The Student Room Group

Allen and Overy solicitor apprenticeship 2022

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by bliss_an
I saw an article announcing it a while a go that said they're looking for 6 apprentices :s-smilie:.But yes I can imagine they'd have at least 700 applicants so I have no idea how this is gonna go.

I don't think we'll be in active competition with 700 people. 700 is a lot, especially since this is A&Os first year. You have to account for the people who did badly in the assessment/didn't have the grades without extenuating circumstances. Also a lot of people write applications without any real intention of putting energy into their application and get rejected immediately. And how many people could they invite to an interview anyways, not that much. Max like 100. So should we get to interview, I think the chances of us getting in will increase dramatically.
Original post by Enyonamldn
I don't think we'll be in active competition with 700 people. 700 is a lot, especially since this is A&Os first year. You have to account for the people who did badly in the assessment/didn't have the grades without extenuating circumstances. Also a lot of people write applications without any real intention of putting energy into their application and get rejected immediately. And how many people could they invite to an interview anyways, not that much. Max like 100. So should we get to interview, I think the chances of us getting in will increase dramatically.

700 applicants like in general I mean ofc not that many will get through to final stages especially bc they're recruiting on a rolling basis. The last apprenticeship I applied for they had like 600 applicants and by the assessment day there was only 8 people in mine (They did more than 1 assessment day) but because A&O is a much bigger firm i'm sure they will have more applicants. I think most people get cut out at the video interview stage (like the one we already did as part of the assessment) tbh those things are so stressful lmao. I hope all goes well though deffo let us know if/when you hear anything back because I think a lot of firms just leave people in the dark all the way until offers are handed out :frown:
Original post by bliss_an
700 applicants like in general I mean ofc not that many will get through to final stages especially bc they're recruiting on a rolling basis. The last apprenticeship I applied for they had like 600 applicants and by the assessment day there was only 8 people in mine (They did more than 1 assessment day) but because A&O is a much bigger firm i'm sure they will have more applicants. I think most people get cut out at the video interview stage (like the one we already did as part of the assessment) tbh those things are so stressful lmao. I hope all goes well though deffo let us know if/when you hear anything back because I think a lot of firms just leave people in the dark all the way until offers are handed out :frown:

if you look at the timeline though there are a lot more stages, one of them is the next interview, do you think there will be a group call stage? i've done those before in recruitment processes.
Reply 43
Original post by fr753563
if you look at the timeline though there are a lot more stages, one of them is the next interview, do you think there will be a group call stage? i've done those before in recruitment processes.

The timeline says it's just interviews then offers. They're rejecting most people now
The timeline says it's just interviews then offers. They're rejecting most people now

oh wow ok
Reply 45
Hi everyone :smile:

I, too have got past the immersive assessment - like someone said above, my video question also left much to be desired but hey ho. From what I’ve seen, A&O is looking to recruit 6 apprentices and the application process goes as follows:

1. Immersive Assessment
2. Insight Day
3. Two interviews
4. Offer

Hope we hear back soon fingers crossed!
Reply 46
No news for anyone?! :smile:
Original post by jador66
No news for anyone?! :smile:

not yet haha
Reply 48
I don’t think they’re recruiting on a rolling basis especially when it’s the first year they’re doing it and on the website it says make sure to try and submit your application at least 48 hours before the deadline so you can do your assessment; I think they’re trying to see everyone’s applications and then invite people onwards from that point so Mid Feb.
Reply 49
What would everyone do for living arrangements if you got selected? Or are you all from London?
Original post by Azhm786
What would everyone do for living arrangements if you got selected? Or are you all from London?

either try and live w family, or find some kind of house share situation. London is so expensive 😭
Reply 51
Original post by Azhm786

Oh wow! For some reason it didn’t occur to me that people are applying from outside haha. I live 40mins from the office by train. Would you permanently relocate for the job then?
Oh wow! For some reason it didn’t occur to me that people are applying from outside haha. I live 40mins from the office by train. Would you permanently relocate for the job then?

I live 4 hours away so yeah i’d have to relocate
Reply 53
Yh I think a house share is a good idea
Original post by Azhm786

I'm from the Midlands so I think I would have to get a house share or something. I suppose if there's only 6 apprentices, we could all work something out and share together but I think I'm going a bit far ahead there
Reply 55
Original post by katieb0304
I'm from the Midlands so I think I would have to get a house share or something. I suppose if there's only 6 apprentices, we could all work something out and share together but I think I'm going a bit far ahead there

Yh imagine you’re the only one not from london😂
Who's applied? Making a support group.
Has anyone heard back yet?? I know it's early but I'm literally loosing my mind lol.

I applied last week and just got the email today saying that I had been successful in reaching the next phase. Thought my videos went alright but the test results I received made me think I wasn’t going to get through. Pleasantly surprised though.
Reply 57
*UPDATE FOR EVERYONE*
There was a Allen and Overy Uptree event on zoom. Nothing major, it was like a talk through of the application process, for people thinking about applying.
In this meeting there was a Q&A, during which they said, 'they have a high number of applicants' but they 'will only be inviting 15 people to interview' and of that 15 people 'six will be receiving offers'
They are expecting to get back to everyone around the middle of march, so we can stop refreshing our email every five minutes.

The takeaway I got from this is that the majority of us won't even be receiving interviews, but those that do will have an excellent chance, 40%, of getting in.
hey! i have just finished writing my application and will send it off on Thursday next week (to give me the weekend to do the assessment). I was just wondering if anyone can clarify the videos for me? do you literally have one take to film yourself answering a question? thank you :smile:
Reply 59
Original post by emmag0076
hey! i have just finished writing my application and will send it off on Thursday next week (to give me the weekend to do the assessment). I was just wondering if anyone can clarify the videos for me? do you literally have one take to film yourself answering a question? thank you :smile:

You send if off before you do the assessment. You don't get the link to do the assessment until you send it off. Yes a question appears on screen and you have 30s to think of an answer before your device starts recording. This recording is uploaded automatically, so no, there are no second chances.

Quick Reply

Latest