Winter 2022 Anime Preview Thread

Watch this thread
AngryJellyfish
Badges: 18
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
Another new year approaches, and with it comes another new anime season! Quite the small lineup this time, and low on sequels, but hopefully there will be still be something of interest. Click the expand tags below to find out more about them, as well as my initial thoughts on each.

(These series are all due to start airing in the first few weeks of January. If you're looking for something to watch between now and then, maybe check last season's preview thread for some ideas!)

-

Akebi-chan no Sailor-fuku

Genre: Slice of Life
Animation Studio: CloverWorks
Japanese Airdate: Jan 9, 2022
Director: Kuroki Miyuki (The Idolmaster Side M)

(Original post by Summary:)
Akebi Komichi lives out in the countryside with her family. She's won entrance to the prestigious Roubai Academy middle school for girls and now she wants only two things—to wear the school's sailor uniform and to make a hundred friends!
What is it about the character designs in the trailer that feels so odd to me? It's the eyes, but I'm not sure if they're simply larger, positioned differently, or just more detailed than usual. :hmmmm2:

Arifureta Shokugyou de Sekai Saikyou 2nd Season

Genre: Action, Fantasy
Director: Iwanaga Akira (Tegami Bachi, Isuca)
Animation Studio: asread., studio MOTHER
Japanese Airdate: Jan 13, 2022

Second season of Arifureta Shokugyou de Sekai Saikyou.
The first sequel of Winter 2022 is for a show I didn't watch first time around; I don't have much to say, except that the opening theme previewed in the trailer sounds lovely.

Baraou no Souretsu

Genre: Drama, Supernatural
Animation Studio: J.C.Staff
Director: Suzuki Kentarou (Marginal #4 Kiss kara Tsukuru Big Bang, Satsuriku no Tenshi)

The crown of England has been hotly contested throughout history, and in the Middle Ages, a series of great civil wars became known as the War of the Roses. Claiming a right to the throne, the Duke of York seeks to unseat King Henry VI and his heir in order to become king himself.

On a dark day filled with many ill omens, the Duke gains a son: Richard Plantagenet, third of his name. Neither male nor female, but instead possessing characteristics of both sexes, Richard III is immediately reviled by his mother. Her hatred defines his childhood, leading to a deep disgust toward his own body and an adverse reaction to being called a demon.

Richard grows up troubled by visions of England's former foe, Joan of Arc, who taunts that he will bring ruin to all who know him. He believes that he can attain salvation by helping his father achieve his destiny of becoming the king. However, cursed by the expectations of both his mother and Joan, will Richard's actions instead drag his family down into darkness?
I did not expect Wars of the Roses when I saw those character designs! And what a dramatic trailer! This one, I am interested in.

Cue!

Genre: Music
Animation Studio: Yumeta Company, Graphinica
Japanese Airdate: Jan 8, 2022
Director: Katagai Shin (Neo Angelique Abyss, Re: Stage! Dream Days)

Anime based on Liber Entertainment's mobile game of the same name in which players train up-and-coming voice actors.
Gets a few points for originality, given that they're voice actors rather than yet more idols, but still not my genre.

Dolls' Frontline

Genre: Action, Sci-Fi
Animation Studio: Asahi Production
Director: Ueda Shigeru (Gekidol, Peach Boy Riverside)

After the third world war, nations devastated by biological warfare no longer have the ability to protect the wastelands, so the defense of these territories is left to private military companies like Griffin & Kryuger, whose android soldiers or "tactical dolls" are tasked with fighting the rogue android army of Sangvis Ferri. Now M4A1, the indecisive but potentially capable leader of the elite "Anti-Rain" team must protect her comrades in a series of operations to try and regain the upper hand against Sangvis Ferri.
Action and sci-fi are very much my genres, but I'm not convinced by this. If nothing else, the characters names (capital letters and numbers) seem like they'd be difficult to remember.

Fantasy Bishoujo Juniku Ojisan to

Genre: Adventure, Fantasy
Animation Studio: OLM Team Yoshioka
Japanese Airdate: Jan 12, 2022
Director: Yamai Sayaka

The story follows Tachibana Hinata, an average 32 year old office worker, and his handsome childhood friend, Jinguuji Tsukasa. Hinata is so unpopular with women that he jokingly laments that he wishes he could reincarnate as a beautiful girl, but his wish is accidentally granted when he and Tsukasa are summoned to a magical fantasy world and tasked with defeating the Demon King by the Goddess of Love and Beauty. Can Hinata conquer the Demon King and get his original body back before he and his best friend fall for each other?
I'm impressed that they're still finding new gimmicks for these isekai reincarnation shows. Not interested, but I did like the fluffy monstrosity from the trailer.

Futsal Boys!!!!!

