✨Motivational/GYG ✨

Watch
KA_P
Badges: 19
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
So, I've been motivated to start this thread (not sure if I'll be commited enough to make this a blog but we shall see) for a few reasons:
Spoiler:
Show
- it'll be fun!
- I'd like to share advice and my experiences (+ promote self-love and positive visualisation)
- I think it'll motivate me and hopefully others
- it'll be cool to read other people's advice and experiences and thoughts

A bit of background info...
Spoiler:
Show
I'm currently on my gap year and applying to study Medicine.

Currently working as a HCA - I left sixth form a few months ago.

Interests-wise, there's too many things so let's skip past that for now.
Spoiler:
Show
Can now check this out on my wellbeing thread

General advice for lack of motivation:
Spoiler:
Show
Stop with the grey environment.
Study in a place where you are able to concentrate. Take a proper break in a different place with a different atmosphere. Don't eliminate breaks from your study period.
Study with friends.
Get teachers to do afternoon or after-school sessions.
Use you exam board spec to guide you. It's literally so useful. Annotate it and highlight it. Use that as your base.
Do lots of questions.
Jot down similar questions that keep on appearing and the main marking points. Do the same for questions that you keep on getting wrong/ not full marks on.
Use ACTIVE RECALL, it saves a lot of time rereading etc.
Watch yt vids to revise or go over a topic etc.
That's all I have for the moment.

My main advice when studying/revising for GCSEs and A-Levels:
Spoiler:
Show
- use the specification: print it it out, learn from it, annotate it.
- do as many past paper questions as possible under timed conditions.
- for questions that pop up a lot of questions you struggle to get any or full marks on, after attempting them, look at the mark scheme and jot down the main marking points and learn them.
- try to use different methods of revision to see what suits you: speak it out, teach it to an object, ACTIVE RECALL, use mind maps, flashcards, etc.
- do revision/review sessions with friends (texting, group voice/video calls or in person) or lunch/after school sessions with teachers.
- utilise resources at your disposal: Quizlet, YouTube (so many YouTubers post videos explaining topics in a simpler way), as well as other websites that depends on your subject.
- avoid a grey environment. Separate your study environment from your play environment. Come out of your room, get fresh air and study in an environment that would support your learning. Take breaks when you need, but do it away from your study environment or that's just procrastination not a real break.
- see studying as something you enjoy and something you can gain from rather than a chore.
- don't constantly think about failure. Imagine yourself acing those small assessments and those exams. Stop questioning yourself and your abilities. You're amazing and you should believe in yourself.
- don't see failure as the end of the road. See failure as a learning opportunity. Reflect on what you need to do to improve and actively try to improve. Each and every thing you face in life is a hidden learning opportunity - it's up to you to utilise it.

Essay/EPQ advice:
Spoiler:
Show
- 10% of word count is for the introduction.
- Another 10% is for the conclusion.
- The rest of the word count is for the main body.
- Plan before starting and take things a step at a time.
I personally planned for each section by putting down questions that I wanted to have answered by the end of that section. It really gave me a direction of what to write and it also meant that I won't be overwhelmed as I can tick off which questions I've answered.
- As difficult as it sounds, don't leave it to the last minute🥺. You'll be glad. It's so exhausting sitting at the computer, brain vomitting words onto the screen. There's huge difference to how you feel if you do it early compared to if you do it last minute. Also, a lot of benefits. If you finish early, then you can get people to read and critique it, and you can perfect the essay.
- Know which type of essay you are writing, for example there's critical analysis (evaluating various sources you have used and also which one is useful or not, etc.) or literature reviews and many others, which all have a certain approach to use.
- I actually only have critical analysis essay experience, so I can only give advice on that. Reflect on what the sources has said, why is it significant, are their views similar to views of other sources or does it contradict what another source has said. In terms of evaluating whether a source is useful or not. It's easier to think about when source is not useful, i.e. when it has limitations. Limitations are the age of the source, when it was published. The sample size of the population that was investigated. Making a conclusion on a small sample size isn't reliable since it doesn't represent the population as a whole. On the other hand, using a large sample size is very useful to have in a source. Another limitation is the source being having bias in it or only looking at one perspective of the matter. I personally included this evaluation in my conclusion.

That's all I have so far - let's see if I can add more in the future.
Last edited by KA_P; 3 days ago
KA_P
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Statement of the day:

Quails are cute, (but poop a lot).

Here's one posing for the camera like a pro..
Name:  Screenshot_2021-12-30-00-30-06-41_99c04817c0de5652397fc8b56c3b3817.jpg
Views: 29
Size:  146.1 KB
This is a female from the dark brown speckles on her chest
Last edited by KA_P; 2 weeks ago
KA_P
Rep:
Tags of Joy✨
Agashii_ Sohello CoochieMan WTSBLG Clintt15 wifd149 jannabi
Slx.24 Squiggles1238 0ptics summerbirdreads Rara345
I'll add anyone else who wants to be tagged
Agashii_
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by KA_P)
Statement of the day:

this blog is the cutest thing i've ever seen 🥺 I'll be coming here often

(Original post by KA_P)
Tags of Joy✨
Agashii_

THANKS FOR THE TAG!!
KA_P
Rep:
(Original post by Agashii_)
this blog is the cutest thing i've ever seen 🥺 I'll be coming here often

THANKS FOR THE TAG!!
:cry2::bird: Thank you!! I'll welcome you with open arms 😋
Sohello
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 2 weeks ago
Love this!! Keep it up
KA_P
Rep:
(Original post by Sohello)
Love this!! Keep it up
🤗 Welcome!!
wifd149
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by KA_P)
Tags of Joy✨
Agashii_ Sohello CoochieMan WTSBLG Clintt15

I'mmmmm hereeee tooo!

Looking forward to your EPQ advice! :woo: (says the law student that hates essays but is ironically doing law)
Clintt15
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by KA_P)
Tags of Joy✨
Agashii_ Sohello CoochieMan WTSBLG Clintt15

Love this - thanks for the tag:hugs:
wifd149
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by KA_P)
Statement of the day:

How you get so close is incredible. They always fly away when I come close
KA_P
Rep:
(Original post by wifd149)
I'mmmmm hereeee tooo!

Looking forward to your EPQ advice! :woo: (says the law student that hates essays but is ironically doing law)
:rofl: Hello and welcome!! Definitely will get to that soon
KA_P
Rep:
(Original post by Clintt15)
Love this - thanks for the tag:hugs:
❤️
KA_P
Rep:
(Original post by wifd149)
How you get so close is incredible. They always fly away when I come close
That's so true😭 it took a lot of time trying to get them used to my presence and slowly bringing my hand closer, so they know I'm not a danger😂 the baby chicks are the cutest and smallest things ever
Clintt15
Rep:
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by KA_P)
That's so true😭 it took a lot of time trying to get them used to my presence and slowly bringing my hand closer, so they know I'm not a danger😂 the baby chicks are the cutest and smallest things ever
Wait a sec - you took that picture yourself :eek:
WTSBLG
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by KA_P)
Tags of Joy✨
Agashii_ Sohello CoochieMan WTSBLG Clintt15 wifd149

Ahhh thanks for the tag!!

The quail is so cute :cry2: Looking forward to this already!!
KA_P
Rep:
Wait a sec - you took that picture yourself :eek:
Yeah hehehe - is it a good photo???
KA_P
Rep:
(Original post by WTSBLG)
Ahhh thanks for the tag!!

The quail is so cute :cry2: Looking forward to this already!!
😭❤️ Thank you!!!
Clintt15
Rep:
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by KA_P)
Yeah hehehe - is it a good photo???
Its incredible
KA_P
Rep:
Its incredible
🥺 I'm so glad!!!
CoochieMan
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by KA_P)
Tags of Joy✨
Agashii_ Sohello CoochieMan WTSBLG Clintt15 wifd149 jannabi

Yay thank you for the tag Good luck!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you ever considered or are you currently considering an apprenticeship?

Yes, I am actively considering an apprenticeship (66)
12.24%
I am actively considering an alternative to uni that isn't an apprenticeship (9)
1.67%
I have considered an apprenticeship but it's not for me (141)
26.16%
I am considering a degree apprenticeship (44)
8.16%
I haven't considered an apprenticeship (261)
48.42%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (18)
3.34%

Watched Threads