dropping out of uni to pursue apprenticeship

Watch
unsungstudent
Badges: 9
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
hey guys !

i'm in my second year of university and i've genuinely lost all motivation for studying and whatnot however i love being apart of societies , having 3am library study sessions with my friends etc.

i'm still not a 100% sure on if i want to drop out and pursue an apprenticeship in the same field and work full-time.

could i get some ups and downs to this and if anyone has done this before, how has it gone for you?

thanks
Ahjjjkkk
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 weeks ago
Stay in your course and apply to it that way if you’re not accepted at least you’d know you tried, since it is very competitive. I was watching a webinar and a student left her second year to do an apprenticeship and she is very content with her decision. IMO if it’s a degree apprenticeship it’s worth it if not then it may be best to continue with your course. Good luck with your decision
Last edited by Ahjjjkkk; 2 weeks ago
Firiridirirriie
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by unsungstudent)
hey guys !

i'm in my second year of university and i've genuinely lost all motivation for studying and whatnot however i love being apart of societies , having 3am library study sessions with my friends etc.

i'm still not a 100% sure on if i want to drop out and pursue an apprenticeship in the same field and work full-time.

could i get some ups and downs to this and if anyone has done this before, how has it gone for you?

thanks
what's the degree you're currently studying?
unsungstudent
Rep:
(Original post by Ahjjjkkk)
Stay in your course and apply to it that way if you’re not accepted at least you’d know you tried, since it is very competitive. I was watching a webinar and a student left her second year to do an apprenticeship and she is very content with her decision. IMO if it’s a degree apprenticeship it’s worth it if not then it may be best to continue with your course. Good luck with your decision
ooh thank you for this info !
unsungstudent
Rep:
(Original post by Firiridirirriie)
what's the degree you're currently studying?
graphic design !
Firiridirirriie
Rep:
Report 2 weeks ago
graphic design !
I'd say continue on with your studies. An apprenticeship isn't guaranteed.
Firiridirirriie
Rep:
Report 2 weeks ago
graphic design !
A thread you could maybe look at
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=4284138
unsungstudent
Rep:
thank you so much !
Thisismyunitsr
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 2 weeks ago
Problem is that the quality of the apprenticeship largely depends on the company you’re doing the apprenticeship with. I know some apprentices that have thrived doing an apprenticeship in the creative industries, and some apprentices that have ended up doing very poorly (like the person who made that post)

hey guys !

thanks
If you’ve lost all your motivation and you genuinely think you cannot complete a degree course without it ruining your mental health then I think you have answered you own question.

You can’t get a degree and should try to gain an apprenticeship.
Emma:-)
Rep:
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Ahjjjkkk)
I agree
Thisismyunitsr
Rep:
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Emma:-))
I agree
Not convinced about this option. If OP said that they have lost all motivation then they will not do well in their degree and hate the next year and a half.

They likely won’t gain employment afterwards if they are unwilling to try and put effort into his degree, so they might as well drop out and gain an apprenticeship before they incur anymore debt.
Emma:-)
Rep:
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Thisismyunitsr)
Not convinced about this option. If OP said that they have lost all motivation then they will not do well in their degree and hate the next year and a half.

They likely won’t gain employment afterwards if they are unwilling to try and put effort into his degree, so they might as well drop out and gain an apprenticeship before they incur anymore debt.
What I was agreeing to was to try and find an apprenticeship first before quitting uni.
Basically as soon as you have found an apprenticeship to go to then quit uni.
Thisismyunitsr
Rep:
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Emma:-))
What I was agreeing to was to try and find an apprenticeship first before quitting uni.
Basically as soon as you have found an apprenticeship to go to then quit uni.
Yes but if they stay in their course then they incur more debt for a degree that they are not interested in completing. I do understand your point though, having a CV gap is not a good thing at all!
Last edited by Thisismyunitsr; 2 weeks ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you ever considered or are you currently considering an apprenticeship?

Yes, I am actively considering an apprenticeship (66)
12.22%
I am actively considering an alternative to uni that isn't an apprenticeship (9)
1.67%
I have considered an apprenticeship but it's not for me (141)
26.11%
I am considering a degree apprenticeship (44)
8.15%
I haven't considered an apprenticeship (262)
48.52%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (18)
3.33%

Watched Threads