Genre: Sports
Animation Studio: Diomedéa
Director: Hiiro Yukina (Chuu Bra!!, Hitorijime My Hero)

The franchise's story is set in a world over a decade after futsal has skyrocketed in global popularity. Protagonist Haru Yamato watches the championship of the U-18 world cup and is inspired by a Japanese player named Tokinari Tenōji. He joins the Koyo Academy High School's futsal team with the goal of becoming a player like Tenōji. There, he finds friends, and together they face their rivals.
It's a shame they had to invent a world where their sport is actually popular, in order to have enough teams and tournaments for a plot. Seems low budget, too.

Genjitsu Shugi Yuusha no Oukoku Saikenki 2nd Season

Director: Watanabe Takashi (Shakugan no Shana, Taboo Tattoo)

Second season of Genjitsu Shugi Yuusha no Oukoku Saikenki.
Didn't watch the first series, so won't be watching this; saving a fantasy world through bureaucracy sounds dire.

Gensou Sangokushi: Tengen Reishinki

Genre: Fantasy
Animation Studio: GEEK TOYS
Japanese Airdate: Jan 11, 2022
Director: Machitani Shunsuke

The story of Gensou Sangokushi: Tengen Reishinki is set during the Three Kingdoms period in China, where various warlords and their armies attempt to conquer and unify the nation. The struggles of these mighty martial heroes attracts the attention of the Mouryou King, the monstrous sovereign of evil spirits, who wishes to prolong the conflict and destroy the human world.

To oppose the evil of the Mouryou King, an organization called Tengen forms anti-Mouryou armies that do battle all over China, but when the 6th anti-Mouryou corps is suddenly wiped out, a rag-tag band of adventurers is gathered to replace them and to form the new 6th anti-Mouryou corps.
Anime adaptation of a long-running RPG series (also known as Fantasia Sango); trailer looked quite stylish. A maybe.

Hakozume: Kouban Joshi no Gyakushuu

Genre: Comedy, Slice of Life
Animation Studio: Madhouse
Japanese Airdate: Jan 5, 2022
Director: Satou Yuuzou (Gokusen, One Outs)

Female police officer Kawai had enough of a career she wasn't even that into and was about to hand in her registration, when the unthinkable happened—she met the new, female director of her station! And after spending a little time with this gorgeous role model, Kawai realizes that maybe she isn't quite done being an officer after all.
Haven't come across many comedy anime with a police force setting. Could be alright, depends on the writing I guess, as comedy is the most subjective genre.

Kaijin Kaihatsu-bu no Kuroitsu-san

Genre: Comedy, Fantasy
Animation Studio: Quad
Director: Saitou Hisashi (Sora no Otoshimono, Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai)

Kuroitsu is an assistant researcher in the superhuman research & development department of Agastya, a villainous secret organization that battles with heroes who try to save the world. Kuroitsu lives a busy life in Agastya, caught between the absurd requests of her bosses; making presentations; implementing new features into superhumans; and getting results within the allotted time, budget, and spec requests; all without vacation.
This sounds like a safer bet for me, comedy-wise – I'm up for some parody mad science and super villain creations.

Karakai Jouzu no Takagi-san 3

Genre: Comedy, Romance
Animation Studio: Shin-Ei Animation
Director: Akagi Hiroaki (Hina Logi: From Luck & Logic, Mashiro no Oto)

Third season of Karakai Jouzu Takagi-san.
I found the first series mildly cute and entertaining, but not enough to rush out and watch the second.

Kenja no Deshi wo Nanoru Kenja

Animation Studio: Studio A-CAT
Japanese Airdate: Jan 12, 2022
Director: Motonaga Keitarou (Lovedol: Lovely Idol, Jormungand)

Sakimori Kagami plays a VRMMORPG called Arch Earth Online. He is a veteran player with the name and appearance similar to an elderly bearded wizard from a certain book about a ring.

One day he purchases an appearance change item as a last resort to spend expiring currency and gets the idea of choosing what he would want to look like if his character was ever a girl.

Falling asleep should have suspended the game, but Kagami wakes up still online and feels the game has has gotten a bit more realistic. Did Arch Earth Online finally get a long-awaited update?
'Trapped in a fantasy game' anime are usually indiscernible from reincarnation isekai; both have been overdone to the point that I've lost interest.

Koroshi Ai

Genre: Action, Romance
Animation Studio: Platinum Vision
Japanese Airdate: Jan 2022
Director: Ooba Hideaki (Kono Oto Tomare!, Kai Byoui Ramune)

The silent and stoic Chateau Dankworth is a bounty hunter. Her target: Son Ryang-ha, a notorious killer known for killing 18 high-class officials in a single night. To this day, his murders remain swift, efficient, and bloody. However, after Son Ryang-ha overpowers Chateau in their first encounter, he reveals his own intentions: he too is after her, aiming for her heart.

Son Ryang-ha's attempts to catch her eye are quite unique, to say the least. He offers gifts to her in the form of her current targets, tied up and battered, and will do anything to spend more time together. Reluctantly, Chateau goes along with this act, and so begins the cat-and-mouse game of love between two killers.
Can we stop for a moment, and appreciate that the protagonist is called Chateau Dankworth? Plot and premise are pretty cool, but I'm going to struggle to take that name seriously!

Leadale no Daichi nite

Animation Studio: Maho Film
Japanese Airdate: Jan 5, 2022
Director: Yanase Yuuji (Isekai wa Smartphone to Tomo ni., Kami-tachi ni Hirowareta Otoko)

After a horrific accident put her on life support, the last vestige of freedom Kagami Keina had was in the VRMMORPG World of Leadale. When she wakes up in the body of her game avatar, though, Keina - now Cayna - finds that the worries of her old life appear to be a thing of the past, but somehow this new land doesn't seem to be quite the Leadale she remembers...
This one really proves my earlier point about game worlds and isekai being the same. At least this seems to have a reasonable budget.

Ninjala

Genre: Action, Comedy
Animation Studio: OLM
Director: Kanbe Mamoru (Elfen Lied, Yakusoku no Neverland)

The year is 20XX. The ninja, who once forged the history of Japan, were scattered across the country during the Meiji Restoration. As these ninja mingled with the other clans, their bloodline thinned, and they gradually faded from sight. The descendants of these ninja clans, seeking to preserve their heritage, formed the WNA (World Ninja Association) in the hope of carrying on their legacy.

And so it was that the WNA succeeded in developing Ninja-Gum, an art which could summon forth the strength of the Shinobi. And yet creating the most powerful Ninja-Gum requires the strongest of ninja DNA. So it was that the Ninjala Tournament was held, that the mightiest of all ninjas could be found...
No trailer, but the Nintendo Switch game it's based on looks fun. A series of animated shorts already exists, but apparently this adaptation is full-length.

Orient

Animation Studio: A.C.G.T.
Japanese Airdate: Jan 6, 2022
Director: Yanagisawa Tetsuya (Kannazuki no Miko, High School DxD)

Five years ago, Musashi made a promise with his friend Kojirou Kanemaki that once they grew up, they would become samurai, form a league, and go on demon-slaying quests. But since then, things have changed. With demons now being praised and worshipped by society, the samurai are shunned and disgraced.

Afraid of revealing his dream of becoming a samurai, Musashi blends into the town's dogma by becoming a miner while secretly polishing his swordsmanship. Meanwhile, despite being a direct descendant of a samurai, Kojirou gives up on his promise to his old friend. However, after saving Musashi from a near-death experience, his perspective shifts. Although still conflicted, Kojirou embarks on a journey with Musashi in the hopes of figuring out his true feelings.

Fighting against all odds, the duo dives headfirst into the unknown world of beast-slaying, not knowing what life has in store for them. Now astride iron horses, the fifteen-year-old heroes plan to restore the tarnished reputation of the samurai and purge the world of demons.
An adaptation Ohtaka Shinobu (creator of Magi)'s latest work; action-packed and brightly coloured, looks fine to me.

Princess Connect! Re:Dive Season 2

Animation Studio: CygamesPictures
Director: Iwamoto Yasuo

Second season of Princess Connect! Reive.
Finally, a sequel I can actually watch. And I probably will, I enjoyed the cast and their ridiculous antics first time around. Great production values from Cygames' internal studio, too.
Last edited by AngryJellyfish; 4 months ago
AngryJellyfish
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Ryman's Club

Genre: Sports, Work Life
Animation Studio: LIDENFILMS
Japanese Airdate: Jan 23, 2022
Director: Yamauchi Ami

Ryman's Club is set in a badminton business group, depicting the two different aspects of daily life as a salaryman, as well as growth and conflicts as players. The anime follows Mikoto Shiratori, a prodigy badminton player who suffers from a trauma following a loss at the inter-high tournament. He becomes a salaryman at the Sunlight Beverage company and befriends Tatsuru Miyazumi, the best performing player and salesman in the team.
Much better looking than the futsal anime trailer, and the fact they're salarymen rather than high schoolers (or even professional players) is quite original.

Sabiiro no Armor: Reimei

Genre: Action, Historical
Animation Studio: Kigumi
Director: Kawahara Shimmei (Toufu Kozou)

The anime adaptation of Rusted Armors, a multimedia project that first started with a stage play and a manga adaptation. The project focuses on the relationship between the gun-toting Magoichi — who is the leader of the Saika Ikki mercenary group — and the Sengoku era warlord Oda Nobunaga.
I usually find myself drawn to clunky 3D anime, they're either terrible or oddly charming (or both). I think this is the first that hasn't left any impression on me at all.

Sabikui Bisco

Animation Studio: OZ
Director: Ikariya Atsushi

A plague-like wind blows across the arid, sandy expanse of a post-apocalyptic Japan. As it sweeps over the living and nonliving alike, rust is all that remains in its wake. The cause of the catastrophic state of the world is believed to be mushroom spores. Bisco Akaboshi, known as the "Man-Eating Mushroom," is a wanted criminal archer whose arrows instantly grow mushrooms wherever they land. However, he is in truth a "Mushroom Protector," a person who spreads fungi in order to enrich the land and return it to its previous state.

Alongside the crab Akutagawa and young doctor Milo Nekoyanagi, Bisco ventures through the wastelands of Japan searching for the legendary "Sabikui"—a panacean mushroom said to devour all forms of rust.
OZ's first work as a main animation studio... trailer looks very promising! I like the bleak rusted landscapes, and the giant mushrooms, it's like this was made for me.

Saiyuuki Reload: Zeroin

Genre: Action, Supernatural
Director: Takada Misato

When the monstrous Gyumaoh was defeated by the war god Nataku Taishi and imprisoned in Houtou Castle, an era of peace began in the land of Togenkyo. Now, hundreds of years later, those seeking to resurrect Gyumaoh have unleashed a plague upon the world. The wave of negative power generated by his attempted resurrection has driven youkai to the brink of insanity. To save humanity from violent slaughter, Kanzeon Bosatsu sends Son Goku, Genjo Sanzo, Sha Gojyo, and Cho Hakkai to the west in order to prevent Gyumaoh from rising once again.
Another sequel that's wasted on me, though it's nice to see the franchise is still going strong. Maybe I'll find time for the original 2003 adaptation one day.

Sasaki to Miyano

Genre: Romance, Slice of Life
Animation Studio: Studio Deen
Japanese Airdate: Jan 10, 2022
Director: Ishihira Shinji (Log Horizon, Munou na Nana)

Miyano spends his days peacefully reading Boys' Love comics and worrying about how girly his face is-until a chance encounter leads to a scuffle with his senior Sasaki. Intrigued by his feisty junior Miyano, delinquent Sasaki uses every opportunity he can to get closer...
I always associate Studio Deen with BL and GL for some reason, think it's just that they were the main ones producing it when I first got into anime. This is their first in a while, though!

Shikkakumon no Saikyou Kenja

Director: Akitaya Noriaki (Bakuman, Tonari no Kyuuketsuki-san)

In a world of magic, the powers and future of a mage are predetermined at birth through so-called "Marks"—four symbols that categorize a human's aptitude for magic. Lamenting the fact that his mark was considered ill-suited for combat and only useful for magic augmentation, an incredibly skilled sage decided to reincarnate thousands years in the future.

Reborn as Mathias Hildesheimr—a six-year-old boy and the third son of a duke's family—he attains the mark of close combat he always desired. Unfortunately, it is also discovered that mankind's knowledge of magic and swordsmanship has drastically deteriorated in this era; only shoddy magic equipment can be sporadically found, while even the most basic spells have been forgotten. To add insult to injury, his current mark, once hailed as the most powerful, is now viewed as the worst.

When Mathias becomes 12 years old, his unrivaled swordsmanship lands him in the Second Royal Academy. Shattering prejudices, he promptly makes ripples in the academy and beyond. However, the former sage uncovers signs of dark forces working in the shadows, and with humanity weaker than ever, it is up to Mathias to thwart their evil plans.
Technically not isekai, since at least this protagonist was already there and already powerful. Doesn't make me any more likely to watch it, though.

Shingeki no Kyojin: The Final Season Part 2

Animation Studio: MAPPA
Director: Hayashi Yuuichirou (Kakegurui, Dorohedoro)

Second part of Shingeki no Kyojin: The Final Season.
Apparently this 'final season' is the actual final season, no third part continuation or whatever this time. It's been a long ride, mostly enjoyable, and I'm hardly going to drop it now!

Shuumatsu no Harem

Genre: Sci-Fi, Ecchi
Animation Studio: Studio Gokumi, AXsiZ
Japanese Airdate: Oct 8, 2021
Director: Nobuta Yuu (High School Fleet, Saihate no Paladin)

The Man-Killer Virus: a lethal disease that has eradicated 99.9% of the world's male population. Mizuhara Reito has been in cryogenic sleep for the past five years, leaving behind Tachibana Erisa, the girl of his dreams. When Reito awakens from the deep freeze, he emerges into a sex-crazed new world where he himself is the planet's most precious resource. Reito and four other male studs are given lives of luxury and one simple mission: repopulate the world by impregnating as many women as possible! All Reito wants, however, is to find his beloved Erisa who went missing three years ago. Can Reito resist temptation and find his one true love?
Originally scheduled to air in Autumn 2021 before being delayed, here's what I had to say then: “The plot is literally just sex”.

