Need help from A* A level bio students

Watch this thread
2939HIHI
Badges: 14
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
I take biology a level and like I don't know what I am doing wrong. I revise so much by the textbook, do practice question and I still get a U grade. Can someone please suggest me any tips for getting A*
Badges: 11
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 months ago
Hey, i got a grade A last year and here is some of the stuff i did:

- use practice questions to make flashcards eg. On one side it will be like 'describe the process of translation 6 marks' and on the other side it would have a the answer from the markscheme in bullet points. The key to bio is learning the mark scheme so do this for all knowledge questions such as describe the process and stuff like that.
use the Leitner system

- I used seneca, meaning a week after learning a topic i would do the seneca on that topic to help my recall.

- Use time interval revision. So revisit each topic after 1 day, 1 week then 2 week so on. Don't do the entire topic but only the stuff you struggle with. This is the same as the Leitner system

- watch videos in youtube, i am a visual learner and my teacher would sit us all down with a diagram of a process and talk us through it all until we all got it. so maybe a youtube video to show the breathing process or synaptic transmission could help cuz the diagrams in the book can get complicated cuz all the labels appear in one go.
booklover1313
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by 2939HIHI)
I take biology a level and like I don't know what I am doing wrong. I revise so much by the textbook, do practice question and I still get a U grade. Can someone please suggest me any tips for getting A*
When you revise the textbook, are you just reading & copying out, or do you understand it?
Mesopotamian.
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
You seem to have a similar issue with chemistry.
If you’re truly revising and practising as much as you say, then you’re obviously lacking in exam technique where biology is concerned.
Will_Armo
Badges: 7
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by 2939HIHI)
If you're getting U's its probably not wise to assume you'll bag out an A* any time soon, so don't be disappointed if you don't get top end grades right now. Revising Biology is not just about understanding single topics, it's all well and good knowing that chlorophyll is in a plant's chloroplast - but they're never going to ask you that. Instead understand how things work and intertwine, where is chlorophyll, what does it do, why is it doing it, what will happen if it doesn't do it, why is this bad.... expand.

Revision technique that works best for me is blurting. Get lots of paper, and draw out the Krebs cycle, or photosynthesis, or muscle contraction (whatever you need to learn) - then check it once you're done. If you got it wrong, do it until you get it right - then try again in a few days or so.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your Edexcel A-level Economics Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (39)
15.48%
The paper was reasonable (127)
50.4%
Not feeling great about that exam... (63)
25%
It was TERRIBLE (23)
9.13%

Watched Threads