The Student Room Group

dropping out of uni to pursue apprenticeship

hey guys !

i'm in my second year of university and i've genuinely lost all motivation for studying and whatnot however i love being apart of societies , having 3am library study sessions with my friends etc.

i'm still not a 100% sure on if i want to drop out and pursue an apprenticeship in the same field and work full-time.

could i get some ups and downs to this and if anyone has done this before, how has it gone for you?

thanks
Stay in your course and apply to it that way if you’re not accepted at least you’d know you tried, since it is very competitive. I was watching a webinar and a student left her second year to do an apprenticeship and she is very content with her decision. IMO if it’s a degree apprenticeship it’s worth it if not then it may be best to continue with your course. Good luck with your decision :smile:
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by unsungstudent
hey guys !

i'm in my second year of university and i've genuinely lost all motivation for studying and whatnot however i love being apart of societies , having 3am library study sessions with my friends etc.

i'm still not a 100% sure on if i want to drop out and pursue an apprenticeship in the same field and work full-time.

could i get some ups and downs to this and if anyone has done this before, how has it gone for you?

thanks

what's the degree you're currently studying?
Original post by Ahjjjkkk
Stay in your course and apply to it that way if you’re not accepted at least you’d know you tried, since it is very competitive. I was watching a webinar and a student left her second year to do an apprenticeship and she is very content with her decision. IMO if it’s a degree apprenticeship it’s worth it if not then it may be best to continue with your course. Good luck with your decision :smile:

ooh thank you for this info !
Original post by Firiridirirriie
what's the degree you're currently studying?

graphic design !
graphic design !

I'd say continue on with your studies. An apprenticeship isn't guaranteed.
graphic design !

A thread you could maybe look at
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4284138

thank you so much !

Problem is that the quality of the apprenticeship largely depends on the company you’re doing the apprenticeship with. I know some apprentices that have thrived doing an apprenticeship in the creative industries, and some apprentices that have ended up doing very poorly (like the person who made that post)

hey guys !

thanks

If you’ve lost all your motivation and you genuinely think you cannot complete a degree course without it ruining your mental health then I think you have answered you own question.

You can’t get a degree and should try to gain an apprenticeship.
Original post by Ahjjjkkk

I agree
Original post by Emma:-)
I agree

Not convinced about this option. If OP said that they have lost all motivation then they will not do well in their degree and hate the next year and a half.

They likely won’t gain employment afterwards if they are unwilling to try and put effort into his degree, so they might as well drop out and gain an apprenticeship before they incur anymore debt.
Original post by Thisismyunitsr
Not convinced about this option. If OP said that they have lost all motivation then they will not do well in their degree and hate the next year and a half.

They likely won’t gain employment afterwards if they are unwilling to try and put effort into his degree, so they might as well drop out and gain an apprenticeship before they incur anymore debt.

What I was agreeing to was to try and find an apprenticeship first before quitting uni.
Basically as soon as you have found an apprenticeship to go to then quit uni.
Original post by Emma:-)
What I was agreeing to was to try and find an apprenticeship first before quitting uni.
Basically as soon as you have found an apprenticeship to go to then quit uni.

Yes but if they stay in their course then they incur more debt for a degree that they are not interested in completing. I do understand your point though, having a CV gap is not a good thing at all!
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending