I made the mistakes so you don't have to!

Watch
gjd800
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 weeks ago
I have never made an essay plan in my life, perhaps I should have.
Em395
Badges: 17
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 weeks ago
Don't accept a university's unconditional offer straightaway. Do some research into it to see if it really is the best university for that course.
teebslmao
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 2 weeks ago
Take your mocks seriously, cause you never know what could happen.

I used to be the person who’d say “well it’s not the real thing” to every mock I did bad in. Now I’m stuck with GCSEs that don’t reflect me (TAGs)

So make sure to actually work for mocks (but don’t overwork) !!
teebslmao
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 2 weeks ago
One more:

When going into a levels, you need to have good time management. Revise the content on the day you learn it to stay on track!
PinkMobilePhone
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 2 weeks ago
I wish I'd realised when I was younger that there's no correct order in which to live your life. It doesn't have to follow the regular linear path that your peers have taken. It doesn't have to follow the status quo. It doesn't even have to follow conventions.

You can have kids before you're married. Or you can get married first. Or have no kids at all. Or be a single parent. It's entirely up to you.
You can get a degree when you're in your 60s. Or 90s. Live first and get one later if you like. Or get one when you're young. The choice is yours.
You can home educate whilst travelling around the world. Or put your kids in school. You can be structured, or unstructured, or something in-between.
You can be in a relationship with more than one person at the same time (consensually of course). You can be single forever. You can have a traditional marriage. You can do whatever makes you happy.
You don't have to drive a car. Or maybe you want to, that's cool. How about a motorbike? A horse? A bike?
You can buy a house, or not, it's entirely up to you. Live in a caravan, a tree house, a tiny home, or just be rich enough to live in hotels.
You can dress in the most outlandish way you want to dress, it's your body, style it however you like, who the hell cares?

You are not more or less important than any other human being on this planet. Your choices do not have to be dictated by other people. You are living for yourself, not for somebody else.
Mesopotamian.
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by artful_lounger)
No Oxbridge dentistry?
PRSOM, you sussed me out
1secondsofvamps
Rep:
Report 2 weeks ago
Don't let anyone (especially your parents) manipulate you to study a course at a university you don't like.
I'm STILL suffering from the repercussions years later.
wifd149
Rep:
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by 1secondsofvamps)
Don't let anyone (especially your parents) manipulate you to study a course at a university you don't like.
You don't say

PRSOM
Last edited by wifd149; 2 weeks ago
Mesopotamian.
Rep:
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by summerbirdreads)
Tbh, I was crushed when I found out it's impossible to apply to both.
I didn’t even know that until a good couple of months into year 13. It’s probably for the best though; for most people, that’s like 2 guaranteed rejections, leaving you with only 3 possible options.
summerbirdreads
Rep:
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Mesopotamian.)
I didn’t even know that until a good couple of months into year 13. It’s probably for the best though; for most people, that’s like 2 guaranteed rejections, leaving you with only 3 possible options.
I think I found out about it from a YT video or something during lockdown.. tbh I didn't really care as I was not planning to apply back then.. I've only recently wanted to apply.
1secondsofvamps
Rep:
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by wifd149)
You don't say

PROSM
oh dear! sounds like you're currently in that position
wifd149
Rep:
Report 2 weeks ago
oh dear! sounds like you're currently in that position
I'm trying to make it work in my last year of undergrad :cry: After two years of bad results and an oversaturated legal market, yeah, everything gets scary. Both my parents still ask if I got any assignments underway, safe to say it's stressful let alone during exam season :afraid:
1secondsofvamps
Rep:
Report 2 weeks ago
I'm trying to make it work in my last year of undergrad :cry: After two years of bad results and an oversaturated legal market, yeah, everything gets scary. Both my parents still ask if I got any assignments underway, safe to say it's stressful let alone during exam season :afraid:
Don't give up. You've got this! :console:
wifd149
Rep:
Report 2 weeks ago
Don't give up. You've got this! :console:
Thank youuu :hugs: Can't rep again though huhuhu
AmIReallyHere
Rep:
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
i hope things get better for you guys! :console:

wifd149
Rep:
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by AmIReallyHere)
:heart: prom
Last edited by wifd149; 2 weeks ago
1secondsofvamps
Rep:
Report 2 weeks ago
well i've graduated now so i've just gotta accept it
Indililam1
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 2 weeks ago
I think, if there's anything I've learnt over the last few years, it's okay to fall apart and start again. It always sounds cliché when people say things like "every second is a new opportunity," but it really is:
Mental health dips and you have to take a year out of Sixth Form? Do it.
Overwhelmed with work and falling behind? Ask for help and get through things bit by bit.
Uni doesn't work out the way you thought it would? Take a gap year, defer, travel, change courses.
Things don't always go to plan, but, no matter what, you'll get to where you need to be, as long as you remember to keep going. After all, "You're braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, smarter than you think and loved more than you will ever know."
Hailey629
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by a.planet)
Basically, the way I made them was by breaking down the question asked. Usually in essay based subjects you can find practice questions from past papers that you use to revise.

I think of it like making a large mind map. First, I go through the extract or context (if there is one) and highlight key info, or write down ideas of what I could write about (based on the question) underneath the essay question.

Then I split my ideas into however many paragraphs I need to write for the essay.

From there I expand on each one of these ideas as though I would be writing the actual essay but instead as bullet points. Essentially bulleting the structure of what I'm going to say.

I did my GCSE finals last year and due to COVID we were given some extra ideas as to what our final questions would be (because aqa made a pack of exam questions on each set of books you were studying - I did Romeo and Juliet and An Inspector Calls as well as poetry). At the end of the day though, it's not so much about if you know what's coming up on the test, it's about being able to structure your ideas from your head and onto paper.

I practiced with several past paper questions relating to what I studied and when it came to the exams, this technique really helped me as I was more able to create a structure to what I was going to write instead of worrying about how I'd word everything.

Hopefully this helps...
Hiya thank you this has helped me as it sort of showed me how to break down things and think of it a bit more in depth
y_4hya
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 2 weeks ago
Since many of you on TSR are ol- experienced and wise :beard:
I'm curious, what's something that you wish you knew before doing something?

I'll start it off... mine is actually thinking Year 6 SATS mattered (I'm only 14, haven't done much)...
Only ones that matter that much is maths and science. Since that determines whether or not you'll do higher. (Grades 5-9) or foundation (Grades 1-4.) It also may affect what subjects you'll be allowed to do certain subjects though I'm not 100% sure about this. I doubt you'll be able to get into triple science if you're science score for the SAT was bad. Or further maths if your score for maths was bad.

The English ones were a complete waste of time as they don't use them, everyone gets the same boundaries.

So if you want to get high grades for math or science, but got poor in your SAT. Pray to be put into a higher set.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you ever considered or are you currently considering an apprenticeship?

Yes, I am actively considering an apprenticeship (73)
13.15%
I am actively considering an alternative to uni that isn't an apprenticeship (9)
1.62%
I have considered an apprenticeship but it's not for me (142)
25.59%
I am considering a degree apprenticeship (44)
7.93%
I haven't considered an apprenticeship (269)
48.47%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (18)
3.24%

Watched Threads