Medicine a levels?

Watch this thread
_Robyn_
Badges: 16
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
As of now I'm taking physics, psychology and r.s at a level. I don't have any plans on what I want to do in the future but what if I wanted to go into medicine? Is it possible to go back to college and get the a level requirements for it? This is all just hypothetical, I'm just curious if you can actually do that
Invective
Badges: 13
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 months ago
Yes, you should be able to go back and take the necessary A-Levels assuming you're applying for undergraduate Medicine.

You'll have to take A-Level Chemistry if you decide to take this journey.
_Robyn_
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
(Original post by Invective)
Yes, you should be able to go back and take the necessary A-Levels assuming you're applying for undergraduate Medicine.

So it is possible to go back and get more a levels?
ecolier
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by _Robyn_)
As of now I'm taking physics, psychology and r.s at a level. I don't have any plans on what I want to do in the future but what if I wanted to go into medicine? Is it possible to go back to college and get the a level requirements for it? This is all just hypothetical, I'm just curious if you can actually do that
So it is possible to go back and get more a levels?
Not necessarily - taking all of your A-Levels > 2 years could be counted as a retake.

Saying that, many med schools these days will accept resit A-Levels, read:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=6649138 for a list of them.

This thread: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=5611422 has a list of all UK med schools' A-Level subject requirements.

(Original post by Invective)

That's not true, there are at least 10 med schools that do not require Chemistry as a mandatory subject. Read the first post of the thread that I linked above.
Last edited by ecolier; 4 months ago
skylark2
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
You can take as many A levels as you want at whatever age you like. Probably not for free, and probably not at a school (by which I mean a place where the students are under 18). But there's absolutely no rule on who can take them.
AmIReallyHere
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by ecolier)
Not necessarily - taking all of your A-Levels > 2 years could be counted as a retake.

Saying that, many med schools these days will accept resit A-Levels.

This thread: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=5611422 has a list of all UK med schools' A-Level subject requirements.
So say they went back and got Chemistry would it be counted as a retake? Since that's the only one they need to have medicine open to them, even if it's not all of them
ecolier
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by skylark2)
You can take as many A levels as you want at whatever age you like. Probably not for free, and probably not at a school (by which I mean a place where the students are under 18). But there's absolutely no rule on who can take them.
(Original post by AmIReallyHere)
So say they went back and got Chemistry would it be counted as a retake? Since that's the only one they need to have medicine open to them, even if it's not all of them
Yes, it would count as a retake and may limit the amount of med schools they can apply to.

e.g. Doing Subjects A, B, C in 2021 - 2023 plus doing Subject D in 2022 - 2024 will count as finishing A-Levels in 3 years.
Last edited by ecolier; 4 months ago
McGinger
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
There is a whole section of TSR about Applying for Medicine - including required subjects fro each Med School etc - https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/medicine
meddad
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
As far as I know, A levels in those subjects are acceptable for Medicine at Newcastle.

Of course you need to have predicted AAA, satisfy other minimum entry requirements and would need a high UCAT score, as well as getting through a competitive interview process.

It's probably the only Med School who would accept those subjects though, so would be a speculative punt whilst considering your other options.
Invective
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by ecolier)

Saying that, many med schools these days will accept resit A-Levels, read:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=6649138 for a list of them.

That's not true, there are at least 10 med schools that do not require Chemistry as a mandatory subject. Read the first post of the thread that I linked above.
ecolier is right, it is possible it can be seen as a resit as med schools are unclear what they consider a resit, from what I've read they refer to the number of attempts made at the required subject so if you've made no attempt prior, I don't see how it could be seen as a resit. However, I'd recommend emailing your chosen med schools and asking them directly.

And yes, Chemistry isn't a requirement as roughly 10-12 schools don't require it, however, that's about 10/39 or so med schools. I highly recommend it as most students who pursue medicine take A-Level chemistry and not having it drastically cuts your list of where you can apply to.

Source: https://www.medschools.ac.uk/media/2...22-digital.pdf
Last edited by Invective; 4 months ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has advance information helped during your exams?

Yes (102)
68%
No (31)
20.67%
I didn't use it to prepare (17)
11.33%

Watched Threads