I made the mistakes so you don't have to!

Watch
rosy_posy
Badges: 18
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 weeks ago
Hobbies don't have to stay the same, they can change as your interests shift.
AmIReallyHere
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
(Original post by y_4hya)
Only ones that matter that much is maths and science. Since that determines whether or not you'll do higher. (Grades 5-9) or foundation (Grades 1-4.) It also may affect what subjects you'll be allowed to do certain subjects though I'm not 100% sure about this. I doubt you'll be able to get into triple science if you're science score for the SAT was bad. Or further maths if your score for maths was bad.

The English ones were a complete waste of time as they don't use them, everyone gets the same boundaries.

So if you want to get high grades for math or science, but got poor in your SAT. Pray to be put into a higher set.
This probably depends on the school

Keep in mind Science SATS are never done all the time, secondly schools would have more evidence once a student has been at their school from Year 7-9... SATS shouldn't be having that much of an effect after this...

I've never heard/seen people be denied a chance at a subject because of SATS-

I definitely understand what Muttley79 has said but for you to say schools place this much on SATS to the point where they will consider something that happened in Year 6 to evidence they have that they KNOW is reliable is really reaching... I highly doubt your sources of information are reliable but I would love to see them
Muttley79
Rep:
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by AmIReallyHere)

Keep in mind Science SATS are never done all the time, secondly schools would have more evidence once a student has been at their school from Year 7-9... SATS shouldn't be having that much of an effect after this...

I definitely understand what Muttley79 has said but for you to say schools place this much on SATS to the point where they will consider something that happened in Year 6 to evidence they have that they KNOW is reliable is really reaching... I highly doubt your sources of information are reliable but I would love to see them
KS2 Science tests haven't existed for years.

It's the Maths and English ones that feed into something called the FFT data [Fischer Family Trust] and this is ahred with schoos and used for target setting as well as what I said abive.
AmIReallyHere
Rep:
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Muttley79)
KS2 Science tests haven't existed for years.

It's the Maths and English ones that feed into something called the FFT data [Fischer Family Trust] and this is ahred with schoos and used for target setting as well as what I said abive.
I'm curious if the other post is correct though, do some schools/ would you ever consider (as a Maths teacher) not allowing someone to do Further Maths (I know you don't agree with it anyway but just hypothetically) or Higher Maths based on their SATS score?
Muttley79
Rep:
Report 2 weeks ago
I'm curious if the other post is correct though, do some schools/ would you ever consider (as a Maths teacher) not allowing someone to do Further Maths (I know you don't agree with it anyway but just hypothetically) or Higher Maths based on their SATS score?
No - the KS2 tests are used for target setting not predictions or any other decisions.
y_4hya
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 2 weeks ago

Happened at my school. I was told that my predicted grades that were initially based on our SATs determined whether or not we got into higher or foundation, and yes, you could change them. But they weren't 100% useless.
Tsrloverrr
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 2 weeks ago
why everything here is about academics😭😭😭😭
Queenbee1323
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 2 weeks ago
One thread, I have actually enjoyed reading. Thanks guys
some.student123
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
This is a bit cliché, but always eliminate negative thoughts/ talking. Sometimes it seems rational to think pessimistically if you actually aren’t doing well for your standards (at sch, anywhere) but it doesn’t help you in any way. Just think of solutions to get back on track ASAP. I only say that bc I feel like everything negative I said 5 years ago has become a self-fulfilled prophecy. I’m not saying that will happen to you too, but at the very least negative thinking is a waste of time and makes you suffer for no good reason.
Last edited by some.student123; 1 week ago
Exodecai
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
I haven't been back here properly since around 2018 but some lessons from my mistakes since 2014 are these.. it's likely some of these are obvious. PS sorry for italicing so much :angelblush:

- Good apprenticeships in science do exist as alternatives to classic university study.

- Critical thinking is a useful skill to determine the motivations or blind spots of a person's perspective.

- The advice that your parents give on what course and/or career suits you becomes much less accurate as the amount of time you live away from them increases, because you gain better knowledge about oneself (positives, weaknesses, preferred way of life, etc.) and they no longer "witness" these inner transformations happening. However, keep in mind it's likely that you know yourself the best at all times of your life when they are giving advice.

- It's OK to enjoy using skills or to entertain ideas of job titles which other people consider 'boring'. Nobody is the same and looking at a track record of activities you do voluntarily can be useful for deducing what career could suit you, by looking at the core skills or software knowledge that is needed for particular roles.

- Stumbling into doing a PhD without at least two or three "non-academic" careers in mind is a very bad idea, especially if it's one without opportunity for a secondary experience (e.g. a short industrial placement).

- If you want to quit after the first year of your PhD then you really should, unless you are committed to changing your circumstances in a way that changes your mindset. The mindset that one has during a PhD is very influential on performance and negative thoughts can become a self-fulfilling prophecy in such settings (like the previous poster suggested).
CosmicApathy1
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
Don't be a ****ing idiot at school.
Parinoor
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
your end of yr12 mock grade and the beginning of yr13 mock grade matters because otherwise my UCAS predicted would be A*AB instead on ABC, plz listen!!

i unfortunately had to resit AS further maths (got a B) and it disrupted my yr 13 grade and teacher dont care what u say.. i couldve gotten better uni offers anyways
rosy_posy
Rep:
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by some.student123)
This is a bit cliché, but always eliminate negative thoughts/ talking. Sometimes it seems rational to think pessimistically if you actually aren’t doing well for your standards (at sch, anywhere) but it doesn’t help you in any way. Just think of solutions to get back on track ASAP. I only say that bc I feel like everything negative I said 5 years ago has become a self-fulfilled prophecy. I’m not saying that will happen to you too, but at the very least negative thinking is a waste of time and makes you suffer for no good reason.
Negative thoughts are okay to have at times, it's part of being human.
ThyNDS
Badges: 4
Rep:
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by Mesopotamian.)
I made the mistake of assuming every university offered every subject at degree level. I was hugely disappointed come May/June of year 12 when I found out that the universities I wanted to apply to did not in fact offer the degree I wanted to do.
which degree?
0ptics
Badges: 19
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by Tsrloverrr)
why everything here is about academics😭😭😭😭
My thoughts exactly. When I read this thread, I thought it would be more applicable to life and the sorts. Or at the very least a stupid and witty mistake. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not exactly mad that these are about academics because some good and robust points are being raised but this pattern really encapsulates TSR as a whole, doesn’t it?
AmIReallyHere
Rep:
Report Thread starter 5 days ago
(Original post by ThyNDS)
which degree?
Dentistry
y_4hya
Rep:
Report 3 days ago
(Original post by 0ptics)
My thoughts exactly. When I read this thread, I thought it would be more applicable to life and the sorts. Or at the very least a stupid and witty mistake. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not exactly mad that these are about academics because some good and robust points are being raised but this pattern really encapsulates TSR as a whole, doesn’t it?
It's called the student room for a reason isn't it, also, people might not want to talk about their personal life and shortcomings on here.
0ptics
Badges: 19
Report 3 days ago
(Original post by y_4hya)
It's called the student room for a reason isn't it, also, people might not want to talk about their personal life and shortcomings on here.
True, true. Also, you can give a non-academic related answer to this thread that isn’t personal. But, I can see why it’s mainly academics. Once again, I’m not complaining.
y_4hya
Rep:
Report 3 days ago
(Original post by 0ptics)
True, true. Also, you can give a non-academic related answer to this thread that isn’t personal. But, I can see why it’s mainly academics. Once again, I’m not complaining.
tbh
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you ever considered or are you currently considering an apprenticeship?

Yes, I am actively considering an apprenticeship (51)
12.23%
I am actively considering an alternative to uni that isn't an apprenticeship (8)
1.92%
I have considered an apprenticeship but it's not for me (106)
25.42%
I am considering a degree apprenticeship (38)
9.11%
I haven't considered an apprenticeship (199)
47.72%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (15)
3.6%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise