The Student Room Group
UAL entrance
University of the Arts London
London
Visit website

Applying for Fashion Journalism at CSM ?

Hi! I'm currently studying fashion journalism at Central Saint Martins, UAL! I also work as a model, freelance styling assistant and am building up my own styling portfolio. I always sought advice on this forum whilst applying as I couldn't find any resources for it elsewhere so I'm happy to answer any questions regarding the course or the university! I could maybe even ask about other courses from friends that are on them :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by dangerousrickyd
Hi! I'm currently studying fashion journalism at Central Saint Martins, UAL! I also work as a model, freelance styling assistant and am building up my own styling portfolio. I always sought advice on this forum whilst applying as I couldn't find any resources for it elsewhere so I'm happy to answer any questions regarding the course or the university! I could maybe even ask about other courses from friends that are on them :smile:

hi! ty so much for posting this - i’m applying for 2022 entry for fashion journalism @ csm and lcf :wink:

i had some questions:
when did you hear back after sending your written piece? i only sent the 800 word piece and no other material - was i expected to include things eg mood boards - and because i didn’t, will i be penalised? also, did you have to do an interview? if so, what was the experience?

sorry that’s quite a lot of questions, but would really appreciate your insight - thanks!
UAL entrance
University of the Arts London
London
Visit website
Original post by mercy-o
hi! ty so much for posting this - i’m applying for 2022 entry for fashion journalism @ csm and lcf :wink:

i had some questions:
when did you hear back after sending your written piece? i only sent the 800 word piece and no other material - was i expected to include things eg mood boards - and because i didn’t, will i be penalised? also, did you have to do an interview? if so, what was the experience?

sorry that’s quite a lot of questions, but would really appreciate your insight - thanks!

Hi!
I also applied for both ! No you wont get penalised for not submitting other stuff. I remember there was a massive questions if there we needed a portfolio and in the end we didn't. So the written piece is the only piece you had to submit. Yes there was an interview, which I'd say for me was the most difficult part of the application, especially depending on the tutor you get ahahah. But if you get an interview, my best advice is to have some answers sort of prepared. So that would be like why fashion journalism? Why fashion? What do you read? What fashion Journalists do you like (that one is harder than you think) and general questions like that.

I remember it took agggggeeeeesss to hear back about the outcome. I think i applied in January, submitted the written piece in February and had an interview maybe March? And then I got my offer some time in April.

Hope that was useful :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by mercy-o

i had some questions:

Hey, I’ve also applied to fashion journalism at Csm! I sent my application about 3 weeks ago but I’ve not heard anything back yet
Reply 4
anyone heard anything? :smile: i haven’t yet so wanted to know if anyone else is in the same boat
Reply 5
Original post by dangerousrickyd

Hi.. I appreciate this is an old post but hoping you are still willing to give advice to CSM Fashion Journalism applicants! I applied in November…submitted my article in December and had an interview in March now nervously awaiting the outcome nearly 5 weeks on…do you know roughly how many places there are on the FJ course? I’ve seen a couple of people getting offers but hoping there are still going to be more places available and no news is still good news!!!
Reply 6
hey!
i'm in the same boat for fashion journalism at csm - i applied and had an online zoom interview in march and still haven't heard back!! don't worry about no reply yet, your not the only one! to make u feel better my friend studies fashion photography at ual and didn't receive any response until after the deadline, i think UAL in general are pretty slow to reply x
Original post by Anonymous
Hi.. I appreciate this is an old post but hoping you are still willing to give advice to CSM Fashion Journalism applicants! I applied in November…submitted my article in December and had an interview in March now nervously awaiting the outcome nearly 5 weeks on…do you know roughly how many places there are on the FJ course? I’ve seen a couple of people getting offers but hoping there are still going to be more places available and no news is still good news!!!
Reply 7
hey!
i'm in the same boat for fashion journalism at csm - i applied and had an online zoom interview in march and still haven't heard back!! don't worry about no reply yet, your not the only one! to make u feel better my friend studies fashion photography at ual and didn't receive any response until after the deadline, i think UAL in general are pretty slow to reply x

Thank you!! Its good to know Im not the only one still waiting, hopefully we will both hear soon!
Reply 8
Thank you!! Its good to know Im not the only one still waiting, hopefully we will both hear soon!

let me know how yours goes! x
Reply 9

Hi, I’m a current student on first year journalism. This time last year, I was in a similar boat to you. I had my interview March 22, and found out early, on April 14, but only because I emailed CSM admissions demanding to know lol - my UAL portal had updated saying they had made a decision, but that decision wasn’t updated on UCAS for a few weeks after I first found out.

There are about 20 students in my class. If you have any other questions let me know, as I know how stressful it can be.
Reply 10
hey! did anyone get an offer for csm ba fashion journalism? i’d love to meet people on the course as i’m finding the idea of csm quite daunting
Reply 11
Hi, I’m not at university level yet but it’s my dream to study this course. I was wondering if there are any things or skills that they like you to have when applying? Like things I can do in high school to further my chances of getting in. Thank you :smile: hope you all get in!!
Original post by Petitwish
Hi, I’m a current student on first year journalism. This time last year, I was in a similar boat to you. I had my interview March 22, and found out early, on April 14, but only because I emailed CSM admissions demanding to know lol - my UAL portal had updated saying they had made a decision, but that decision wasn’t updated on UCAS for a few weeks after I first found out.
There are about 20 students in my class. If you have any other questions let me know, as I know how stressful it can be.
Hi I know this is old but hoping you might still be here. I haven’t gotten an interview invite yet for fashion journalism. Should I take it as a rejection at this stage? Others got invited Monday
Original post by Anonymous #3
Hi I know this is old but hoping you might still be here. I haven’t gotten an interview invite yet for fashion journalism. Should I take it as a rejection at this stage? Others got invited Monday
I got mine exactly two years ago the other day, but I know others in my class got theirs later in the week. So I would hold out until the end of this week! The tutors have a lot of applications to go through and articles to read, so I think they do it in stages.
I got mine exactly two years ago the other day, but I know others in my class got theirs later in the week. So I would hold out until the end of this week! The tutors have a lot of applications to go through and articles to read, so I think they do it in stages.
Okay thank you so much. I’ll wait and hope for the best. Really don’t feel positive though
hi, i have an interview on tuesday and i’m nervous about the interview stage. do you have any knowledge about what they look for? and what sort of questions they might ask me?
Original post by Anonymous7777jjj
hi, i have an interview on tuesday and i’m nervous about the interview stage. do you have any knowledge about what they look for? and what sort of questions they might ask me?
Hey do u mind me asking when you applied and when u got called for interview?
Hey do u mind me asking when you applied and when u got called for interview?
Hi, I sent my application at the beginning of January and heard back from them the day after to write an article. I had a week to finish the article, and after I sent it, I didn’t hear back from them until last week for an interview.
Original post by Anonymous7777jjj
Hi, I sent my application at the beginning of January and heard back from them the day after to write an article. I had a week to finish the article, and after I sent it, I didn’t hear back from them until last week for an interview.
Yeah I wrote the article and everything. I applied end of Jan but I’ve not heard back for interview :frown: prob am gonna get rejected. Are you a home student? Best of luck with your interview
Yeah I wrote the article and everything. I applied end of Jan but I’ve not heard back for interview :frown: prob am gonna get rejected. Are you a home student? Best of luck with your interview
I'm sure you'll be okay. Stay positive; many people apply, and it takes time to get through to everybody. Give it a couple more weeks, and if anything, you can contact the university via email. And yes, I'm a home student. How about yourself? and thank you!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending