The Student Room Group

American HS Student Applying to UK, US, Irish Unis AMA

Hello everyone!
I’m in my senior year in PA, US and applying to US, UK, and Irish schools.
28 to be exact.
Ask me anything about US school reputations/specific info/ anything else!
Thought this could be helpful from the perspective of another student :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
Hello everyone!
I’m in my senior year in PA, US and applying to US, UK, and Irish schools.
28 to be exact.
Ask me anything about US school reputations/specific info/ anything else!
Thought this could be helpful from the perspective of another student :smile:

What schools are you applying to in the US and UK? And what's your major (if you know)?
Reply 2
Original post by ry7xsfa
What schools are you applying to in the US and UK? And what's your major (if you know)?

Hello! My major is Archaeology where applicable, and Anthropology elsewhere. If a school has Classical Archaeology I have applying to that!
US-
Barnard, Brown, Harvard, Johns Hopkins, NYU, Northwestern, Princeton, Stanford, UChicago, UMich, UPenn, Vassar, Yale, Arizona State (safety), UCs: Berkeley, LA, San Diego, Santa Barbara, Santa Cruz, Trinity/Columbia Dual Degree
UK- Oxford, St. Andrews, LSE, UCL, KCL, Edinburgh
IR- TCD and UCD
did you take gsce's/ucas/sat's/act's?

did you take any AP classes? do your scores transfer to irish/UK colleges differently?
(edited 2 years ago)
Hello! My major is Archaeology where applicable, and Anthropology elsewhere. If a school has Classical Archaeology I have applying to that!
US-
Barnard, Brown, Harvard, Johns Hopkins, NYU, Northwestern, Princeton, Stanford, UChicago, UMich, UPenn, Vassar, Yale, Arizona State (safety), UCs: Berkeley, LA, San Diego, Santa Barbara, Santa Cruz, Trinity/Columbia Dual Degree
IR- TCD and UCD

oh nice that's cool! Good luck with everything. Those are some very good and very competitive schools.
US-

You can't apply to 6 in the UK.... damn I forgot you can apply to like hundreds in the US lol
Original post by summerbirdreads
You can't apply to 6 in the UK.... damn I forgot you can apply to like hundreds in the US lol

St Andrews is on the Common App so they can apply through there and apply to the other 5 through UCAS.
US-
IR- TCD and UCD

Did you have a fee waiver for the US applications?!
Reply 8
Original post by 64Lightbulbs
did you take gsce's/ucas/sat's/act's?

did you take any AP classes? do your scores transfer to irish/UK colleges differently?

I took the ACT and AP exams. Yes, I find that for UK schools in particular transferring scores is a bit odd! To apply to the UK schools I had to do quite a bit of research about scores and how they compare to UK qualifications, especially because no one else from my high school has applied to international schools!
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by ry7xsfa
oh nice that's cool! Good luck with everything. Those are some very good and very competitive schools.

thank you!!
Did you have a fee waiver for the US applications?!

no :frown:(( I know it is absurd!! what is also crazy is that we have 2 methods of applying for financial aid in the us, the FAFSA and the CSS profile. and for the CSS, you have to PAY to apply for financial aid!
Original post by Vapordave
St Andrews is on the Common App so they can apply through there and apply to the other 5 through UCAS.

Oh okay fair... what's the Common App? :colondollar:
Oh okay fair... what's the Common App? :colondollar:

It's like UCAS but for US unis. Most are on it, but some aren't (notably MIT)
Original post by Vapordave
It's like UCAS but for US unis. Most are on it, but some aren't (notably MIT)

So, how did St Andrews end up on it?

It has a high number of US applicants.

Yes, it is similar to UCAS, with some notable additions. There is a lot more information that needs to go on it, such as listing extracurriculars and awards earned. you also have to put in a personal essay which goes to every school, and often answer additional school- specific essays. I think i’ve been writing 60+ essays for these schools 😅.
schools from any country can be on common app, and i guess st. andrews wanted to be easier to apply to bu international applicants!

There are quite a few UK uni's on it. If they show up there, they are more likely to attract US students, who pay international fees. St. Andrews is very well respected in the US. Durham is also on there. It makes sense for UK unis and I wouldn't be surprised if more did the same in the future.
Yes, it is similar to UCAS, with some notable additions. There is a lot more information that needs to go on it, such as listing extracurriculars and awards earned. you also have to put in a personal essay which goes to every school, and often answer additional school- specific essays. I think i’ve been writing 60+ essays for these schools 😅.
schools from any country can be on common app, and i guess st. andrews wanted to be easier to apply to bu international applicants!

Damn.. the thought of writing one PS is more than enough to make me nauseous ngl.. we don't have to do ECs for most academic courses in the UK, only super curricular which is great!
There are quite a few UK uni's on it. If they show up there, they are more likely to attract US students, who pay international fees. St. Andrews is very well respected in the US. Durham is also on there. It makes sense for UK unis and I wouldn't be surprised if more did the same in the future.

Tbh I'd expect the London unis to be there.. they attract the most international students along with Oxbridge ig..
Tbh I'd expect the London unis to be there.. they attract the most international students along with Oxbridge ig..

They don't really need to - there are so many international students who want to come to London anyway, and they have an international reputation anyway for stuff like medicine and science. There are 21 on there at present, from St. Andrews and Durham to Bangor and ESCP business school (whatever that is?!)

Quick Reply

Latest