The Student Room Group

What's the main purpose of life

Reply 1
Original post by hydara134

If you’re religious, to worship god to avoid hell. If you’re not religious, there is no actual purpose other than what you put to it; it depends on the person. E.g. the purpose of life being to become a doctor/simply be happy/aspire to change society, etc.
Whatever you want your life ambition and legacy to later generations to be. :smile:
Accumulating knowledge, building a business for the next generation to inherit, carving a place in national history, fame, having fun, helping to change the world for the better, making lots of money, widening your skillset, producing works of art/comedy/domestic assistance/literature/crucial technology/weaponry.
Original post by hydara134

There isn’t the main purpose” as more than one purpose can be listed. Survival and reproduction are two of them (note: these aren’t relatively subjective unlike the ones mentioned). What the posters above used are examples of the meaning of life which, whilst similar to purpose to life, is not exactly identical to each other. Of course, this is all my opinion and this stems from how the average person would define purpose.
This thread seems to be a part of a secret :eek4: organisation that want to make a new thread every week!
The purpose of life? Well that's simple!
To live your life as you see befit and to live one with no regrets is what I believe anyhow.
:lep:
Reply 5
Original post by 0ptics
There isn’t the main purpose” as more than one purpose can be listed. Survival and reproduction are two of them (note: these aren’t relatively subjective unlike the ones mentioned). What the posters above used are examples of the meaning of life which, whilst similar to purpose to life, is not exactly identical to each other. Of course, this is all my opinion and this stems from how the average person would define purpose.

Indeed, "Survival and Reproduction". That is the core of it. Any other labelling on what the purpose of life is; is existential which means its what you put to to it. That is, what you choose to do/accomplish with your life
(edited 2 years ago)
Share and Enjoy,

Share and Enjoy,

Journey through life

With a plastic boy

Or girl by your side,

Let your pal be your guide.

And when it breaks down,

Or starts to annoy,

Or grinds when it moves,

And gives you no joy,

Cause it's eaten your hat,

Or had sex with your cat,

Bled oil on your floor,

Or ripped off your door,

And it gets to the point

You can't stand anymore,

Bring it to us,

We won't give a fig.

We'll tell you

Go stick your head in a pig!
According to dale carnegie (in his book “how to win friends and influence people”, which I am reading at the moment) most people want:

Good health
Food
Sleep
Money and the things money can buy
Life in the hereafter
Sexual gratification
The well being of our children
A feeling of importance

This was written in 1936, and still holds true today.

Quick Reply

Latest