The Student Room Group

A level options

Which a level subjects would be the bet and most ideal to choose if I want to be a solicitor? And which subjects at universities most interested in?
Original post by Salona
Which a level subjects would be the bet and most ideal to choose if I want to be a solicitor? And which subjects at universities most interested in?

To study law, you probably want to be doing some essay based subjects that also have analytical skills. Subjects like English or history would be a good fit, and so would a language. What subjects are you doing at the moment, and what do you enjoy?
Reply 2
Well, you don’t need any specific A-levels to become a solicitor. If you want to take the traditional route and study Law at university, then taking an essay based subject will help. However, in order to become a solicitor you don’t actually need to study Law at university. I’d say just pick whatever you enjoy, though an essay based subject would be helpful if you’re passionate about reading a Law degree at university.
Hey I want to become a barrister and they both are similarly linked and I want to take history, sociology and psychology next year. English lit is also quite good or languages or sciences even. With a law degree you can take anything really as long as it’s not some stuff universities don’t like such as critical studies and facilitating subjects are useful but nothing is compulsory to take other than some may have requirements but many don’t and some just prefer essay based subjects like history or English.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by booklover1313
To study law, you probably want to be doing some essay based subjects that also have analytical skills. Subjects like English or history would be a good fit, and so would a language. What subjects are you doing at the moment, and what do you enjoy?

I am currently in secondary and do all the core subjects and do business studies, geography and photography. I do enjoy English literature and maths the most, but also sometimes enjoy English language. I am interested towards being a solicitor, would it necessarily not matter with the certain subjects I choose for a level?
Original post by Salona
I am currently in secondary and do all the core subjects and do business studies, geography and photography. I do enjoy English literature and maths the most, but also sometimes enjoy English language. I am interested towards being a solicitor, would it necessarily not matter with the certain subjects I choose for a level?

There are no set subjects that you have to take, it's not like engineering when you usually need physics and maths/further maths. If you want to study law, which you don't necessarily need to do as your first degree, have a look at the uni entry requirements. There won't be a prescribed list of subjects, but they may suggest that essay-based ones are helpful.

For the top unis, photography and business studies as A levels would not be so well respected, so I would personally avoid them. Apart from that, you can choose subjects that you enjoy, but make sure that they include maybe 2 essay subjects.

How about doing english lit, geography and maths? That would keep options open but also give you a nice variety?
(edited 2 years ago)
You've already been told, correctly, that there are no specific requirements to study law or become a lawyer (solicitor or barrister). Essay based subjects are useful simply because they allow you to develop relevant skills that will help you when you come to study law at university. But the most important thing is that you choose subjects that you enjoy and stand the best chance of getting good grades in. The grades are by far and away the most important thing here. If you enjoy essay based subjects like History or English Literature and think you can do well in them, that's great. Take one or two of them, but probably not more because that's a lot of work you're taking on. But if you don't like them, don't force yourself into taking them. Take what you are interested in and will do well in.
I am currently in year 13 and want to be a solicitor - I’m taking English lit, history, biology and psychology at A level. You don’t have to pick any particular A levels but I would strongly recommend English and/or history, though I’d just pick what you are good and enthusiastic about, which will encourage you to work harder. From what I can gather, law schools just want high grades and an overall good application; as long as you have strong subjects with high grades you should be fine.
Original post by Salona

Id check unis websites to see if they specify any particular subjects. But with law at uni, i believe you dont need any specific subjects. But essay based subjects, such as english, history etc etc may be useful.

Quick Reply

Latest