SupposedlyIronic
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hello,

Basically I tried uni this year and it wasn't for me. It was all online for one, so I fully expected to go back at some point when it wouldn't be, but after having a taste of the working world and thinking about other options I think an apprenticeship is a much better option.

The problem is I've been browsing on the government's website and there's not many around Manchester in the sectors I'd be interested in. I'm going to have a deeper search but wondered if anyone was aware of any in something like media and content creation, education, hospitality (what I'm working in right now), social sciences, or something along these lines. I have a few different interests in mind as you can see, I'm basically just not into STEM, investment banking, and these kind of sectors.

Also if anyone doing an apprenticeship has anything to share about what to expect or to look for I'd be happy to hear it!

Thanks
brainzistheword
Badges: 22
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by ashtolga23)
Hello,

Basically I tried uni this year and it wasn't for me. It was all online for one, so I fully expected to go back at some point when it wouldn't be, but after having a taste of the working world and thinking about other options I think an apprenticeship is a much better option.

The problem is I've been browsing on the government's website and there's not many around Manchester in the sectors I'd be interested in. I'm going to have a deeper search but wondered if anyone was aware of any in something like media and content creation, education, hospitality (what I'm working in right now), social sciences, or something along these lines. I have a few different interests in mind as you can see, I'm basically just not into STEM, investment banking, and these kind of sectors.

Also if anyone doing an apprenticeship has anything to share about what to expect or to look for I'd be happy to hear it!

Thanks
Do you have any preference for the level of apprenticeship you would like? Only reason I ask is that I would assume you are looking for a Degree Apprenticeship - but if any of the sectors you mention are completely new to you then I wondered if you'd be willing to consider a Level 3/4 apprenticeship too?

In terms of finding an apprenticeship, it's sometimes easier to research specific companies in the sectors you're interested in. Often, they advertise Early Career schemes on their own website but it may not be picked up by bigger databases like the government one you've looked at.

Good luck in your search! I did an Advanced Apprenticeship (albeit in a STEM field) so if I can help with anything else at all just let me know
SupposedlyIronic
Rep:
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
(Original post by brainzistheword)
Do you have any preference for the level of apprenticeship you would like? Only reason I ask is that I would assume you are looking for a Degree Apprenticeship - but if any of the sectors you mention are completely new to you then I wondered if you'd be willing to consider a Level 3/4 apprenticeship too?

In terms of finding an apprenticeship, it's sometimes easier to research specific companies in the sectors you're interested in. Often, they advertise Early Career schemes on their own website but it may not be picked up by bigger databases like the government one you've looked at.

Good luck in your search! I did an Advanced Apprenticeship (albeit in a STEM field) so if I can help with anything else at all just let me know
Thank you so much for replying!

Yeah your guess was pretty good haha. Degree apprenticeship is ideal having already been through A-Levels but like you say if a sector is completely new I'd be willing to enter it lower down.

That's really interesting to know actually, thank you. I did think there had to be more than the government website was displaying. I'll have a look into that.

Thank you so much, that's so kind of you. Happy new year as well!
brainzistheword
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by ashtolga23)
Thank you so much for replying!

Yeah your guess was pretty good haha. Degree apprenticeship is ideal having already been through A-Levels but like you say if a sector is completely new I'd be willing to enter it lower down.

That's really interesting to know actually, thank you. I did think there had to be more than the government website was displaying. I'll have a look into that.

Thank you so much, that's so kind of you. Happy new year as well!
No problem at all! I hope you manage to find an apprenticeship that suits you. There are more and more Degree Apprenticeships being added all the time so even if there's nothing out there at this moment, it's worth checking regularly

Good luck and happy new year to you too!
Emma:-)
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 3 weeks ago

I agree
SupposedlyIronic
Rep:
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
No problem at all! I hope you manage to find an apprenticeship that suits you. There are more and more Degree Apprenticeships being added all the time so even if there's nothing out there at this moment, it's worth checking regularly

Good luck and happy new year to you too!
Thank you so much!!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

When did you submit your Ucas application if you applied to go to university this year?

September 2021 (36)
7.2%
October 2021 (223)
44.6%
November 2021 (59)
11.8%
December 2021 (64)
12.8%
January 2021 (60)
12%
I still haven't submitted it yet! (43)
8.6%