The Student Room Group

Chem GCSE helppp

i have my chem mock next week and i just did a past paper and got 40%

i did not understand a thing in it and idk what to do

i take edexcel igcse and we have everything in it apart from the last unit

any tips?? x
Tips (this got me a 9-9 in combined science with around 80-90% in Chem mocks)
1. Physics and maths tutor topic questions. Be reeeeally harsh with yourself and ask yourself, what do I genuinely not understand, what am I losing marks on? Write down those topics and do questions on PMT on them.
2. After you do those questions, mark them and all the ones you got wrong put them on a flashcard on quizlet or Anki, I would prefer Anki because it uses the principle of active recall meaning it works really well with memory.
3. Or, even better if you decide that you struggle with bonding. Go on every, single Edexcel paper and do the questions that have bonding on it and MEMORISE the mark scheme and understand what it is asking you and what you need to respond with some questions the markscheme is legit identical, the same explanation will always be used with explanations on why ionic bonding has a high boiling point or why Aluminium can conduct electricity.
4. I defo would invest in Chemsheets too up until exams they have tons od questions that better help you understand.
5. Dont waste your time watching a primrosekitten video shes useless, watch freesciencelessons on the topics you dont understand
6. Get your head around moles (mass = MR X mol)

Hope this helps, you'll do fine!
Original post by hss_2004
Tips (this got me a 9-9 in combined science with around 80-90% in Chem mocks)
1. Physics and maths tutor topic questions. Be reeeeally harsh with yourself and ask yourself, what do I genuinely not understand, what am I losing marks on? Write down those topics and do questions on PMT on them.
2. After you do those questions, mark them and all the ones you got wrong put them on a flashcard on quizlet or Anki, I would prefer Anki because it uses the principle of active recall meaning it works really well with memory.
3. Or, even better if you decide that you struggle with bonding. Go on every, single Edexcel paper and do the questions that have bonding on it and MEMORISE the mark scheme and understand what it is asking you and what you need to respond with some questions the markscheme is legit identical, the same explanation will always be used with explanations on why ionic bonding has a high boiling point or why Aluminium can conduct electricity.
4. I defo would invest in Chemsheets too up until exams they have tons od questions that better help you understand.
5. Dont waste your time watching a primrosekitten video shes useless, watch freesciencelessons on the topics you dont understand
6. Get your head around moles (mass = MR X mol)

Hope this helps, you'll do fine!

thank youuuuu this is really useful! appreciate it x
Original post by RedVelvet16
thank youuuuu this is really useful! appreciate it x

Anytime :smile: If there is a question you don't understand please don't hesitate to ask I'm more than happy to help I currently do Y13 A-level Chem!
Reply 4
try here, it has the gcse stuff and some questions as well
https://www.science-revision.co.uk/

Quick Reply

Latest