The Student Room Group

No longer interested in pursuing a career in science?

I'm graduating from my biomedical science degree at the end of this upcoming semester and have realised that I no longer enjoy science (or at least the main areas of science). I decided to do biomed as it is a more flexible degree so I thought that I would find an area of interest by the time I graduate, I even took on a lab project in my final year in hopes of finding out if lab work was for me. I now know that I don't enjoy any aspect of science, I actually wanted to do English lit/journalism but was always told that I wouldn't be able to find a job (even my a-level choices were science-based).
I'm finding it difficult to find a path I actually enjoy and post grad applications are difficult to complete when I don't actually have any interests. I would do something like science comm but most jobs ask for a portfolio
Reply 1
Sorry to hear that and I do understand why you would've done biomed as opposed to English lit/journalism

I'm finding it difficult to find a path I actually enjoy and post grad applications are difficult to complete when I don't actually have any interests- what courses are you applying for? Some form of work experience might help then. Post grad can always wait.

Few options
- Look into a second degree that interests you (check student finance to ensure your eligible) I'd rather get a 2nd degree out of the way with straight after doing my first. Others would say it's not good but I feel your wasting less off your time in the corporate world in wrong jobs.
-Look into applying for a few entry level jobs in tech companies or any other companies while you are applying for your second degree or post grad. I doubt any degree will start till September 2022 now so you have a good few months and then can always defer the University place if required.
-Look into doing an apprenticeship (marketing, sigital marketing related) as that's the best way to get a foot in the door
- You mention science comms? Is that science communication so marketing? Then you need to be looking into entry level positions in job board websites.
- Try seeing what NHS graduate schemes are available using your degree or private sector health companies GlaxoSmithKline
-with any digital type job they will always ask for experience or a portfolio - portfolio wise is branding online through blog posts, active on LinkedIn and other social media etc.
-be prepared to be paid not so well if you are planning to do an apprenticeship as not all pay so well.

All the best.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by knksj112
I'm graduating from my biomedical science degree at the end of this upcoming semester and have realised that I no longer enjoy science (or at least the main areas of science). I decided to do biomed as it is a more flexible degree so I thought that I would find an area of interest by the time I graduate, I even took on a lab project in my final year in hopes of finding out if lab work was for me. I now know that I don't enjoy any aspect of science, I actually wanted to do English lit/journalism but was always told that I wouldn't be able to find a job (even my a-level choices were science-based).
I'm finding it difficult to find a path I actually enjoy and post grad applications are difficult to complete when I don't actually have any interests. I would do something like science comm but most jobs ask for a portfolio

So take a year out and create a portfolio!

Nothing dafter than committing to a Masters when you don't actually have any interests or professional end goal.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending