Is it bad to listen to music while revising

Watch
imweird
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
I like to listen to music while revising but I've heard a lot of people say it's bad because it doesn't help you concentrate (or something on the lines of that) but I also heard it helps you remember stuff better so will someone help

gjd800
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 weeks ago
Some people can't manage to keep concentration, particularly if there are lyrics in the music.

I always have music playing while I work and have done for as long as I can remember, so for me it's fine

If it works for you, then it's fine.
_Robyn_
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by imweird)
I like to listen to music while revising but I've heard a lot of people say it's bad because it doesn't help you concentrate (or something on the lines of that) but I also heard it helps you remember stuff better so will someone help
I mean I always end up singing along and accidentally write the lyrics instead of my work so. But if you can actually concentrate then sure that's fine
CaptainDuckie
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 2 weeks ago
I always listened to Lo-Fi on some days, I found it relaxing and it actually increased my productivity. It’s like an instrumental, a track with no lyrics, just a soothing beat. With it on, it also feels like you’re not alone, and it’s just vibes... I guess. I haven’t seen any studies that say this type of music is bad to listen to whilst studying, however I have seen that music with lyrics can be distracting.
ReviseSleeping
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 2 weeks ago
No, I wouldn’t say it’s bad. I do it all the time. I find listening to music helps me to concentrate.
imweird
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
(Original post by CaptainDuckie)
I always listened to Lo-Fi on some days, I found it relaxing and it actually increased my productivity. It’s like an instrumental, a track with no lyrics, just a soothing beat. With it on, it also feels like you’re not alone, and it’s just vibes... I guess. I haven’t seen any studies that say this type of music is bad to listen to whilst studying, however I have seen that music with lyrics can be distracting.
i think this is a good idea I'll try music with no lyrics thanks for your help everybody
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What is your favourite revision method?

Taking notes manually (21)
22.58%
Note taking apps (3)
3.23%
Flashcards (14)
15.05%
Revision guides (3)
3.23%
Past papers (47)
50.54%
Something else (let us know in the thread) (5)
5.38%

Watched Threads