Slow Loop

Genre: Slice of Life, Sports
Animation Studio: Connect
Japanese Airdate: Jan 7, 2022
Director: Akitaya Noriaki (Joukamachi no Dandelion, Active Raid: Kidou Kyoushuushitsu Dai Hachi Gakari, )

When Hiyori - a young girl whose deceased father taught her the joys of fishing - headed out to sea for some alone time, she never thought that she would encounter another girl there.

After a while, this girl named Koharu - and her end up fishing and cooking together, and they get to know each other a bit in the meantime. During their brief time together Koharu finds out that the reason Hiyori went out to sea that day was because she's hesitant towards meeting her new step family that same evening. But what a coincidence! Koharu is also meeting her new family tonight! "No. It can't be a coincidence..." Follow these two 'sisters' and their new life together!
Looks similar to 2020's Houkago Teibou Nisshi, which I enjoyed; that had Doga Kobo's magical charm going for it, though. I'm not being drawn to this the same way.

Sono Bisque Doll wa Koi wo Suru

Genre: Romance, Slice of Life
Director: Shinohara Keisuke (Black Fox, A3! Season Spring & Summer)

Traumatized by a childhood incident with a friend who took exception to his love of traditional dolls, doll-artisan hopeful Wakana Gojou passes his days as a loner, finding solace in the home ec room at his high school. To Wakana, people like beautiful Marin Kitagawa, a trendy girl who's always surrounded by a throng of friends, is practically an alien from another world. But when cheerful Marin—never one to be shy—spots Wakana sewing away one day after school, she barges in with the aim of roping her quiet classmate into her secret hobby: cosplay! Will Wakana's wounded heart be able to handle the invasion from this sexy alien?!
Gorgeous looking animation in the trailer. Doll / cosplay dress making anime sounds good to me, think this is a must watch.

Tensai Ouji no Akaji Kokka Saisei Jutsu

Animation Studio: Yokohama Animation Lab
Director: Tamagawa Masato (Nurse Witch Komugi-chan Magikarte)

It ain't easy being a genius...

Prince Wein is ready to commit treason. And who can blame him? Faced with the impossible task of ruling his pathetic little kingdom, this poor guy just can't catch a break! But with his brilliant idea of auctioning off his country, this lazy prince should be able to retire once and for all. Or that was the plan...until his treasonous schemes lead to disastrous consequences-namely, accidental victories and the favor of his people!
No isekai element, no reincarnation element, no game world. I'm giving it extra consideration for that alone. A maybe, could be fun.

Tokyo 24-ku

Genre: :iiam:
Director: Tsuda Naokatsu (Inu x Boku Secret Service, JoJo no Kimyou na Bouken: Stardust Crusaders)

An artificial island in Tokyo Bay—Kyokutou Houreigai Tokubetsu Chiku (Far East Special District), commonly known as the 24-ku (24th Ward).

Childhood friends Ran, Kouki, and Shuuta, who were born and raised there, have different family backgrounds, hobbies, and personalities, but always hung out together. However, their relationship changes drastically in the wake of a certain incident.

At the first anniversary memorial of the incident, the three friends happen to meet again and their phones begin to ring simultaneously. The phone call is from a supposedly dead friend, urging them to "choose the future." The three will try to protect their beloved 24th Ward and the future of its people in their own ways.
With no genre tags listed, and a fairly nondescript title, this wasn't on my radar. Having just watched the trailer, it certainly is now!

Tribe Nine

Genre: Action, Sports
Director: Aoki Yuu (Bean Bandit, Inzai Aru Aru Monogatari)

Haru Shirogane is a weak-minded person who is constantly bullied while Taiga has traveled from across the sea in hopes of becoming the strongest man in the world. One night, the two meet up with Shun Kamiya, the strongest XB (Extreme Baseball) player, and leader of the Minato Tribe. When they meet, each of the Tribes scattered throughout Neo-Tokyo are about to face a major threat.

On the orders of the King of Neo-Tokyo, "Houtenshin", from the Chiyoda Tribe, led by the mysterious Ojiro Otori, has started to take control of all the tribes in the country. Their evil clutches are about to reach the Minato Tribe...
A flashier, extreme sports anime, with unmistakable character designs from Kodaka Kazutaka of Danganronpa fame. Probably worth a look!

Vanitas no Carte 2nd Season

Genre: Mystery, Supernatural
Animation Studio: Bones
Japanese Airdate: Jan 15, 2022
Director: Itamura Tomoyuki (Owarimonogatari, Koyomimonogatari)

The second series of Vanitas no Carte. It’s 19th-century Paris, and young vampire Noé hunts for the Book of Vanitas. Attacked by a vampire driven insane, a human doctor called Vanitas tempts Noé with a mad crusade to “cure” the entire vampire race. While allying with him may be dangerous, news reaches Vanitas that the Beast of Gévaudan has returned, and Noé is being brought along to investigate this phantom from the past.
And we end on another sequel, only the third this season that's of interest to me. Love the main characters of this series, and the Gevaudan beast looks like an exciting foe too!

