The Student Room Group

Official Veterinary Medicine Applicants thread 2024 entry

Hey I know this is a while off but I wanted to start a thread for anyone in current year 11, hoping to apply for vet med in 2024! Introduce yourselves below!!

Are you applying to study Veterinary Medicine at University this year?
Well this is the place for you!
:party:

Post below with details about your...

Specific Course:
Universities you're applying to:
A level / IB / Higher grades:
GCSE grades:
Random question:

Share as much detail as you're comfortable with.

You may also want to have a look at this HUGE LIST of other applicants threads for all the universities you're applying to as well as potential other courses if you're a joint honours student.:woo:

Please be aware that sharing any information about group chats on another platform is prohibited.
(edited 6 months ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ianthe alice
Hello my name is ianthe and I’m in year 11 and looking to apply for Vet Med !!

hey ianthe (that is a really cool name)!! what a levels are you doing? do you know which unis you are interested in?
Hi! I'm a second year April vet student at the university of nottingham! If anyone has questions about applications (I applied to Surrey, Liverpool, nottingham and Bristol) or about nottingham specifically then please let me know11
Original post by flamingolover
Hi! I'm a second year April vet student at the university of nottingham! If anyone has questions about applications (I applied to Surrey, Liverpool, nottingham and Bristol) or about nottingham specifically then please let me know11

hi, i was wondering if you know anybody who's got in with resits? ive been struggling mentally and with home issues and haven't done well so far, and was hoping to retake.
Original post by backstreetboyz
hi, i was wondering if you know anybody who's got in with resits? ive been struggling mentally and with home issues and haven't done well so far, and was hoping to retake.

Yes I know that a few of my friends have had to take a year out to resit. I also know of a lot of people in the year below who had to resit and have gotten offers!
Yes I know that a few of my friends have had to take a year out to resit. I also know of a lot of people in the year below who had to resit and have gotten offers!

im so glad to hear that! could you possibly tell me what grades they had originally?
(edited 1 year ago)
im so glad to hear that! could you possibly tell me what grades they had originally?

Sorry for the late reply! The results that had originally varies. So one got ABB and ended up with AAB, now got ABB and ended up with A*AA and then another got BBB but i don't know what they got in the end
Sorry for the late reply! The results that had originally varies. So one got ABB and ended up with AAB, now got ABB and ended up with A*AA and then another got BBB but i don't know what they got in the end

ah, no problem about the late reply and thanks for answering! do you know if any of them had extenuating circumstances and if they had to submit that in an extenuating circumstances form? I'm not really sure if garden variety depression and anxiety are sufficient grounds for extenuating circumstances
ah, no problem about the late reply and thanks for answering! do you know if any of them had extenuating circumstances and if they had to submit that in an extenuating circumstances form? I'm not really sure if garden variety depression and anxiety are sufficient grounds for extenuating circumstances

As far as I’m aware they didn’t. Some unis just want AAB (definitely the unis I applied to!) If you are worried about grades I’d try to apply to ones with lower grades. If you are not sure about extenuating circumstances it might be best to email the university
Hi! I'm actually currently in year 13 undergoing the application process rn but I've applied for 2024 entry at 3/4 of my unis and will withdraw from the uni that won't let me defer---however I want to see if I'll be offered an interview and I'll go to it for the experience (and if I get an offer for foundation but not the 5 year I might consider not taking a gap year) so I can decide if I want to include them when applying again if I don't get in. I wasn't originally planning on applying until next year but was told I would regret it and am so glad that I have bc I've grown tremedously from the experience!!
Currently studying A levels- bio, chem, psych
And I've applied to RVC (interview), Bristol (Hold), Nottingham (interview) and Uclan (acknowledged),, if theres anyone in my position pls let me know bc I couldn't find anyone on the thread for my year whos defering and taking a gap year!! If I end up reapplying I'll be right back on this thread next year :smile:
Original post by clozapine
Hi! I'm actually currently in year 13 undergoing the application process rn but I've applied for 2024 entry at 3/4 of my unis and will withdraw from the uni that won't let me defer---however I want to see if I'll be offered an interview and I'll go to it for the experience (and if I get an offer for foundation but not the 5 year I might consider not taking a gap year) so I can decide if I want to include them when applying again if I don't get in. I wasn't originally planning on applying until next year but was told I would regret it and am so glad that I have bc I've grown tremedously from the experience!!
Currently studying A levels- bio, chem, psych
And I've applied to RVC (interview), Bristol (Hold), Nottingham (interview) and Uclan (acknowledged),, if theres anyone in my position pls let me know bc I couldn't find anyone on the thread for my year whos defering and taking a gap year!! If I end up reapplying I'll be right back on this thread next year :smile:

