The Student Room Group

Research help (Politics)

I was given a task on researching about John Major to find out about his personality, successes/failures whilst in office and background knowledge of him to put into a power point slide and present to the class however I've been struggling to find this despite using multiple sources and the only thing I've seem to find is his privatisation of coal and railway industries

I'm struggling a little bit so is it possible for someone to help give me information about him to contribute to my existing knowledge of him or quote any sources which would be helpful and this would be much appreciated.
Wikipedia may be your friend here, there's probably stuff about his time in office.

Rail privatisation/franchising and the closures of coal mines I agree should be included. You may want to look at Norman Lamont's time as his chancellor for economic impacts. As for personality, his love of cricket (later became Surrey CCC president) and also of Chelsea FC could be mentioned. I think under his time as Prime Minister we had the start of what is now the Department for Culture, Media and Sport.
Original post by Hoosam
I was given a task on researching about John Major to find out about his personality, successes/failures whilst in office and background knowledge of him to put into a power point slide and present to the class however I've been struggling to find this despite using multiple sources and the only thing I've seem to find is his privatisation of coal and railway industries

I'm struggling a little bit so is it possible for someone to help give me information about him to contribute to my existing knowledge of him or quote any sources which would be helpful and this would be much appreciated.

Try Britain Since 1945, A Political History by David Childs. You can pick up some of the older used editions on amazon for a few quid. You may even be able to find a dodgy PDF on Google. Childs is one of the most well-respected and authoritative figures in British history. I've got the 7th edition and it carried me through!

Best of luck.

Quick Reply