Edinburgh vs St Andrews for Computer Science

Watch this thread
anonymous_lion
Badges: 6
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
I have 2 slots left on my UCAS, what differentiates these 2 courses? Eg reputation, graduate prospects, acceptance rate, social life. Thank you for your time
schoolhelper
Badges: 10
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by anonymous_lion)
I have 2 slots left on my UCAS, what differentiates these 2 courses? Eg reputation, graduate prospects, acceptance rate, social life. Thank you for your time
If you have 2 slots left, why not pick both? Or do you have another uni in mind?
Last edited by schoolhelper; 6 months ago
Blue_Cow
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 6 months ago
Graduate prospects won't differ between the two. There is only so much a university's name can do for you (ie little to nothing) - YOU drive your own prospects by networking and seeking internships. No university, no matter how good is going to help you skip certain interview stages or make the recruitment process easier for you. It's not the 1960s where you just waltz into a job because you went to StA or Edinburgh.

Social life I suspect Edinburgh will be better just because of its location and transport links to Glasgow, Newcastle and of course its many pubs/clubs/bars.

Reputation is much of a muchness. Edinburgh may be better known for AI but there really isn't much between them. Refer back to my first sentence.
Last edited by Blue_Cow; 6 months ago
anonymous_lion
Rep:
(Original post by schoolhelper)
If you have 2 slots left, why not pick both? Or do you have another uni in mind?
I don't currently have a safety (Imperial, Bath and Bristol are all A* or A*A*) so think I should probably also go for somewhere with a lower requirement threshold
anonymous_lion
Rep:
(Original post by Blue_Cow)
Graduate prospects won't differ between the two. There is only so much a university's name can do for you (ie little to nothing) - YOU drive your own prospects by networking and seeking internships. No university, no matter how good is going to help you skip certain interview stages or make the recruitment process easier for you. It's not the 1960s where you just waltz into a job because you went to StA or Edinburgh.

Social life I suspect Edinburgh will be better just because of its location and transport links to Glasgow, Newcastle and of course its many pubs/clubs/bars.

Reputation is much of a muchness. Edinburgh may be better known for AI but there really isn't much between them. Refer back to my first sentence.
This is very helpful, thank you ^^ Unfortunately my parents think that reputation is the sole thing that matters, but it's me sending the UCAS form, right? I'm a fairly social person, so Edinburgh would likely be the better pick for me then.
Blue_Cow
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 6 months ago
This is very helpful, thank you ^^ Unfortunately my parents think that reputation is the sole thing that matters, but it's me sending the UCAS form, right? I'm a fairly social person, so Edinburgh would likely be the better pick for me then.
Yes. Exactly right - glad you feel in control of your application. Don't let your parents influence you too much as it is a completely different graduate job market to when they may have graduated. Good luck with your applications. If it's the social life you are after then you will not be disappointed by Edinburgh.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

What is missing from the school curriculum?

Basic life skills (eg. cooking) (17)
27.42%
Financial skills (eg. taxes, budgeting) (31)
50%
First aid skills (3)
4.84%
Personal safety skills (1)
1.61%
Sign language (8)
12.9%
Expanded sexual health/relationships (1)
1.61%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (1)
1.61%

Watched Threads