The Student Room Group

Best unis for history besides Oxbridge?

Hi, I’m an American looking to go to school in the UK for history, but when I look up which schools are the best/most prestigious, I get completely different results on each website. Obviously oxbridge are pretty consistently the top ones, but the ones below it seem to change a lot. Thanks to anyone who help.
Camford
It might be better to ask what type of history you're interested in e.g. Medieval, ancient, military, etc.
Original post by vladimir88055
Hi, I’m an American looking to go to school in the UK for history, but when I look up which schools are the best/most prestigious, I get completely different results on each website. Obviously oxbridge are pretty consistently the top ones, but the ones below it seem to change a lot. Thanks to anyone who help.

If your looking at league tables they are pointless. They all measure different things. The international tables tend to favour older universities in larger cities. Durham has a really good reputation for History and Exeter as well.
Generally, Durham, UCL and York came to my mind.
If you are interested in economic history or IR history, LSE, St Andrews and KCL would do as well.
Original post by mackers_ire
It might be better to ask what type of history you're interested in e.g. Medieval, ancient, military, etc.

What I am considering doing is to apply for general history programs for undergrad and then specializing into one time period for graduate school. I do already know that European and Middle Eastern history are my favorites and what I’m best at, but past that I haven’t been able to specify anything further.

Edit: I forgot to mention that I like art history and religious history the most, but I’m a bit worried about boxing myself into just a few career options if I just apply to programs specific to those two.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by swanseajack1
If your looking at league tables they are pointless. They all measure different things. The international tables tend to favour older universities in larger cities. Durham has a really good reputation for History and Exeter as well.

Thanks for the suggestions. I’ve looked into Durham before, but not Exeter at all so that’s def something I should do. :smile:
Original post by VigoWilliam
Generally, Durham, UCL and York came to my mind.
If you are interested in economic history or IR history, LSE, St Andrews and KCL would do as well.

Thanks for replying. I’ve seen all of those schools come up in my research a lot, so glad to hear that I’m on the right path.
Thanks for the suggestions. I’ve looked into Durham before, but not Exeter at all so that’s def something I should do. :smile:

Durham is also on the Common App so you can apply to it outside of UCAS and Exeter has a really generous admissions criteria if you have a high ACT score. Durham also has a big sports scene, if you're interested.
What I am considering doing is to apply for general history programs for undergrad and then specializing into one time period for graduate school. I do already know that European and Middle Eastern history are my favorites and what I’m best at, but past that I haven’t been able to specify anything further.

Edit: I forgot to mention that I like art history and religious history the most, but I’m a bit worried about boxing myself into just a few career options if I just apply to programs specific to those two.

SOAS, Manchester, Leeds, Exeter, and Edinburgh would be other options if you want some Middle Eastern options

Quick Reply