History a-level 25 mark essay structure

Watch this thread
masumarahmann
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
Hi, I'm doing History International A-Levels, and I really need HELP!!1. For 25-mark questions like,
"Historians have different explanations for the growth of the Nazi Party (NSDAP) in the
years 1920–24.
‘The role of Adolf Hitler was the main reason for the growth of the Nazi Party (NSDAP)
in the years 1920–24.’
Assess this view using your own knowledge of the issue"
HOW MANY POINTS DO I WRITE THAT AGREE WITH THE STATEMENT, AND HOW MANY POINTS TO DISAGREE? IT'S FOR 25 MARKS
Last edited by masumarahmann; 4 months ago
m_liiii4
Badges: 4
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 months ago
Hey, i'm not sure for 25 markers because my exam q go up to 20 marks only but i'm sure they're not too different. I've always been taught to agree with the question because its so much easier so in this case, you would agree that the role of Adolf Hitler was the main reason for growth of the Nazi party as your overarching argument and you'd put this in your introduction. Then you'd argue that Hitler was the main reason as point no 1, counter-argue it as point no 2 , then argue again he was as point no 3 ( 2 agrees, 1 disagree). And i've been taught to do an intro paragraph, 3 paras arguing and then a conclusion so in total you'll have 5 paragraphs and I found that that structure has helped me most. Don't forget to add a strong judgement as part of your conclusion and also check the mark schemes of your exam board to get a better understanding of how you are marked. sorry i went off on a tangent but hope this helps!!
AnonymousX0823
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
I would write at least three main points, the first being that Hitler was the main reason for its growth and then two others that could support the argument i.e. that they weren't as important to its growth as Hitler was or you could argue it the other way. I would also try to write an introduction and conclusion to make sure you are keeping a sustained judgement throughout about whether you believe Hitler was the main reason
masumarahmann
Rep:
(Original post by m_liiii4)
Hey, i'm not sure for 25 markers because my exam q go up to 20 marks only but i'm sure they're not too different. I've always been taught to agree with the question because its so much easier so in this case, you would agree that the role of Adolf Hitler was the main reason for growth of the Nazi party as your overarching argument and you'd put this in your introduction. Then you'd argue that Hitler was the main reason as point no 1, counter-argue it as point no 2 , then argue again he was as point no 3 ( 2 agrees, 1 disagree). And i've been taught to do an intro paragraph, 3 paras arguing and then a conclusion so in total you'll have 5 paragraphs and I found that that structure has helped me most. Don't forget to add a strong judgement as part of your conclusion and also check the mark schemes of your exam board to get a better understanding of how you are marked. sorry i went off on a tangent but hope this helps!!
hii thankyou so much for the reply, I really appreciate it <3 I have a much better idea now!
So:
1: intro
2: agree
3: counter-argue
4. show why I think my original argument is more valid than the counter argument
5: conclusion
right?
masumarahmann
Rep:
(Original post by JemmaL)
I would write at least three main points, the first being that Hitler was the main reason for its growth and then two others that could support the argument i.e. that they weren't as important to its growth as Hitler was or you could argue it the other way. I would also try to write an introduction and conclusion to make sure you are keeping a sustained judgement throughout about whether you believe Hitler was the main reason
Heyy thanks so much for responding, i'm so grateful <3 so that's about 5 paras right?
masumarahmann
Rep:
(Original post by m_liiii4)
Also this is what i've been doing so far (i'm self studying so I don't know if my methods are valid)
1. Intro: "I agree to a certain extent that Hitler's role was one of the main reasons for the growth of the NSDAP, but there were also other significant factors such as the roles of Gregor Strasser and Josef Goebbels. In the below essay, I will be assessing the significance of Hitler's role and weigh out its importance in relation to other factors.
2. Para 2: (Here I write about Hitler's role and the extent to which it helped the growth of the NSDAP"
3. Para 3: (Here I discuss another factor that ALSO contributed to the growth like Goebbels' role."
4. Para 4: (Here I discuss a 2nd factor that contributed, like Strasser's role."
5. Conclusion: In conclusion, while I certainly believe that Hitler's role was one of the key reasons for the growth of the NSDAP, there were several other factors also at play - therefore I agree with the statement to a certain extent, but not completely.
END OF ESSAY
Can you tell me how this essay plan sounds? I'd really appreciate ANY feedback!
masumarahmann
Rep:
(Original post by JemmaL)
Also this is what i've been doing so far (i'm self studying so I don't know if my methods are valid)

1. Intro: "I agree to a certain extent that Hitler's role was one of the main reasons for the growth of the NSDAP, but there were also other significant factors such as the roles of Gregor Strasser and Josef Goebbels. In the below essay, I will be assessing the significance of Hitler's role and weigh out its importance in relation to other factors.

2. Para 2: (Here I write about Hitler's role and the extent to which it helped the growth of the NSDAP"

3. Para 3: (Here I discuss another factor that ALSO contributed to the growth like Goebbels' role."

4. Para 4: (Here I discuss a 2nd factor that contributed, like Strasser's role."

5. Conclusion: In conclusion, while I certainly believe that Hitler's role was one of the key reasons for the growth of the NSDAP, there were several other factors also at play - therefore I agree with the statement to a certain extent, but not completely.

END OF ESSAY

Can you tell me how this essay plan sounds? I'd really appreciate ANY feedback!
AnonymousX0823
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
Yes that’s what i would do, I’d just give it a go, I mean you can only improve from your first try
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Y13's - If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (18)
22.5%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something else changes (e.g. exams/pandemic related concerns) (10)
12.5%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (4)
5%
I still have more questions before I make my decision (12)
15%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (17)
21.25%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (19)
23.75%

Watched Threads