The Student Room Group

Is it embarrassing to get lifts off your parents?

Is it

Scroll to see replies

If you find it that embarrassing, don't get lifts. If you don't drive / have a car, you will need to walk, cycle or get public transport. Remember that you'll need to allow much more time for your journeys.

Being embarrassed is your choice. Personally I'd take the lift. It's certainly not something that no adult / mature person would ever do, if that's what you're asking.
Reply 2
Original post by skylark2
It's certainly not something that no adult / mature person would ever do, if that's what you're asking.

I remember Phil Foden got lifts to training. I just don’t know if I should continue getting them or if it's getting embarrassing
Reply 3
no not at all
Why would it be embarrassing...
Reply 5
Original post by Anonymous
I remember Phil Foden got lifts to training. I just don’t know if I should continue getting them or if it's getting embarrassing

If you're training with Phil Foden, then just get a lift with him.
Reply 6
Original post by mnot
Why would it be embarrassing...

Original post by Idk131
no not at all

Some people said it is and some staff members said that I should get the bus to college, first they said it because I was late then I got my family member to leave earlier but they said it again saying I need to be more independent and saying I will have to get the bus to work when I get a job which is the biggest bul I've ever heard.
Reply 7
Not at all, you only probably think it’s embarrassing
and no one else
Reply 8
Original post by JPF6
Not at all, you only probably think it’s embarrassing
and no one else

Cheers
Not at all! If I can get a lift somewhere and don't have to pay for a taxi or gas then I'm doing it and I am one who likes to be as independent as much as possible but gas is expensive as are Ubers, plus I'll do it in return for my parents if they need a lift somewhere it works both ways!
There's a difference between getting a lift with your parents because it's quick and convenient (which is fine) and being unable to get yourself anywhere unless a parent gives you a lift (which is something you should probably be beyond by the time you're in your teens). If you are at college and have no idea how to use public transport, it's time you practiced. If you're worried about it making you late, start with the journey home.
Original post by Fresher18
Not at all! If I can get a lift somewhere and don't have to pay for a taxi or gas then I'm doing it and I am one who likes to be as independent as much as possible but gas is expensive as are Ubers, plus I'll do it in return for my parents if they need a lift somewhere it works both ways!

There's a difference between getting a lift with your parents because it's quick and convenient (which is fine) and being unable to get yourself anywhere unless a parent gives you a lift (which is something you should probably be beyond by the time you're in your teens). If you are at college and have no idea how to use public transport, it's time you practiced. If you're worried about it making you late, start with the journey home.

Staff members in college were saying its not very independent and that I will have to get a bus to college
Original post by Fresher18

Not to college, I mean to work they said when I get a job I'll have to get a bus there
Reply 13
Original post by Anonymous
Staff members in college were saying its not very independent and that I will have to get a bus to college

My daughter is a doctor and I frequently give her a lift to work. It's nothing to do with independence, it's just convenient.
I don't think it matters at all, and it's one of those things that you might think about, but that nobody else will really be paying that much attention to. So no, it's not embarrassing.
(edited 2 years ago)
Have you ever caught a bus somewhere? Would you know how to, if your family member was ill and/or couldn't give you a lift?

If yes, there is no issue.

If no then this is a basic life skill which someone who is old enough to go to college really should learn.
do u judge people for being dropped off by their parents?
Original post by meddad
My daughter is a doctor and I frequently give her a lift to work. It's nothing to do with independence, it's just convenient.

I know, they first said it because I was late to college that I should get myself on a bus then I started leaving earlier with them, they said I should get a bus to college to be more independent and they said everyone else in my class makes their own way
Lots of people get the bus/train to work and college, I used to get it everyday to college when I was there because my parents couldn't drive me the 1hr each way but they would give me a lift to work since it was only 10 minutes from my house and there weren't busses running there. It might not be independent but there's nothing wrong with it if they are happy to do it, lots of my colleagues got lifts from family/friends before they could drive so nothing to be ashamed over
Have you ever caught a bus somewhere? Would you know how to, if your family member was ill and/or couldn't give you a lift?

If yes, there is no issue.

If no then this is a basic life skill which someone who is old enough to go to college really should learn.

I used to get buses from college a year ago or a bit over now but stopped

Original post by marweetos
do u judge people for being dropped off by their parents?

No why would I do that lol, I get dropped off by them myself

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending