a level psychology 12 marker strange situation

Watch this thread
asdfdsffg
Badges: 7
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
hey I've written a plan for a 12 marker and I was wondering if anyone here could give me feedback on it

any help or feedback would be really appreciatedddd

----------------------------
Discuss the Strange Situation as a way of assessing type of attachment (12 marks)

OUTLINE
- controlled, non-participant, covert observation with a structured design as it used behavioural categories
- sample was 100 American families with infants aged between 9-18 months
- identified 4 types of attachment - secure, insecure avoidant, insecure resistant
- measured 4 things in infant’s behaviour - exploration and use of mother as a safe base - separation anxiety - stranger anxiety - reunion behaviour
- created 8 3-min episodes including baby being encouraged to explore with mother in room, stranger arriving, mother leaving, mother returning, baby being left alone, stranger and baby together and the mother returning again
- concluded that secure attachment came from sensitive responsiveness from mother appropriately responding to infant’s needs

EVALUATE
strength
P - reliability
E - shows very good inter-rater reliability as Ainsworth found 94% agreement between observers on attachment classifications so different observers watching the same children generally agree on what attachment type to classify them as
E - this may be because the strange situation takes place under controlled conditions which included video recordings of the procedure and because the predetermined behavioral categories were easy to classify by several independent observers
L - this means that we can be confident that the attachment type of an infant identified in the strange situation does not just depend on who is observing them and therefore this makes the strange situation a highly reliable way of assessing type of attachment

weakness
P - culture bound
E - the procedure of the strange situation and the types of attachment found through it were developed in America so there may be limitations when using it on other cultures where children are treated differently
E - for example, Grossman and Grossman (1991) found that German children tend to be classified as insecurely attached, this may be because of the culture which encourages children to be independent
L - this suggests that the strange situation should only be used to measure attachment in western cultures and the method is therefore culturally bias/bound and lacks population validity, this means the strange situation is not a universal or international way of assessing type of attachment
Last edited by asdfdsffg; 5 months ago
Cherrymlk49
Badges: 9
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by asdfdsffg)
hey I've written a plan for a 12 marker and I was wondering if anyone here could give me feedback on it

any help or feedback would be really appreciatedddd

----------------------------
Discuss the Strange Situation as a way of assessing type of attachment (12 marks)

OUTLINE
- controlled, non-participant, covert observation with a structured design as it used behavioural categories
- sample was 100 American families with infants aged between 9-18 months
- identified 4 types of attachment - secure, insecure avoidant, insecure resistant
- measured 4 things in infant’s behaviour - exploration and use of mother as a safe base - separation anxiety - stranger anxiety - reunion behaviour
- created 8 3-min episodes including baby being encouraged to explore with mother in room, stranger arriving, mother leaving, mother returning, baby being left alone, stranger and baby together and the mother returning again
- concluded that secure attachment came from sensitive responsiveness from mother appropriately responding to infant’s needs

EVALUATE
strength
P - reliability
E - shows very good inter-rater reliability as Ainsworth found 94% agreement between observers on attachment classifications so different observers watching the same children generally agree on what attachment type to classify them as
E - this may be because the strange situation takes place under controlled conditions which included video recordings of the procedure and because the predetermined behavioral categories were easy to classify by several independent observers
L - this means that we can be confident that the attachment type of an infant identified in the strange situation does not just depend on who is observing them and therefore this makes the strange situation a highly reliable way of assessing type of attachment

weakness
P - culture bound
E - the procedure of the strange situation and the types of attachment found through it were developed in America so there may be limitations when using it on other cultures where children are treated differently
E - for example, Grossman and Grossman (1991) found that German children tend to be classified as insecurely attached, this may be because of the culture which encourages children to be independent
L - this suggests that the strange situation should only be used to measure attachment in western cultures and the method is therefore culturally bias/bound and lacks population validity, this means the strange situation is not a universal or international way of assessing type of attachment
Hi there,

Happy New year! To me, they look pretty good, and if you can add some critique in individual differences, such as the infant-mother relationship before the experiment, that may score more points? Sure, you'll ace it.:-)
asdfdsffg
Rep:
Happy New Year to you too!thank you so much for the help, i’ll be sure to add that in!
Cherrymlk49
Rep:
Report 5 months ago
Hi, asdfdsffg,

One critique worth mentioning if you talk about the cultural differences, you can add on environmental influence/manipulation. Such as the pros and cons of the "at-home" observation. While the "at-home" test can be used to overcome the diversity of culture, infants may/not react differently to strangers because parents may not behave as they normally would. Also, Attachment is a two-way process; both parent and child are influential to the quality of attachment. Therefore, parents' emotional availability could answer my last suggestion about individual differences. I hope this help and good luck ;-)

Cherry
asdfdsffg
Rep:
Hi Cherry,
Thank you so much for all your help.
I really appreciate it and I'll definitely add in what you have suggested
Cherrymlk49
Rep:
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by asdfdsffg)
Hi Cherry,
Thank you so much for all your help.
I really appreciate it and I'll definitely add in what you have suggested
Hiya, you're most welcome. Please double check and reference it, don't just take my words for it 😉😊x
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Year 12s - where are you at with making decisions about university?

I’ve chosen my course and my university (18)
31.03%
I’ve chosen my course and shortlisted some universities (22)
37.93%
I’ve chosen my course, but not any universities (2)
3.45%
I’ve chosen my university, but not my course (3)
5.17%
I’ve shortlisted some universities, but not my course (4)
6.9%
I’m starting to consider my university options (7)
12.07%
I haven’t started thinking about university yet (1)
1.72%
I’m not planning on going to university (1)
1.72%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed