The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

What for, services to war crimes? 🤔
Original post by caravaggio2
What for, services to war crimes? 🤔

Making the world a less safe, more unstable place isn't easy work, you know.
Original post by TCA2b

Yes its a talent. Not everyone's got it.🙄
Reply 4

I love how everyone thinks war crimes when Tony Blair is mentioned, but he was still pm after the war. Fact of the matter is that while the war is a stain on his record he made some of the greatest constitutional changes to the uk in history and planned more but was stopped by the opposition. So when the same people that want greater devolution in the uk and call him a war criminal they’re forgetting what he did for uk devolution. Not just devolution but social welfare too.

The introduction of university fees though is an annoyance but understandable.
Fantastic news. :laugh:
I assume it is for services to the Labour Party & TUC, education-education-education, the special relationship with the usa and british politics in general. :cool:
It's too bad that there's no knighthood for POTUS 45, maybe next year. :rofl:
Original post by brjf
I love how everyone thinks war crimes when Tony Blair is mentioned, but he was still pm after the war. Fact of the matter is that while the war is a stain on his record he made some of the greatest constitutional changes to the uk in history and planned more but was stopped by the opposition. So when the same people that want greater devolution in the uk and call him a war criminal they’re forgetting what he did for uk devolution. Not just devolution but social welfare too.

I mean Hitler also made some great changes for Germany too 😂
It made my New Year's Eve if nothing else because it annoyed all the right people :rofl:
Reply 8
Original post by tazarooni89
I mean Hitler also made some great changes for Germany too 😂

You took the low ground and compared Tony Blair to Hitler, well done! Give yourself a pat on the back hope you feel better about yourself.
Original post by brjf

I hope his political mother, Thatcher received a Knighthood to. I’d suggest making that argument to the people of Afghanistan or alternatively to members of the BLM movement (they are quite happy to go around vandalising statues of individuals who wouldn’t have been considered to be morally wrong by the mainstream of their time).
Devolution hasn’t been a good thing, look at the state of Scotland’s education system for example, it sowed the seeds for ever greater division.
The university fees system is moronic, I don’t necessarily think that university should be free but just look at how much the current student loans system costs the government, it might as well be.
I could go along with your argument if the man had got in to a pub brawl or had accrued one too many speeding tickets etcetra.
Reply 10
Original post by Cancelled Alice
I hope his political mother, Thatcher received a Knighthood to. I’d suggest making that argument to the people of Afghanistan or alternatively to members of the BLM movement (they are quite happy to go around vandalising statues of individuals who wouldn’t have been considered to be morally wrong by the mainstream of their time).
Devolution hasn’t been a good thing, look at the state of Scotland’s education system for example, it sowed the seeds for ever greater division.
The university fees system is moronic, I don’t necessarily think that university should be free but just look at how much the current student loans system costs the government, it might as well be.
I could go along with your argument if the man had got in to a pub brawl or had accrued one too many speeding tickets etcetra.

I was trying to sympathise, I don’t really like him either
Original post by brjf
You took the low ground and compared Tony Blair to Hitler, well done! Give yourself a pat on the back hope you feel better about yourself.

Oh it's not a big deal, when someone kills hordes of innocent people the comparison really makes itself.

Besides you seem to quite familiar with the low ground yourself, responding to a point with a condescending comment rather than anything of substance.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 12
Sword should be taking his head on a block not touching his shoulder -.-
Reply 13
I mean, I imagine he's just taken up what was always implicitly on offer.

Of course Tony Blair should get a knighthood. I am not a Labour supporter, but he was one of the most significant Prime Ministers of the last half-century.
Meh, Obama won a Peace Prize while pursuing an unwinnable war. These baubles rarely have much logic or decency to them.
Whilst I would not have wanted him to have one, he would be somewhere down the list of people I would not have wanted to have one. Sir Iain Duncan Smith for example, whose welfare reforms were nasty, vindictive, and have been thought to have caused many suicides.
Obama got a noble peace prize, Tony Blair got a knighthood, feel bad that Bush is being left out despite being the mastermind
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 17
Original post by Cancelled Alice
I hope his political mother, Thatcher received a Knighthood to.

She did......??

Also, I think you meant 'too' - am I right?
Reply 18
Original post by TCA2b

What was the counterfactual?

Like if Blair hadn't invaded Kosovo, then what?
It's a shame how it's become so popular to hate Tony Blair. Since leaving office his reputation has been gutted in a way likened to Bill Clinton - the name is pure toxic.

I understand why people have reservations about him. The war in the Middle East - whether justified or not - was shambolic and so poorly executed. But it's unfortunate how people forget the way Blair transformed British politics. I'm not old enough to remember it but I've no doubt that anyone who is will be able to tell you about how significant '97 was in permanently changing the political landscape.

He occupies this bizarre middle ground that unifies the left & right. Those on the right despise him because he played them for fools and robbed them of their own political base; those on the left despise his centrism and Tory-lite agenda. The reality is that Blair was the most progressive and forward thinking leader we've had in decades.

There is plenty to be proud of from his time in office. Devolution, constitutional reform, public sector investment, Human Rights Act, National Minimum Wage, 500,000 kids lifted out of poverty, tax cuts - the list is endless.
(edited 2 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending