The Student Room Group

How much times you took to pass Driving Test?

Hi guys, I was just curious how long did it take you to pass your driving test, and did you pass the first time?
Can share your experience and how many points you passed with. Also can give tips to people who are planning to or going to take it soon.
I passed first time, 4 days after my 17th birthday with 4 minors.
24 hrs of lessons, probably an additional 20 hours practice with my parents & 1 test.
(edited 2 years ago)
Passed recently first time, 5 minors. By the time I got a test date it was about 28 lessons and lots of practice with parents. In the last month I felt everything had clicked and didnt have to think about things like gear changes, just did them automatically and could then concentrate on the road.

Was surprised I'd passed as I knew when I had made mistakes and a couple of the minors felt worse than what a friend failed for!

Everyone is different and on the day it comes down to just a few minutes of driving so it could go either way. Just stick at it and dont be too disheartened if you dont pass first time.
Original post by Kelty
Hi guys, I was just curious how long did it take you to pass your driving test, and did you pass the first time?
Can share your experience and how many points you passed with. Also can give tips to people who are planning to or going to take it soon.

Passed first time with about 30 hours worth of lessons. It was on & off though due to the pandemic. My tip is to be confident, it’s all in the mentality. But at the same time it’s not the end of the world. I did last summer when I was 17 and I told myself I should be able to pass, but if I don’t then it’s not a big deal.
Reply 5
I took my first drive test when I was 21 and I had about 40 hours of lessons plus 5 hours in a simulator.
Usually, it depends on you and also have a few things which you get here https://drivingpress.com/how-long-does-a-driving-test-take/ how much driving test take.
(edited 2 years ago)
Passed first time. I was 18. I can't remember how many hours of lessons I had or how many minors I had - it was 20 years ago.
Passed first time I was 18 had 3 minors, I think I had about 15 hours of lessons and maybe about 5 hours with my parents just driving around local parking lots their car.
Original post by Kelty

I passed first time with 26 hours of driving overall and 3 minors, i did not and still dont feel confident driving in new places so i would recommend not rushing and taking about 1.5 hour lessons with your instructor and ask to go over common test routes. my best advice if you are desperate you drive like i was is to book the 8.00 tests because they are the most predictable routes as you cant go on big roads due to the morning rush. i talked to my friends who all did 8.00 tests and they all went a very similar way with the same manuvere so i practised those and luckily went the exact same route!
Failed 5 times lol
First time at 17...

Think I just barely got a pass mark on the theory questions (like 1 or 2 points over passing), but a pass is a pass at the end of the day, and slammed the HP part

The test was simple enough... Don't remember how many minors in total. I do distinctly remember two I did get, one for approaching a roundabout too quickly (had to brake a bit harshly to avoid pulling out on someone as I came in a bit quick but the examiner didn't step in) and one for control because I stalled once. I definitely got more than 2 minors though, those are just the ones I remember.

IIRC it was something like 1hr a week ~Jan or Feb to September with some gaps, so I think it worked out at around 25 hours or so? No private practice.
I passed 4th time
Passed first time :smile: a month after my 18th.

Stay calm, its not the end of the world if you don't pass, have a banana before your test. (trust me)
Two. Passed with 5 minors. First time failed in first 5 mins leaving test centre :frown:

Top tips:

1) Don't worry if you fail, doesn't mean you are a bad driver. Sometimes it's luck. I looked wrong way at a junction, got a minor and passed but if a car came I'd have been screwed.

2) Slowing down + good mirror checks solves 99% of problems if you're in city routes where there's constantly people doing stupid things/cars parked stupidly.

3)Know how to reverse! Many people don't. They just memorise formula.
This is responsible for many fails in parallel park when people try to get close to kerb and end up hitting.
It's better for u to be a bit farther and then get closer as u reverse back.
Remember : the way u steer in reverse is the way the BACK of your car moves. Instead of imagining front imagine back move and it will become easier.
At slow speed u can watch the car correct itself and u will never fail maneuver.

4) IGNORE other drivers beeping or being impatient. As long as u are safe (but not hesitant) go on. Again especially for city routes where other drivers are impatient when u give room to cyclists or slow for ppl 'illegally' crossing street

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending