any idea or hints for this question pleaseeee

Watch this thread
zuzannasendor18
Badges: 11
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
Homeostatic control of temperature is an example of negative feedback. Atherosclerosis is an example of positive feedback.

Outline the sequence of events that lead to the development of atherosclerosis and explain why it is a positive feedback loop.

- atherosclerosis process i know
- I am struggling with 'why it is a positive feedback loop'

Someone please help me
bts_k-popFAN!
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 months ago
no idea
TheVirtualPhoton
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
I'm not too up to scratch on atherosclerosis myself, but maybe the diagram in figure 2 of this article: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6738649/ will help?
If they're not exactly the same as the steps you know, then try to identify a step in the atherosclerosis formation that promotes another step.
thomas.rhett
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by zuzannasendor18)
Homeostatic control of temperature is an example of negative feedback. Atherosclerosis is an example of positive feedback.

Outline the sequence of events that lead to the development of atherosclerosis and explain why it is a positive feedback loop.

Someone please help me
Development of atherosclerosis increases blood pressure because artery walls lose elasticity. High blood pressure (from atherosclerosis) causes damage to endothelium resulting in more plaque/atheroma ... aggravates atherosclerosis.
Jpw1097
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by thomas.rhett)
Development of atherosclerosis increases blood pressure because artery walls lose elasticity. High blood pressure (from atherosclerosis) causes damage to endothelium resulting in more plaque/atheroma ... aggravates atherosclerosis.
This answer is partly true, however, it ignores the fact that atherosclerosis is an inflammatory process.
Jpw1097
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by zuzannasendor18)

Someone please help me
I usually reserve the term feedback loops for physiological processes, like control of temperature, which you’ve mentioned. The best example of a positive feedback loop is during labour. As the baby’s head pushes on the cervix, this signals to the posterior pituitary to release more oxytocin, which increases uterine contractions, and so the cycle repeats.
I wouldn’t have called atherosclerosis a positive feedback loop, although it’s certainly a vicious cycle.
In atherosclerosis, there is some insult or trauma to the endothelium (lining of blood vessels) which allows LDL to enter the inner lining of the arterial wall. This LDL is oxidised, which is pro-inflammatory, which recruits inflammatory cells. These inflammatory cells release reactive oxygen species and pro-inflammatory mediators which recruits more inflammatory cells, and so the cycle continues.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you done work experience at school/college?

Yes (155)
41.67%
Not yet, but I will soon (69)
18.55%
No (148)
39.78%

Watched Threads