hiya I am in year 13 and deferring too! Top choice is nottingham which i have an interview for but also have applied to uclan, bristol and keele :smile:
Original post by mela.bela
hiya I am in year 13 and deferring too! Top choice is nottingham which i have an interview for but also have applied to uclan, bristol and keele :smile:

Congrats on your interview (when did you book it for?) !!! Whys Notts your top choice?
Hi,

Great to hear that you're interested in Veterinary Medicine! At UCLan we offer undergraduate and postgraduate programmes. If you'd like to learn more please feel free to ask any questions or you can look at our course page https://www.uclan.ac.uk/subjects/veterinary-medicine

all the best,

Matt :smile:

Original post by georgenringo
Hey I know this is a while off but I wanted to start a thread for anyone in current year 11, hoping to apply for vet med in 2024! Introduce yourselves below!!
Hi I am millie, recently started year 12 and am doing biology chemistry and geology hoping to study vet med in the future !
Original post by Milliewest2
Hi I am millie, recently started year 12 and am doing biology chemistry and geology hoping to study vet med in the future !

That's brilliant! I am a vet student at Nottingham. Ive just finished my second year as I am part of the April cohort! Let me know if you have any questions or need any help
That's brilliant! I am a vet student at Nottingham. Ive just finished my second year as I am part of the April cohort! Let me know if you have any questions or need any help

Thanks so much for your reply ! How much work experience did you get and what type? As I currently have 1.5 weeks at SA vets, 1.5 weeks at farm, 3 days at a turkey farm, and 4 days at a stables. I aim to get a lot more but depends. Also how do you even go about writing a personal statement ! And how is Nottingham congrats for going to vet school x
Thanks so much for your reply ! How much work experience did you get and what type? As I currently have 1.5 weeks at SA vets, 1.5 weeks at farm, 3 days at a turkey farm, and 4 days at a stables. I aim to get a lot more but depends. Also how do you even go about writing a personal statement ! And how is Nottingham congrats for going to vet school x

I had 1 week at a small animal vet (4h every wednesday afternoon for 3 months), 1 week at an equine vet, 1 week lambing, 1 week cats protection (4h every saturday for 3 month), 2 weeks farm park (4h every saturday for 6 months), 1 week at another farm park, 1 week at another farm park, 3 days in an animal testing lab, 1 day at an abattoir (university of bristol). I would try to get the equivalent of a full week at the stables and if you can a full week at the turkey farm but you sound like you are doing well! I also recommend a large vet, a small vet, farm animal husbandry (lambing, dairy etc), small animal handling (groomers, rescue centre- dog trust, cats protection etc) and equine.

Ahhh the personal statement is hard. I read a bunch on the internet to give me an idea. I structured mine like this:

Intro- why i want to be a vet (avoid cliches like ive wanted it since i was a child)
Paragraph 1- discussed a case i saw on placement. this was a farm animal case about difficult lambing. i spoke about what i learned and how i improved.
Paragraph 2- discussed a case i saw on placement. I spoke about a small animal case (i think but i can't really remember)
Extracurricular and school- this was a small paragraph where i said what skills id learn from extracurricular and school but only how it was relevant and what i learnt and how i would use that knowledge. it was only like 3-4 lines.
Summary

Nottingham is great!
I had 1 week at a small animal vet (4h every wednesday afternoon for 3 months), 1 week at an equine vet, 1 week lambing, 1 week cats protection (4h every saturday for 3 month), 2 weeks farm park (4h every saturday for 6 months), 1 week at another farm park, 1 week at another farm park, 3 days in an animal testing lab, 1 day at an abattoir (university of bristol). I would try to get the equivalent of a full week at the stables and if you can a full week at the turkey farm but you sound like you are doing well! I also recommend a large vet, a small vet, farm animal husbandry (lambing, dairy etc), small animal handling (groomers, rescue centre- dog trust, cats protection etc) and equine.

