I need help with my A-level options for studying economics at uni!

Watch this thread
larry128
Badges: 10
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
Hi everyone,
ive already created a similar thread to this about my a-level choices in general but I was wondering that if I decide go on to study economics at top unis like oxbridge, UCL, LSE etc then would it be advantageous to have studied economics at A-level or a science at A-Level.
I would either do:
Maths
Physics
Chem
+
EPQ
or
maths
chem
economics
+ EPQ
or potentially further maths instead of EPQ with both of them.
Thank you!
vidi2020
Badges: 14
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by larry128)
Hi everyone,
ive already created a similar thread to this about my a-level choices in general but I was wondering that if I decide go on to study economics at top unis like oxbridge, UCL, LSE etc then would it be advantageous to have studied economics at A-level or a science at A-Level.
I would either do:
Maths
Physics
Chem
+
EPQ
or
maths
chem
economics
+ EPQ
Thank you!
LSE needs further maths so if one of your choices is DEFFO LSE then do further maths otherwise you'd be rejected.
Maths+Economics+ one Science+FurtherM is a good choice tbf and eqp too if you can handle it!
larry128
Rep:
(Original post by vidi2020)
LSE needs further maths so if one of your choices is DEFFO LSE then do further maths otherwise you'd be rejected.
Maths+Economics+ one Science+FurtherM is a good choice tbf and eqp too if you can handle it!
ohhhh okay, thank you this was a very helpful subject combination! Do you think its better to do a science or to do economics?
Emma:-)
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 5 months ago
Hi everyone,
I would either do:
Maths
Physics
Chem
+
EPQ
or
maths
chem
economics
+ EPQ
Thank you!
Look on a few unis websites to see if/what subjects they require.
larry128
Rep:
(Original post by Emma:-))
Look on a few unis websites to see if/what subjects they require.
Yes I've looked at a few and they all require maths to a high grade and so I presume that further maths would also be useful (so I may do that as a fourth a-level instead of EPQ if GCSE maths goes well), however only UCL says that economics is required if offered and so I wasn't sure if other unis actually prefer economics taken to A-level or if they would prefer a science?
skylark2
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 5 months ago
only UCL says that economics is required if offered and so I wasn't sure if other unis actually prefer economics taken to A-level or if they would prefer a science?
If they don't say they prefer economics / a science, then they don't. They're not allowed to have secret preferences which they don't tell people about.
Emma:-)
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 5 months ago
Yes I've looked at a few and they all require maths to a high grade and so I presume that further maths would also be useful (so I may do that as a fourth a-level instead of EPQ if GCSE maths goes well), however only UCL says that economics is required if offered and so I wasn't sure if other unis actually prefer economics taken to A-level or if they would prefer a science?
Further maths as a 4th subject (which you could drop after AS if thats an option) is deffo an option.
If you are wanting to do economics at uni, then economics may be useful, and give you a bit of preparation, even if it isnt required by unis.
McGinger
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 5 months ago
Lots of advice about applying for Economics here - ie. you don't need an A level in Economics to study it at degree level : https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/economics_degree
sototo
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 5 months ago
Hi everyone,
I would either do:
Maths
Physics
Chem
+
EPQ
or
maths
chem
economics
+ EPQ
Thank you!
i think you should do maths, further maths, chemistry and economics - definitely further maths not epq and clearly you have an interest in economics so it would be better to do that and it shows versatility that you can do an essay subject
vidi2020
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 5 months ago
ohhhh okay, thank you this was a very helpful subject combination! Do you think its better to do a science or to do economics?
do economics for sure if you know u 100% want to do economics at uni! It'll help you lots! When it comes to your personal statement you need to mention stuff relating to your course so doing economics is helpful and may even be advantageous over other applicants.
larry128
Rep:
(Original post by sototo)
i think you should do maths, further maths, chemistry and economics - definitely further maths not epq and clearly you have an interest in economics so it would be better to do that and it shows versatility that you can do an essay subject
Thank you for the advice!! Yes this seems like a good combination and you're completely right, actually I didn't think about it showing versatility. 😊
larry128
Rep:
(Original post by vidi2020)
do economics for sure if you know u 100% want to do economics at uni! It'll help you lots! When it comes to your personal statement you need to mention stuff relating to your course so doing economics is helpful and may even be advantageous over other applicants.
Thank you so much! I'm not 100% sure yet but I will be later in the year when I've finished my GCSEs and can think about it more, but I do think that most likely I will do economics at uni. Yes that's completely true, I didn't really think about my personal statement and it is incredibly important. 😊
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Year 12s - where are you at with making decisions about university?

I’ve chosen my course and my university (14)
28%
I’ve chosen my course and shortlisted some universities (21)
42%
I’ve chosen my course, but not any universities (2)
4%
I’ve chosen my university, but not my course (2)
4%
I’ve shortlisted some universities, but not my course (4)
8%
I’m starting to consider my university options (6)
12%
I haven’t started thinking about university yet (0)
0%
I’m not planning on going to university (1)
2%

Watched Threads