The Student Room Group

How to Pass the practical?!

I really need to pass my test! I booked it back in June and found hardly any cancellations, the earliest I got to was January 7th. My driving instructor has suddenly started to notice faults?! Everything was great, and he said I was at test standard. However today I had a lesson, I wasn’t feeling great to be honest but I was told that I have to take a mock test on Friday, if I fail the mock, I will have to reschedule my test!! However it’s three days notice you have to give to reschedule, so surely I have four days in between to brush up? I’ve had lessons almost every day in December, two hours at a time, I feel ready. I’m just worried about screwing up the mock on Friday. What can I do if it goes wrong?
Also I would really appreciate any advice anyone has on passing an automatic test, thanks!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
So, even if you’re competent the driving test is a bit down to luck on what happens on the day. You should be ok believe in yourself, but even if it doesn’t work out it’s far from the end of the world
Original post by Zarek
So, even if you’re competent the driving test is a bit down to luck on what happens on the day. You should be ok believe in yourself, but even if it doesn’t work out it’s far from the end of the world

I understand that, but I’m more concerned that my instructor won’t let me take my test and rescheduling will take me to the summer at this rate.
It’s not the end of the world, but I can’t have my dad give me a lift all the time, I just want some independence.
Original post by Dentaldreams
I understand that, but I’m more concerned that my instructor won’t let me take my test and rescheduling will take me to the summer at this rate.
It’s not the end of the world, but I can’t have my dad give me a lift all the time, I just want some independence.

Your instructor can’t physically stop you from taking the test, they can only advise you and it’s up to you whether to take that advice or not.
Original post by Mesopotamian.
Your instructor can’t physically stop you from taking the test, they can only advise you and it’s up to you whether to take that advice or not.

Well I did question this, however I was told that the instructor has the right to stop me from going forward? According to new guidelines.
I said I’ll still go ahead and he said yes we’ll see after your mock..
Well I did question this, however I was told that the instructor has the right to stop me from going forward? According to new guidelines.
I said I’ll still go ahead and he said yes we’ll see after your mock..

I have not heard of these new guidelines…did your instructor tell you about this or did you read it somewhere? When I had my test in September, the examiner did not mention anything about my instructor or whether they’d approved of the test.

Even on the test booking website, it’s optional whether you want to input your instructor’s details, so I don’t see how these “new guidelines” can be enforced.
I have not heard of these new guidelines…did your instructor tell you about this or did you read it somewhere? When I had my test in September, the examiner did not mention anything about my instructor or whether they’d approved of the test.

Even on the test booking website, it’s optional whether you want to input your instructor’s details, so I don’t see how these “new guidelines” can be enforced.

To be honest I’m just repeating what my instructor has said to me. He explained that examiners are very strict on who they will test due to the backlog, of almost 500,000 people waiting for their practical, so they can’t waste time. Hence the mock test I have to pass in order to progress.
So essentially what I understand from what you are saying, is that I can go ahead without their input? because I can’t find these new guidelines either but apparently that’s what he has been instructed?!
Also did you pass?
To be honest I’m just repeating what my instructor has said to me. He explained that examiners are very strict on who they will test due to the backlog, of almost 500,000 people waiting for their practical, so they can’t waste time. Hence the mock test I have to pass in order to progress.
So essentially what I understand from what you are saying, is that I can go ahead without their input? because I can’t find these new guidelines either but apparently that’s what he has been instructed?!
Also did you pass?

You can absolutely go ahead with your test, I’m sorry but it sounds like your instructor is feeding you rubbish. As I said, the examiners will test whoever has booked a test and shows up for it, nothing more nothing less.
And no I didn’t, I failed it pretty badly actually (I realised too late my instructor was pretty bad and so I wasn’t prepared enough) which disproves further what your instructor told you!
You can absolutely go ahead with your test, I’m sorry but it sounds like your instructor is feeding you rubbish. As I said, the examiners will test whoever has booked a test and shows up for it, nothing more nothing less.
And no I didn’t, I failed it pretty badly actually (I realised too late my instructor was pretty bad and so I wasn’t prepared enough) which disproves further what your instructor told you!

I spoke to him today and said I would like to continue at my own discretion. I only have minor things to improve so technically I should be (according to him anyway) test ready on the day.
The only thing I was worried about was the fact that I needed his car for the test.
Also sorry you failed, if it was manual then I understand because I gave that up and started auto which a lot better. Hopefully you’ll pass next time, good luck!
I spoke to him today and said I would like to continue at my own discretion. I only have minor things to improve so technically I should be (according to him anyway) test ready on the day.
The only thing I was worried about was the fact that I needed his car for the test.
Also sorry you failed, if it was manual then I understand because I gave that up and started auto which a lot better. Hopefully you’ll pass next time, good luck!

Thank you, and good luck to you too!

Yes it was manual, although my problem was more with speed and hesitation (I wasn’t as prepared as I could have been which really annoyed me because I’d been banging on about mock tests and practicing certain things for weeks and my instructor didn’t listen to my concerns). What did you find better about auto compared to manual?
Thank you, and good luck to you too!

Yes it was manual, although my problem was more with speed and hesitation (I wasn’t as prepared as I could have been which really annoyed me because I’d been banging on about mock tests and practicing certain things for weeks and my instructor didn’t listen to my concerns). What did you find better about auto compared to manual?

Thank you!
Honestly the issue I had with manual was probably more the instructor than anything else, she was always shouting and I stalled once at a dual carriageway and I just got so annoyed I left her there and walked home, not the nicest thing to do but she was asking for it. This was two years ago though, this year I could only find an auto instructor, but it’s just the simplicity of it that I enjoy, I’m not nervous about stalling and I have better control over the car.
Also going forward it’s going to be more automatic, so I didn’t see the point of going back to manual.
I had a speed and hesitation problem too, the only thing I can say is that you’d rather be safe than sorry! Slowing down is a minor whereas speeding and causing an obstruction would be major. Just be confident about it, stick to the speed limit, only slow down at the junctions and meeting situations. Remember as long as you don’t affect anyone else while you are driving then that’s fine. Being wary isn’t bad just don’t be too hesitant, I was the same so I completely understand that it takes a while.
Thank you!
Honestly the issue I had with manual was probably more the instructor than anything else, she was always shouting and I stalled once at a dual carriageway and I just got so annoyed I left her there and walked home, not the nicest thing to do but she was asking for it. This was two years ago though, this year I could only find an auto instructor, but it’s just the simplicity of it that I enjoy, I’m not nervous about stalling and I have better control over the car.
Also going forward it’s going to be more automatic, so I didn’t see the point of going back to manual.
I had a speed and hesitation problem too, the only thing I can say is that you’d rather be safe than sorry! Slowing down is a minor whereas speeding and causing an obstruction would be major. Just be confident about it, stick to the speed limit, only slow down at the junctions and meeting situations. Remember as long as you don’t affect anyone else while you are driving then that’s fine. Being wary isn’t bad just don’t be too hesitant, I was the same so I completely understand that it takes a while.

I had similar problems with my instructor! He’d always shout at me so at the beginning I thought I was just a really bad learner, but he had other unprofessional habits like taking phone calls during my lessons and always driving back to his house because he’d forget something (so taking up the time I’m paying for!). I’m annoyed with myself that I didn’t change instructors sooner.

Funnily enough, my speed issue was because I was too slow rather than fast - not because I’m naturally a slow driver (if anything, I hate 20 speed limits) but because the area I was learning in had recently changed some of their limits from 30 to 20 and there would be long stretches of road with no signs to indicate the speed (despite it being a 20) so what I thought was 20 was actually a 30. I’m sure I wouldn’t have been so bad if my instructor had actually given me all the mock tests I’d asked for, but that’s life I suppose.
I had similar problems with my instructor! He’d always shout at me so at the beginning I thought I was just a really bad learner, but he had other unprofessional habits like taking phone calls during my lessons and always driving back to his house because he’d forget something (so taking up the time I’m paying for!). I’m annoyed with myself that I didn’t change instructors sooner.

Funnily enough, my speed issue was because I was too slow rather than fast - not because I’m naturally a slow driver (if anything, I hate 20 speed limits) but because the area I was learning in had recently changed some of their limits from 30 to 20 and there would be long stretches of road with no signs to indicate the speed (despite it being a 20) so what I thought was 20 was actually a 30. I’m sure I wouldn’t have been so bad if my instructor had actually given me all the mock tests I’d asked for, but that’s life I suppose.

We’re only the kind of learners our instructors make us. I complained to my instructor because I’ve been having intensive lessons and he’s response was just.. “you can lead a thirsty horse to water, but you can’t make it drink the water” I don’t know why but that has really driven me for some reason (pun not intended:rolleyes:)

I was too fast and then got slower when I started to worry about the test. That’s what they said will mark as hesitation. They should really take into account that these changes are new around you.
If you don’t see any signs, just do 30, unless of course there’s a school or sharp bends etc. Often you’ll find the limit is painted on the road, although that might not be the case everywhere?
Have you rebooked?
We’re only the kind of learners our instructors make us. I complained to my instructor because I’ve been having intensive lessons and he’s response was just.. “you can lead a thirsty horse to water, but you can’t make it drink the water” I don’t know why but that has really driven me for some reason (pun not intended:rolleyes:)

I was too fast and then got slower when I started to worry about the test. That’s what they said will mark as hesitation. They should really take into account that these changes are new around you.
If you don’t see any signs, just do 30, unless of course there’s a school or sharp bends etc. Often you’ll find the limit is painted on the road, although that might not be the case everywhere?
Have you rebooked?

I did rebook but then cancelled it recently because If I start taking lessons again, it will affect my academic performance which I’d rather not risk. To be honest, I’ve lost motivation for driving. I think I’m capable of driving, but I need more practice to get used to everything (and a better instructor clearly). Unfortunately, lessons are the only way I can get driving experience so it’s both timely and very costly, so I’m putting it on hold for now.

I know it probably sounds like your typical failed student pinning the blame on their instructor, but in my case it truly was an epic waste of money. I think we could both do with better teachers! Anyhow, I wish you the best of luck and hopefully you’ll get your full driving license soon :smile:
(edited 2 years ago)
I did rebook but then cancelled it recently because If I start taking lessons again, it will affect my academic performance which I’d rather not risk. To be honest, I’ve lost motivation for driving. I think I’m capable of driving, but I need more practice to get used to everything (and a better instructor clearly). Unfortunately, lessons are the only way I can get driving experience so it’s both timely and very costly, so I’m putting it on hold for now.

I know it probably sounds like your typical failed student pinning the blame on their instructor, but in my case it truly was an epic waste of money. I think we could both do with better teachers! Anyhow, I wish you the best of luck and hopefully you’ll get your full driving license soon :smile:

I seriously don’t blame you, it was affecting my studies before hence I put it on hold and then of course the pandemic didn’t help.

Speaking of costs, it’s absolutely atrocious! The prices keep going up, and the current excuse is the cost of fuel.

Thank you very much I really do hope so🤞
Best wishes to you, hopefully you’ll find a good instructor!
I was told the same thing about instructors being able to not let you do your test if they don't think you're ready, but I wasn't sure if that was official or just advice for them to follow. But I have my test later this week, and haven't officially heard anything about that.

I hope it all went well for you!
Original post by LoverOfBooks
I was told the same thing about instructors being able to not let you do your test if they don't think you're ready, but I wasn't sure if that was official or just advice for them to follow. But I have my test later this week, and haven't officially heard anything about that.

I hope it all went well for you!

Would you believe that my test got postponed because of driving examiner shortages?! I was so gutted. My instructor got what he wanted in the end I suppose.. more lessons! To be fair I’ve been practicing non-stop so I’m test ready🤞 but it’s been moved to the 25th of January!

Good luck with your test! Let me know how you get on :smile:
Would you believe that my test got postponed because of driving examiner shortages?! I was so gutted. My instructor got what he wanted in the end I suppose.. more lessons! To be fair I’ve been practicing non-stop so I’m test ready🤞 but it’s been moved to the 25th of January!

Good luck with your test! Let me know how you get on :smile:

Oh wow, that's awful. At least it's still relatively soon, I suppose. And extra lessons can never be a bad thing, I guess, just a nuisance.

And thank you, I'm currently also in A Level mocks week as well, so it's a bit of a stressful time! My driving test should be the least of my worries. :smile:
Original post by LoverOfBooks
Oh wow, that's awful. At least it's still relatively soon, I suppose. And extra lessons can never be a bad thing, I guess, just a nuisance.

And thank you, I'm currently also in A Level mocks week as well, so it's a bit of a stressful time! My driving test should be the least of my worries. :smile:

Yes it’s not too far away, and everything happens for a reason they say.

Aw well good luck with your mocks too, just remember to stay calm :smile:
Yes it’s not too far away, and everything happens for a reason they say.

Aw well good luck with your mocks too, just remember to stay calm :smile:

Exactly! Let me know how yours goes when it comes round to it!

And yeah, staying calm has been the main failure of my life, so we'll see how that goes! I also hate driving, which doesn't help. It would be so much better if there were just no other cars on the road, unfortunately that's not the case!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending