The Student Room Group

Apprenticeships

Hello,

Basically I tried uni this year and it wasn't for me. It was all online for one, so I fully expected to go back at some point when it wouldn't be, but after having a taste of the working world and thinking about other options I think an apprenticeship is a much better option.

The problem is I've been browsing on the government's website and there's not many around Manchester in the sectors I'd be interested in. I'm going to have a deeper search but wondered if anyone was aware of any in something like media and content creation, education, hospitality (what I'm working in right now), social sciences, or something along these lines. I have a few different interests in mind as you can see, I'm basically just not into STEM, investment banking, and these kind of sectors.

Also if anyone doing an apprenticeship has anything to share about what to expect or to look for I'd be happy to hear it!

Original post by ashtolga23
Hello,

Basically I tried uni this year and it wasn't for me. It was all online for one, so I fully expected to go back at some point when it wouldn't be, but after having a taste of the working world and thinking about other options I think an apprenticeship is a much better option.

The problem is I've been browsing on the government's website and there's not many around Manchester in the sectors I'd be interested in. I'm going to have a deeper search but wondered if anyone was aware of any in something like media and content creation, education, hospitality (what I'm working in right now), social sciences, or something along these lines. I have a few different interests in mind as you can see, I'm basically just not into STEM, investment banking, and these kind of sectors.

Also if anyone doing an apprenticeship has anything to share about what to expect or to look for I'd be happy to hear it!

Do you have any preference for the level of apprenticeship you would like? Only reason I ask is that I would assume you are looking for a Degree Apprenticeship - but if any of the sectors you mention are completely new to you then I wondered if you'd be willing to consider a Level 3/4 apprenticeship too?

In terms of finding an apprenticeship, it's sometimes easier to research specific companies in the sectors you're interested in. Often, they advertise Early Career schemes on their own website but it may not be picked up by bigger databases like the government one you've looked at.

Good luck in your search! I did an Advanced Apprenticeship (albeit in a STEM field) so if I can help with anything else at all just let me know :smile:
Original post by brainzistheword
Do you have any preference for the level of apprenticeship you would like? Only reason I ask is that I would assume you are looking for a Degree Apprenticeship - but if any of the sectors you mention are completely new to you then I wondered if you'd be willing to consider a Level 3/4 apprenticeship too?

In terms of finding an apprenticeship, it's sometimes easier to research specific companies in the sectors you're interested in. Often, they advertise Early Career schemes on their own website but it may not be picked up by bigger databases like the government one you've looked at.

Good luck in your search! I did an Advanced Apprenticeship (albeit in a STEM field) so if I can help with anything else at all just let me know :smile:

Thank you so much for replying!

Yeah your guess was pretty good haha. Degree apprenticeship is ideal having already been through A-Levels but like you say if a sector is completely new I'd be willing to enter it lower down.

That's really interesting to know actually, thank you. I did think there had to be more than the government website was displaying. I'll have a look into that.

Thank you so much, that's so kind of you. Happy new year as well!
Original post by ashtolga23
Thank you so much for replying!

Yeah your guess was pretty good haha. Degree apprenticeship is ideal having already been through A-Levels but like you say if a sector is completely new I'd be willing to enter it lower down.

That's really interesting to know actually, thank you. I did think there had to be more than the government website was displaying. I'll have a look into that.

Thank you so much, that's so kind of you. Happy new year as well!

No problem at all! I hope you manage to find an apprenticeship that suits you. There are more and more Degree Apprenticeships being added all the time so even if there's nothing out there at this moment, it's worth checking regularly :smile:

Good luck and happy new year to you too!

I agree
No problem at all! I hope you manage to find an apprenticeship that suits you. There are more and more Degree Apprenticeships being added all the time so even if there's nothing out there at this moment, it's worth checking regularly :smile:

Good luck and happy new year to you too!

Thank you so much!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending