The Student Room Group

How do I catch up? A-level revision.

I'm in year 12 and doing biology, chemistry, physics and maths but I'm so behind as I've barely attended school because I had Covid for over a month and then I had to undergo a surgery which also resulted in bed rest and then my grandfather died which messed up my mental health, year 12 had been a turmoil so far and that is putting it mildly.

But now I have mocks coming up after school opens and I'm so behind but not only in revision because I don't know the content either and my school had already finished the entire AS content.

What should I do? how can I study the content now? I have a week and how much do you think I'll be able to cover by then? is it possible to cover the entire AS syllabus for all 4 subjects by then? if so, how do I go about doing that? I can understand concepts pretty quickly and I'm willing to try my very best. Can someone recommend me youtube channels and other online resources for these subjects please?

Scroll to see replies

You can't catch up 4 subjects in a week
How can your school have covered the entire AS course in Y12 already?? I'm studying for AS rn and we're not even halfway through the content.
Original post by rosy_posy
How can your school have covered the entire AS course in Y12 already?? I'm studying for AS rn and we're not even halfway through the content.

I don't really know but I think they're fast, at least that's what my teachers said.
Original post by leighroseelle
I don't really know but I think they're fast, at least that's what my teachers said.

We're going through the content at quite a fast pace so yours must be overwhelming 😂
We're going through the content at quite a fast pace so yours must be overwhelming 😂

I wouldn't know because I've only attended school for about 2 weeks.

Do you have any tips though? I'm really struggling and beyond stressed atm.
Original post by cristinaros
You can't catch up 4 subjects in a week

You're probably right but I can try
Im a gcse student, but these revison notes may help and study tips
In terms of bio, chem, and physics, look at the spec and use the questions in each topic as flashcards. Btw this is from the aqa spec, don’t know If it’s the same as what ur doing. But it's just an example
Adaptations of gas exchange surfaces, shown by gas exchange:
across the body surface of a single-celled organism
in the tracheal system of an insect (tracheae, tracheoles and spiracles)
across the gills of fish (gill lamellae and filaments including the counter-current principle)
by the leaves of dicotyledonous plants (mesophyll and stomata)

Every key info is on specs, don’t stress out about it.

Biology_A_guide.pdf (s-cool.co.uk)

https://s-cool.co.uk/sites/default/files/Chemistry.pdf

https://s-cool.co.uk/sites/default/files/Physics.pdf

in case your wondering how I found these, search up:

(subject) summarised notes pdf

Into the search engine and some useful info will come up

In terms of maths, just do as much exam styled questions as u can.

Alevelpure.pdf (mathsbox.org.uk)

Don’t expect to get high grades, be realistic and don’t stress and procrastinate and then just give up overall. Just do it. Don’t think about what grades u could have got, or I should have done it sooner. It wont help.

This youtube channel I live by tho is FAYEFILMS
I am so thankful for her content. Shes done these alevels
A Level Mathematics A Level Economics A Level Biology A Level Physics- pretty sure
How I went from Cs to A*A*A*A in A Levels (tips no one told me + notes) - YouTube
STUDY TIPS: How to score A+ for Maths (even with no talent) | A Levels & SPM - YouTube

these are the links, tho it is sent like that for some reason when I copy it. but u get the idea. her yt channel is FAYEFILMS
Do you have any tips though? I'm really struggling and beyond stressed atm.

Tbh I'm overwhelmed too rn. At GCSE it was more bearable because less content was covered in lessons. There is also less help now - the teachers expect us to understand concepts rather than properly explaining things.
So I can't give any tips as I'm still figuring it all out myself :/
Tbh I'm overwhelmed too rn. At GCSE it was more bearable because less content was covered in lessons. There is also less help now - the teachers expect us to understand concepts rather than properly explaining things.
So I can't give any tips as I'm still figuring it all out myself :/

Thank you.
Original post by ChawanAli
In terms of bio, chem, and physics, look at the spec and use the questions in each topic as flashcards. Btw this is from the aqa spec, don’t know If it’s the same as what ur doing. But it's just an example
across the gills of fish (gill lamellae and filaments including the counter-current principle)

Don’t expect to get high grades, be realistic and don’t stress and procrastinate and then just give up overall. Just do it. Don’t think about what grades u could have got, or I should have done it sooner. It wont help.

A Level Mathematics A Level Economics A Level Biology A Level Physics- pretty sure
How I went from Cs to A*A*A*A in A Levels (tips no one told me + notes) - YouTube
STUDY TIPS: How to score A+ for Maths (even with no talent) | A Levels & SPM - YouTube

these are the links, tho it is sent like that for some reason when I copy it. but u get the idea. her yt channel is FAYEFILMS

A-level is such a step up from GCSE though. Your techniques will work for now but not later - there is less info on A-level specs, so it's hard to revise directly from it.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by ChawanAli

Thank you! those pdfs looks really promising. that wasn't what I meant by youtube videos but thank you!
So you’re saying that your school has taught the entire AS content, hence the implication is that the tests will revolve around the entire AS content. I hate to demotivate you, but it’s very unrealistic to learn that much content in a week.

I hate that this has to happen to you, but the best way to handle this is to learn as much content as you can, get whatever mark in the exam and improve afterwards. I know that getting a low grade is demotivating but given the current circumstances, it pretty much is inevitable. Don’t worry, though, as you’ll still have the entire year to learn and practice your content.
A-level is such a step up from GCSE though. Your techniques will work for now but not later - there is less info on A-level specs too, so it's hard to revise directly from it.

Agreed! I was making biology notes according to the spec earlier and it was really vague
Original post by 0ptics
So you’re saying that your school has taught the entire AS content, hence the implication is that the tests will revolve around the entire AS content. I hate to demotivate you, but it’s very unrealistic to learn that much content in a week.

I hate that this has to happen to you, but the best way to handle this is to learn as much content as you can, get whatever mark in the exam and improve afterwards. I know that getting a low grade is demotivating but given the current circumstances, it pretty much is inevitable. Don’t worry, though, as you’ll still have the entire year to learn and practice your content.

That's what my teachers said. I know I can't learn all that in a week because I'll most likely end up with a burnout and that is not an outcome I want but I do wanna learn as much as I can though, do you think I can cover at least half the content this week?
Agreed! I was making biology notes according to the spec earlier and it was really vague

The Sociology spec is so vague, it literally just lists the topics we need to know...and that's it.
A-level is such a step up from GCSE though. Your techniques will work for now but not later - there is less info on A-level specs, so it's hard to revise directly from it.

im aware of that. thanks for the advice
The Sociology spec is so vague, it literally just lists the topics we need to know...and that's it.

Yeah, in biology they just mentioned names of structures and that was it, I have no idea about all the information I need for each of the structure because my textbooks contains different information from class notes and vice versa.
do you think I can cover at least half the content this week?

I can’t say for sure as I don’t know your capabilities. Even if I did, there are still other factors that have to be considered. What do you think?

Quick Reply