Ahhh the personal statement is hard. I read a bunch on the internet to give me an idea. I structured mine like this:

Intro- why i want to be a vet (avoid cliches like ive wanted it since i was a child)
Paragraph 1- discussed a case i saw on placement. this was a farm animal case about difficult lambing. i spoke about what i learned and how i improved.
Paragraph 2- discussed a case i saw on placement. I spoke about a small animal case (i think but i can't really remember)
Extracurricular and school- this was a small paragraph where i said what skills id learn from extracurricular and school but only how it was relevant and what i learnt and how i would use that knowledge. it was only like 3-4 lines.
Summary

Nottingham is great!

Thanks so much for your reply
I am hoping for work experience at a wildlife hospital, and also a kennels/cattery and another vet clinic
and I can likely do more at the turkey farm and I am able to do more equine and that could be on a weekly bases which is good.
So overall I hope to have
2.5 weeks vet (3 different practices)
2 weeks farm
1 week turkey
1 week cattery/kennels
1 week wildlife rescue
at least 1 week equine (likely more if all goes to plan)
Possibly- some time at a chicken farm

but I don’t think I will be able to get lambing or Marge animal vets. Will this be a big issue
and I also have non vet
1 year charity shop volunteer
9 months primary school tutor
10 months primary school volunteer
chiltern rangers volunteer (a few days)

hobbeys
Football
hockey

would you recommend to mention these other work experiences and the transferable skills in my personal statement.
Thanks so much for your reply
I am hoping for work experience at a wildlife hospital, and also a kennels/cattery and another vet clinic
and I can likely do more at the turkey farm and I am able to do more equine and that could be on a weekly bases which is good.
So overall I hope to have
2.5 weeks vet (3 different practices)
2 weeks farm
1 week turkey
1 week cattery/kennels
1 week wildlife rescue
at least 1 week equine (likely more if all goes to plan)
Possibly- some time at a chicken farm

but I don’t think I will be able to get lambing or Marge animal vets. Will this be a big issue
and I also have non vet
1 year charity shop volunteer
9 months primary school tutor
10 months primary school volunteer
chiltern rangers volunteer (a few days)

hobbeys
Football
hockey

would you recommend to mention these other work experiences and the transferable skills in my personal statement.

That sounds great! I know plenty of people at uni that didnt have lambing. If your uni doesn't have it as a requirement it will be fine especially as you have farm experience. I would try to get dairy or lambing but if you can't you will be fine. A wildlife hospital would be great! What area are you in?

I would mention the extra-cirricualrs and stuff as transferable skills but only if you believe they make you a better candidate as someone else. No point saying "this activity gave me the ability to work as a team" as literally everyone writes stuff like that. I have to admit i wrote that about DofE!

If you can i strongly recommend emailing the university of bristol abattoir. I got a reference off of a lecturer there and i believe that helped my application. This is only true if you apply to bristol.

My biggest tip with placements is start to get references from everywhere now as its a bit of a nightmare to get them when you apply!
That sounds great! I know plenty of people at uni that didnt have lambing. If your uni doesn't have it as a requirement it will be fine especially as you have farm experience. I would try to get dairy or lambing but if you can't you will be fine. A wildlife hospital would be great! What area are you in?

I would mention the extra-cirricualrs and stuff as transferable skills but only if you believe they make you a better candidate as someone else. No point saying "this activity gave me the ability to work as a team" as literally everyone writes stuff like that. I have to admit i wrote that about DofE!

If you can i strongly recommend emailing the university of bristol abattoir. I got a reference off of a lecturer there and i believe that helped my application. This is only true if you apply to bristol.

My biggest tip with placements is start to get references from everywhere now as its a bit of a nightmare to get them when you apply!

Thanks. I am in Buckinghamshire/north west London area. I have got my references from the places I have done so far and I don’t think any of the unis I am thinking of require lambing specifically. Thanks !

Quick Reply

Latest