The Student Room Group

Church leader saying outcomes are uncertain

I left a church more than a year ago. They weren't preaching the word of God but ways of the World.

The Church leader said outcomes are uncertain which wasn't nice. I joined other churches where I hear the word well.

What would this leader be thinking? He didn't sort out any issues with his church or walking wounded.

Other leaders talked about their life rather than the word too.

So what would this leader be thinking?
Reply 1
not really sure i fully understand your op but might i ask what 'ways of the world' your old church was teaching? just curious

what do you mean the church leader said outcomes are uncertain; like what outcomes are uncertain?

what issues in the church was your pastor not addressing? not all churches are created equal and not all leaders are qualify. indeed they range from very inspirational and well organised to pure corruption.

the conservative Christian church i grew up in had to shut down because of poor leadership. like by its dimise it had lost most of its congregation cuz its followers were looking for more than just a message of guilt and condemnation (you're going to hell, repent :angry: gets old after a while). leadership refused to change its approach tho cuz they'd been doing it for so long that's all they knew. perhaps your ex leader just doesn't know how to change or is being stubborn or is giving the majority what they want but just not you?

sharing your life with other church members is therapeutic, creates a sense of community where you encourage and pray for one another, the feeling of relatability and is important for transparency. personally want to hear my pastor specifically talk about their struggles so i know them better and therefore can trust them. you not into that as much, which is fine. just sayin that's why other church member enjoy that :redface:

ps Jesus used parables all the time to teach the word of God. speaking about your life is just another way of telling a story similar to a parable; the difference is just it isn't hypothetical.
Reply 2
Original post by Joleee
not really sure i fully understand your op but might i ask what 'ways of the world' your old church was teaching? just curious

what do you mean the church leader said outcomes are uncertain; like what outcomes are uncertain?

what issues in the church was your pastor not addressing? not all churches are created equal and not all leaders are qualify. indeed they range from very inspirational and well organised to pure corruption.

the conservative Christian church i grew up in had to shut down because of poor leadership. like by its dimise it had lost most of its congregation cuz its followers were looking for more than just a message of guilt and condemnation (you're going to hell, repent :angry: gets old after a while). leadership refused to change its approach tho cuz they'd been doing it for so long that's all they knew. perhaps your ex leader just doesn't know how to change or is being stubborn or is giving the majority what they want but just not you?

sharing your life with other church members is therapeutic, creates a sense of community where you encourage and pray for one another, the feeling of relatability and is important for transparency. personally want to hear my pastor specifically talk about their struggles so i know them better and therefore can trust them. you not into that as much, which is fine. just sayin that's why other church member enjoy that :redface:

ps Jesus used parables all the time to teach the word of God. speaking about your life is just another way of telling a story similar to a parable; the difference is just it isn't hypothetical.

I didn't quite understand what he meant but family pointed out he isn't preaching the main message of the Bible but promoting ways of the World.

Worldly vs Godly

I didn't remember what else he said clearly but outcomes are uncertain, I didn't quite get. There is a lot of broken people in that church who never heal.
Reply 3
Original post by JVM2020
I didn't quite understand what he meant but family pointed out he isn't preaching the main message of the Bible but promoting ways of the World.

Worldly vs Godly

I didn't remember what else he said clearly but outcomes are uncertain, I didn't quite get. There is a lot of broken people in that church who never heal.

sorry, my dude. wouldn't know what he meant by 'outcomes are uncertain' either unless there was more context. not enough information atm :redface:

i mean the main message of the Bible is the message of salvation through Jesus Christ and being saved by grace as opposed to 'doing good' (cuz impossible to impress the creator of the flippin universe :nah: lol what could you possibly do). dunno if that's what the criticism was about?

well i'm glad you found a church that feeds you and sorry to hear about all the broken members at your old church. tbqh tho it isn't uncommon for members to feel broken by church and that's exactly the reason why members leave.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Joleee

Seconded, although personally I would get a bit bored if the majority of the sermon consisted of the preacher talking about his/ her life
Reply 5
Original post by Smeraldettoi
Seconded, although personally I would get a bit bored if the majority of the sermon consisted of the preacher talking about his/ her life

:five:

yaassss of course!!! tbh i do like a variety of preaching styles from hard-hitting old school Baptist preachers to other more modern 'talking about life' stuff; depends what i need spiritually atm. yeah it's about striking a balance tho generally i agree (don't know if you know who Dharius Daniels is but he's a good one to listen to; he's a theologian who graduated from Harvard and knows his Bible stuff. well worth the google search).
Original post by Joleee
:five:

yaassss of course!!! tbh i do like a variety of preaching styles from hard-hitting old school Baptist preachers to other more modern 'talking about life' stuff; depends what i need spiritually atm. yeah it's about striking a balance tho generally i agree (don't know if you know who Dharius Daniels is but he's a good one to listen to; he's a theologian who graduated from Harvard and knows his Bible stuff. well worth the google search).

Cheers, I’ll check him out! The more they go into the original language the better imho
Reply 7
There are many good preachers to find on YouTube.

There was even a single unmarried man preaching.
Original post by JVM2020
There are many good preachers to find on YouTube.

There was even a single unmarried man preaching.

Have you stopped attending church I take it?
Original post by JVM2020
They weren't preaching the word of God but ways of the World.

Out of interest what do you consider to be the "word of God"?

The literal words in the Bible? All of it? Or just parts? OT or NT?

Or someone's personal interpretation of the Bible texts? If so whose?

Or the understanding of Bible allegorical tales rather than literal translations?
Reply 10
Have you stopped attending church I take it?

No. I continue to worship.
Original post by JVM2020
No. I continue to worship.

Fair enough; it’s the best way

What denomination do you identify as, if any?
Reply 12
Fair enough; it’s the best way

What denomination do you identify as, if any?

Pentecostal but do love Anglican church too
Original post by JVM2020
Pentecostal but do love Anglican church too

AOG?

Quick Reply