but it's not for me (122)
26.87%
I am considering a degree apprenticeship (41)
9.03%
I haven't considered an apprenticeship (212)
46.7%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (15)
3.3%

Watched Threads