-

All the info has been sourced from AniChart, AniDB, AniList, Youtube and MAL. If you think I've missed any upcoming full-length TV anime off this list, let me know and I'll look into them.
AngryJellyfish
Rep:
Watching:

Tokyo 24-ku

Sono Bisque Doll wa Koi wo Suru

Baraou no Souretsu

Shingeki no Kyojin: The Final Season Part 2

Princess Connect! Re: Dive Season 2

Sabikui Bisco

Tribe Nine

Vanitas no Carte 2nd Season

Dropped:

Koroshi Ai

Kaijin Kaihatsu-bu no Kuroitsu-san
AngryJellyfish
Rep:
Replaced trailer for Akebi-chan no Sailor-fuku with the Crunchyroll English subtitled one.

AngryJellyfish
Rep:
The first few of these new series start airing tomorrow! :yay: Are there any, new or returning, that you're looking forward to? Post below!

As usual, I'll be sharing my thoughts on a few of the first episodes, as I watch them - at least for the 8 in my want to watch list, maybe a few more if I have time.
AngryJellyfish
Rep:
It begins! With a double-length episode, to boot:

Tokyo 24-ku (Tokyo 24th Ward)

The series is set on an artificial island in Tokyo bay, and focuses on 3 main characters: artistic hacker Akagi Ran, smart and serious Suidou Kouki, and super athletic wannabe hero Aoi Shuuta. Though formerly close, their relationship has been awkward since a fire at their school killed their friend (and Kouki's sister) Suidou Asumi a year ago. But when the three meet on the anniversary of that event, they each receive a phone call at the same time - a call claiming to be from the deceased Asumi! With the call comes a vision, foretelling another disaster and the potential death of another friend. Will they be able to work together to prevent a second tragedy?

A solid first episode! A lot of characters were introduced, most of them very fun. The plot has some real potential, plenty of mystery. Fantastic direction and animation too... though if the chief animation director's social media posts are accurate, that may not hold up for long. :erm: For now though, absolutely picked up.

Official Crunchyroll link: https://www.crunchyroll.com/en-gb/tokyo-24th-ward
Official Funimation link: https://www.funimation.com/shows/tokyo-24th-ward
AngryJellyfish
Rep:
Sono Bisque Doll wa Koi wo Suru (My Dress-Up Darling)

Gojou Wakana has been obsessed with his grandfather's traditional handcrafted Hina dolls since early childhood. Now in high school, he spends all his free time making the dolls, and the clothes to fit them. Unfortunately, he is scared to discuss his hobby with friends, fearing it may be seen as 'girly', and with little else to talk about, he is soon isolated. One of his classmates, the bubbly and popular Kitagawa Marin, seems like his complete opposite... until he learns that she too has a niche interest, in cosplay! But since Marin's skills and knowledge of dressmaking are non-existent, she asks Wakana to make the clothes for her.

And so begins this promising rom-com! Not usually my genre, but the craftwork, fashion and cosplay themes are of interest, and the main duo seem fantastic so far. GORGEOUS animation from CloverWorks, but see the previous warning from Tokyo 24-ku's chief animation director - three simultaneous series is a lot for one studio, hopefully the production will go smoothly.

Official Crunchyroll link: https://www.crunchyroll.com/en-gb/my-dress-up-darling
Official Funimation link: https://www.funimation.com/shows/my-dress-up-darling
AngryJellyfish
Rep:
Baraou no Souretsu (Requiem of the Rose King)

Wars of the Roses - The Anime! This is based on William Shakespeare's Henry VI and Richard III plays, with the latter serving as our main character. The young Richard Plantagenet was born intersex, and hated as a cursed child by his mother. However, his father the Duke of York dotes on him, and Richard would like nothing more than to see him claim the English throne. When his father returns from battle victorious, but only granted the title of Protector, Richard convinces him to try again... but while the war rages on, Richard happens to meet a young 'shepherd' named Henry - who in actual fact is none other than the eccentric king Henry.

500+ years of history may serve as spoilers for their ultimate fates, but I look forward to seeing how their story and relationship are portrayed here. The pacing was a bit jarring in this first ep, due to multiple time skips, but still easy to follow. Love the art style and use of dark colours in the more dramatic scenes.

Official Funimation link: https://www.funimation.com/shows/req...-the-rose-king
AngryJellyfish
Rep:
Shingeki no Kyojin: The Final Season Part 2 (Attack on Titan: The Final Season Part 2)

As usual, I'll keep my thoughts on the sequels short - if you've watched all the earlier series of Attack on Titan, you're probably going to want to see how it ends. If you're not up to date, anything I say about this episode would be spoilers. As with Final Season Part 1, animation is by MAPPA instead of the earlier WIT Studio, and uses the same clunky CGI for some Titan battle scenes. Other than that, glad to have the series back!

Official Crunchyroll link: https://www.crunchyroll.com/en-gb/attack-on-titan
Official Funimation link: https://www.funimation.com/shows/attack-on-titan
AngryJellyfish
Rep:
Princess Connect! Re: Dive Season 2

Another sequel! Princess Connect! Re: Dive follows the adventures of the Gourmet Guild, four friends (Yuuki, Pecorine, Kokkoro and Karyl) who go on adventures in the fantasy land of Astraea, in search of the greatest food and/or ingredients. The first series did have an actual plot, but slice of life antics took up most of the airtime, and I doubt S2 will be any different. I love these characters~

Official Crunchyroll link: https://www.crunchyroll.com/en-gb/pr...onnect-re-dive
AngryJellyfish
Rep:
Seasonal reminder that other people are allowed to post here! :puppyeyes: Anyone watching anything from the new season, or planning to? Let me know! Here's my thoughts on another new anime:

Sabikui Bisco

This series is set in a post-apocalyptic Japan, where the wind carries a rusting illness that threatens humans and structures alike. This rust is supposedly linked to mushroom spores, and those who grow and trade in mushrooms are hunted as criminals. In particular, there is a huge bounty out for a man named Akaboshi Bisco, a terrorist whose bow causes enormous mushrooms to sprout wherever its arrows land! But is he really causing the rust? Other major characters introduced so far include a kind-hearted doctor named Milo, who is determined to find a cure for the illness, and his sister Pawoo, captain of the watch, who is herself succumbing to the rust.

Definitely a slower introductory episode than any of the others so far, spending more time on introduction and world building than on action, though it did a very good job of it. I liked the contrast between the otherwise dark and serious look and tone, and the sudden skyscraper-sized fungi popping up out of nowhere... and did I see a slug-plane hybrid at one point!? :laugh: Bonkers, but in a good way. :yy:

Official Crunchyroll link: https://www.crunchyroll.com/en-gb/sabikui-bisco
Official Funimation link: https://www.funimation.com/shows/sabikui-bisco
AngryJellyfish
Rep:
Added Funimation links for Sono Bisque Doll wa Koi wo Suru and Tokyo 24-ku; I usually check Crunchyroll first because it's my preferred streaming service, but apparently a lot of series are airing on both this time around!
AngryJellyfish
Rep:
:tumble:

Koroshi Ai (Love of Kill)

Chateau Dankworth (I still can't get over her name) is a bounty hunter. One of her targets is a man named Son Ryang-ha - and he's targeting her too, in a different way. Their first encounter ends with Son disarming and overpowering Chateau, but instead of killing her, he asks her name. Since then, he has been constantly bombarding her with calls, which she never answers. This leads him to take a different approach: capturing her targets for her, offering easy money in exchange for simple things like a Christmas Eve date. But are Son's interests purely romantic, or will this dangerous character end up using Chateau for more nefarious purposes, as she fears?

Romance isn't usually my genre. I was hoping this setting would be dark and mysterious enough to hold my interest - and it does have some potential. What little hints we've seen of Chateau's backstory are intriguing, and the action scenes aren't bad. Assassinations were fairly graphic too, not a series for the squeamish! But, I'm not convinced its for me.

Official Crunchyroll link: https://www.crunchyroll.com/en-gb/love-of-kill
AngryJellyfish
Rep:
Kaijin Kaihatsu-bu no Kuroitsu-san (Miss Kuroitsu From the Monster Development Department)

Japan is under threat from several evil organisations, each bent on taking over the country, and eventually the world! Fortunately, local heroes fight to keep them and their monsters in check. One such evil organisation is Agastya, and they are in need of some new, innovative monsters in order to defeat their enemy, Kenshin Blader. Enter Kuroitsu-san, who works for their monster development department! In this first episode, she had to give a presentation selling the supposed strengths of a blatantly rushed and lazy monster proposal, as well as implement last minute design change requests directly from the supreme leader.

This seems like an okay comedy for anyone who's really into super sentai / Power Ranger-type shows, which it is obviously a parody of. Bringing the realities of office work, deadlines and budgets into evil monster design isn't a bad idea. But though a few of the gags made me smile, it didn't leave me howling with laughter either.

Official Crunchyroll link: https://www.crunchyroll.com/en-gb/mi...ent-department
AngryJellyfish
Rep:
Tribe Nine

After violent gang warfare between tribes from each of Tokyo's 23 wards poses too much of a threat to the city's peace, the government comes up with a solution: all disagreements between the tribes must now be resolved via the sport of Extreme Baseball. The sport's general rules and scoring resemble actual baseball, except anything goes when it comes to equipment, apparently. Rocket-powered bat? Armoured mech suit with built in pitching rail gun? All fine! Our main cast is Kamiya Shun, supposedly the greatest XB player of all; Taiga, a tuna fisherman looking to apply his transferable skills to the sport; and Shirogane Haru, a weak and cowardly character whose fast reflexes catch Kamiya's eye.

This first episode, and the 'sport' it focused on, were really dumb. But, I thoroughly enjoyed it. Everything was just so high energy and over the top that it just worked. Animation wasn't the best we've seen this season, but the nice neon glow style and unmistakable character designs by Kodaka Kazutaka of Danganronpa fame largely make up for that.

Official Funimation link: https://www.funimation.com/shows/tribe-nine
AngryJellyfish
Rep:
Vanitas no Carte 2nd Season (The Case Study of Vanitas 2nd Season)

After hearing that the Beast of Gevaudan has reappeared, Vanitas, Noe and co head to the Silver Forest in search of it - and almost immediately end fighting the massive creature (a curse-bearer vampire). Also present are a homicidal Chasseur named Astolfo, the borreau Jeanne, and a Charlatan parade... battle royale ensues. Oh, and they've all been whisked back in time, too. A chaotic but strong re-introductory ep!

Official Funimation link: https://www.funimation.com/v/the-case-study-of-vanitas
Kallisto
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by AngryJellyfish)
:tumble:

Koroshi Ai (Love of Kill)

Chateau Dankworth (I still can't get over her name) is a bounty hunter. One of her targets is a man named Son Ryang-ha - and he's targeting her too, in a different way. Their first encounter ends with Son disarming and overpowering Chateau, but instead of killing her, he asks her name. Since then, he has been constantly bombarding her with calls, which she never answers. This leads him to take a different approach: capturing her targets for her, offering easy money in exchange for simple things like a Christmas Eve date. But are Son's interests purely romantic, or will this dangerous character end up using Chateau for more nefarious purposes, as she fears?

Romance isn't usually my genre. I was hoping this setting would be dark and mysterious enough to hold my interest - and it does have some potential. What little hints we've seen of Chateau's backstory are intriguing, and the action scenes aren't bad. Assassinations were fairly graphic too, not a series for the squeamish! But, I'm not convinced its for me.

Official Crunchyroll link: https://www.crunchyroll.com/en-gb/love-of-kill
Sounds like an anime I can be fond of in 2022. I have not watched a romance anime for a long time, I don't mind this genre. And if it is combined with bounty hunters and assassinations, I am interest in.
AngryJellyfish
Rep:
(Original post by Kallisto)
Sounds like an anime I can be fond of in 2022. I have not watched a romance anime for a long time, I don't mind this genre. And if it is combined with bounty hunters and assassinations, I am interest in.
Yeah, it's an interesting combination that could definitely work well together.
alow
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by AngryJellyfish)
Sono Bisque Doll wa Koi wo Suru (My Dress-Up Darling)

Gojou Wakana has been obsessed with his grandfather's traditional handcrafted Hina dolls since early childhood. Now in high school, he spends all his free time making the dolls, and the clothes to fit them. Unfortunately, he is scared to discuss his hobby with friends, fearing it may be seen as 'girly', and with little else to talk about, he is soon isolated. One of his classmates, the bubbly and popular Kitagawa Marin, seems like his complete opposite... until he learns that she too has a niche interest, in cosplay! But since Marin's skills and knowledge of dressmaking are non-existent, she asks Wakana to make the clothes for her.

And so begins this promising rom-com! Not usually my genre, but the craftwork, fashion and cosplay themes are of interest, and the main duo seem fantastic so far. GORGEOUS animation from CloverWorks, but see the previous warning from Tokyo 24-ku's chief animation director - three simultaneous series is a lot for one studio, hopefully the production will go smoothly.

Official Crunchyroll link: https://www.crunchyroll.com/en-gb/my-dress-up-darling
Official Funimation link: https://www.funimation.com/shows/my-dress-up-darling
This has been pretty good so far - the scene at the end of episode 2 where Gojou's Grandad showed up and saw him taking notes was hilarious
AngryJellyfish
Rep:
(Original post by alow)
This has been pretty good so far - the scene at the end of episode 2 where Gojou's Grandad showed up and saw him taking notes was hilarious
Yeah, proper 'Are ya winning, (grand)son?' meme vibes. :rofl: Probably my favourite of the season, 2 eps in.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has advance information helped during your exams?

Yes (128)
66.32%
No (43)
22.28%
I didn't use it to prepare (22)
11.4%

Watched Threads