The Student Room Group

loading and unloading graphs....

if the forces added during the loading stretch a wire beyond its elastic limit... then the wire would have plastically deformed and would not return to its original length/dimensions... So while unloading.. why is the unloading line parallel to loading line? Despite the length of the wire now being longer.. so shouldn't the wire be less stiff? and so shouldn't the unloading line be less steep relative to the loading line? and not parallel? please help....thank you in advance...
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Abraham_Otaku
if the forces added during the loading stretch a wire beyond its elastic limit... then the wire would have plastically deformed and would not return to its original length/dimensions... So while unloading.. why is the unloading line parallel to loading line? Despite the length of the wire now being longer.. so shouldn't the wire be less stiff? and so shouldn't the unloading line be less steep relative to the loading line? and not parallel? please help....thank you in advance...

Bonds between the particles / atoms are unchanged, so line stays parallel is what I would say.
that doesn't make much sense though(at least I don't think it does..thanks anyway tho) if the bonds remain unchanged... then i don't think it would have exceeded its elastic limit to begin with.. as the bonds would be strong enough to bring it back to its original dimensions which is as the bonds remain unchanged.. this is confusing... the young modulus must remain unchanged(as its still the same material regardless).. but as for the stiiffness.......................
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest