The Student Room Group

This discussion is no longer active so you won't be able to reply.Check out other Related discussions

UCAS application retake

I retook maths except I didn’t do any exam, they just predicted it due to the pandemic. Do I need to specify that I didn’t take an exam? And how do I put in the retake, in the school I did my GCSEs or the school that I retook it? Thank you

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Asktions
I retook maths except I didn’t do any exam, they just predicted it due to the pandemic. Do I need to specify that I didn’t take an exam? And how do I put in the retake, in the school I did my GCSEs or the school that I retook it? Thank you

If you do enter the retake, it will count against you if you are applying to a really good university. So I wouldn't put it down tbh.

Many people 'forget' to enter a retake and it never comes around to haunt them.
Original post by Asktions

You MUST list each awarded grade if those grades are officially awarded by an exam board.

If you retake a qualification then you MUST list each awarded grade.

Each grade awarded needs to be associated with the exam centre where you were entered for the qualification
Reply 3
Original post by Math.Qs
If you do enter the retake, it will count against you if you are applying to a really good university. So I wouldn't put it down tbh.

This is what I was thinking but I don’t want to risk it. It looks really bad and messy on my application.
Original post by Math.Qs

That's incredibly bad advice - UCAS quite clearly state you must enter every grade you've been awarded.

Please don't give such foolish advice - if caught your whole application can be thrown out.
Original post by Math.Qs
If you do enter the retake, it will count against you if you are applying to a really good university.

I cannot think of any Unis that penalise GCSE resits.
Original post by Muttley79
That's incredibly bad advice - UCAS quite clearly state you must enter every grade you've been awarded.

Please don't give such foolish advice - if caught your whole application can be thrown out.

I strongly doubt this. If you look through past threads on here you can find many threads of people saying things along the lines "Omg omg... i just noticed i entered the wrong grade on UCAS... what should i do!?!?!" They then get instructed to contact UCAS of the mistake and it gets rectified. No harm, no foul. This suggests to me that a few minor grade omissions will not lead to anything if you just say it was a mistake lol.
Original post by Math.Qs
I strongly doubt this. If you look through past threads on here you can find many threads of people saying things along the lines "Omg omg... i just noticed i entered the wrong grade on UCAS... what should i do!?!?!" They then get instructed to contact UCAS of the mistake and it gets rectified. No harm, no foul. This suggests to me that a few minor grade omissions will not lead to anything if you just say it was a mistake lol.

You are wrong @PQ - please correct this poster

When they come to match your results up there will be an issue - 'pretending' you forgot at that stage is unlikely to be believed.

Schools should be checking what is submitted - we do - so 'mistakes' should not happen and deliberate ones are fradulent.
When they come to match your results up there will be an issue

If only you knew how wrong you were... but I won't incriminate myself. :h:
Reply 9
Original post by Math.Qs

I have known someone who missed off their GCSE PE grade as it spoilt their otherwise top grades. The university didn't care about the GCSE PE grade but did care they'd deliberately missed it off and rejected them (for medicine)..
Original post by Math.Qs
I strongly doubt this.

Yes, you can correct genuine mistakes - https://www.ucas.com/forms/request-amend-qualifications-listed-your-application - but that is not the same as deliberate deception which is rightly regarded as fraud by UCAS and all Universities.
Original post by McGinger
Yes, you can correct genuine mistakes - https://www.ucas.com/forms/request-amend-qualifications-listed-your-application - but that is not the same as deliberate deception which is rightly regarded as fraud by UCAS and all Universities.

Now let's suppose that you are on the UCAS fraud team. How do you differentiate between lies and genuine mistakes? The answer is you cannot unless the applicant actually admits to it. Which never happens
Original post by Math.Qs
If only you knew how wrong you were... but I won't incriminate myself. :h:

If you are at university now then it isn;t too late to be thrown out for fraud.
If you are at university now then it isn;t too late to be thrown out for fraud.

How could I be at university? I thought that "they match up everyone's results"?? :biggrin:
Original post by Math.Qs
How could I be at university? I thought that "they match up everyone's results"?? :biggrin:

OK - you have incriminated yourself beware the consequences.
Original post by Math.Qs

You're misinterpreting what you are seeing. No, you won't get penalised for having made a mistake and putting it right, unprompted, before the incorrect information is used by universities to make decisions. In practice, some of those "mistakes" will be people who had deliberately lied and then got cold feet, but there's no way to tell which. But even if it was a mistake, you don't get to say it was a mistake after you have been given an offer based on false information, and only when you get caught. That's much too late to just get UCAS to correct it.

Has anyone got away with it, ever? Probably. Have lots of people been caught and lost their university place as a result? Absolutely. It is very much not a risk worth taking.
The exam boards send UCAS a data-feed of existing A level and GCSE etc grades mid-cycle - so assuming that UCAS and/or the Unis are a bit thick and you'll never be found out is exceedingly naive. We can, and do, withdraw offers and cancel places.
Original post by McGinger
The exam boards send UCAS a data-feed of existing A level and GCSE etc grades mid-cycle - so assuming that UCAS and/or the Unis are a bit thick and you'll never be found out is exceedingly niave.

This would be in an ideal world. But we have a clown government and a clown education system.
Original post by Math.Qs
This would be in an ideal world. But we have a clown government and a clown education system.

Stop advising people to do stuff on their UCAS application that is FRAUDULENT.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by username5778646

Strange that you’ve now anonymised your TSR account if the system is so easy to fool :iiam:

For what it’s worth - if your fake grades got past your referee (who is asked if they checked your qualifications) and the matching process done by the exam boards and UCAS during the application cycle, and you were lucky enough to enrol at a university that didn’t ask to see copies of your certificates at enrolment…then you better hope that you’re not at a university like mine where we use the LRS ( https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/lrs-organisation-portal ) to verify and cross check qualifications are as declared on UCAS during the first year of enrolment.

The clown government actually has very, very detailed records of qualifications and universities all have access to check qualifications through LRS :smile:

Latest