The Student Room Group

17 - not learnt to drive and feeling embarrased :(

I am 17 and have not learnt to drive yet
I feel embarrased as a lot of people in my year at school have already passed and most of my friends have started lessons :frown:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by sunsetlover321
I feel embarrased as a lot of people in my year at school have already passed and most of my friends have started lessons :frown:

Do you not have enough money or something?

Don't worry about it, it's very common to not learn to drive immediately. You aren't somehow a worse person or a failure if you haven't learnt to drive! If you want to start, look into getting some driving lessons. Maybe your friends can recommend instructors?
Depending on where you live, you don't necessarily need to learn to drive at the moment. If you are in London, it is very easy to get about without a car.
Original post by On P0int
Do you not have enough money or something?

Not really - no part time job or parents money
It is just that everyone around me (my age) has learned to drive and I have not :frown:
Original post by booklover1313
Don't worry about it, it's very common to not learn to drive immediately. You aren't somehow a worse person or a failure if you haven't learnt to drive! If you want to start, look into getting some driving lessons. Maybe your friends can recommend instructors?
Depending on where you live, you don't necessarily need to learn to drive at the moment. If you are in London, it is very easy to get about without a car.

Thank you!
I am planning to go to uni next year so may have to learn with one instructor then go to uni elsewhere and find another one
Is this common?
Is it okay that I do this?

all im saying, if they are using non-electric cars, you are more helpful to the environment.
(edited 2 years ago)
If you don’t have the means then there’s nothing you can do about it. I didn’t learn until I was into my thirties.
I haven't started either, it's not the end of the world lol. I just have different priorities right now to others. (Also 17)
(edited 2 years ago)
Thank you!
I am planning to go to uni next year so may have to learn with one instructor then go to uni elsewhere and find another one
Is this common?
Is it okay that I do this?

Yes I'm sure it's ok to change instructors when you go to uni. One thing to bear in mind is that driving lessons can be quite expensive on a student budget, so I would factor that in beforehand. For reference, mine are £30 per hour, but I think you can get it cheaper than that, especially if you buy a package deal from somewhere like the AA or RED driving school.
Original post by schoolhelper
all im saying, if they are using non-electric cars, you are more helpful to the environment.

Haha true :smile:
Original post by Admit-One
If you don’t have the means then there’s nothing you can do about it. I didn’t learn until I was into my thirties.

Thank you :smile:
Hopefully I will learn in my 20s
Original post by mystudentlife
I haven't started either, it's not the end of the world lol. I just have different priorities right now to others. (Also 17)

What are your priorities?
So nice to hear from another fellow 17 year old :smile:
Original post by booklover1313
Yes I'm sure it's ok to change instructors when you go to uni. One thing to bear in mind is that driving lessons can be quite expensive on a student budget, so I would factor that in beforehand. For reference, mine are £30 per hour, but I think you can get it cheaper than that, especially if you buy a package deal from somewhere like the AA or RED driving school.

I am have some money saved up already and I am also planning to get a part time job as a bank HCA in a hospital :smile:
Thank you for your response!
What are your priorities?
So nice to hear from another fellow 17 year old :smile:

Well, I am in year 13 so my priority rn is doing well in my a levels. Why would I need a vehicle at this age its just extra cost, the only place I really go to is sixth form and to visit family sometimes.
(edited 2 years ago)
Well, I am in year 13 so my priority rn is doing well in my a levels. Why would I need a vehicle at this age its just extra cost, the only place I really go to is sixth form and to visit family sometimes.

Honestly same - do not really go out with friends and if I did I would get a bus or taxi.
Where abouts are you from as if you live in London or another big city then learning to drive would be a waste with traffic and good transport links (unless your future career requires you to drive then driving is a must)
I am from Derbyshire where driving is sort of essential but there are still transport links to get to places such as Notts and Derby :smile:
When I was 17 most people I knew couldn't drive. I learned at 18 but I was one of the first out of my friendship group at the time. I didn't actually get a car until I was 22 anyway.

My husband is 45 and he can't drive.

There's no reason it needs to be rushed.
(edited 2 years ago)
I didn't learn till 30s either.

Was I surface jealous of some others when we were teens that they could drive and had a car and I didn't? sure. Was i in a position of maturity and stability to afford all the money, money and more money? Hell no.
Honestly same - do not really go out with friends and if I did I would get a bus or taxi.
Where abouts are you from as if you live in London or another big city then learning to drive would be a waste with traffic and good transport links (unless your future career requires you to drive then driving is a must)
I am from Derbyshire where driving is sort of essential but there are still transport links to get to places such as Notts and Derby :smile:

We have okay public transport, it's improved and I use it if I need to but yeh. Personally no point in me having a car in this stage of my life.
Original post by PinkMobilePhone
When I was 17 most people I knew couldn't drive. I learned at 18 but I was one of the first out of my friendship group at the time. I didn't actually get a car until I was 22 anyway.

My husband is 45 and he can't drive.

There's no reason it needs to be rushed.

Thank you :smile:
Unfortuntely the job I want to do in the future most jobs require a full driving liecense so I will probably start learning next year hopefully in the summer after A-level exams once I have my provisional liecense...
We have okay public transport, it's improved and I use it if I need to but yeh. Personally no point in me having a car in this stage of my life.

Thats good that you have good transport links :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending