The Student Room Group

Maintenance loan refused

Hello there, may I ask your advised with regards to my situation as a mature independent student. I have a applied for maintenance loan but the SFE refused to grant me as I don't have a settled status but have a leave to remain visa. I have lived in the UK for over 12 years and have married a British citizen 6 years now. I'm completing my 10 years route as a family member of a UK citizen to apply for a settled visa. Now, when I applied for Student Loan including maintenance loan, the SFE assessed me as a EU student eligible Tuition fee only which is so hard as I can not afford it and I'm going to school 2 to 3x a week. I am working as a part time but it's not enough to pay my bills and mortgage. I did not declare it in my application to Student Finance that I am working part- time. So do I need to tell them or send them the proof that I have been working since when I came here in the UK to get a maintenance loan? Will the SFE assessment change with my circumstances? Everything like bursary, I don't have any help and as a student nurse it is just so hard as I pay my taxes, NI and even NHS surcharge but I can not get a maintenance loan! Very frustrating and near to quitting.
Do you have indefinite leave to remain or limited leave to remain? If you have indefinite leave to remain you should be eligible for a maintenance loan (it's what my status is and I have received maintenance loans in the past). If you only have limited leave to remain then that might change things.

Whether you are working or not should not change your eligibility for a maintenance loan, although it might change how much you are entitled to if you are eligible for one.
Reply 2
I have limited leave to remain. I'm just waiting for 2 years more to apply indefinite leave visa. So even if I will tell SFE that I'm working, they will just look at my visa status, is that correct?

Thank you very much for your response and advice.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending