The Student Room Group

Living In A Student House w/o Student Status

I'm thinking about dropping out before my second year of university but I have a few friends who I was hoping to stay with during the second year.

These friends will all still be students so will be looking for student housing for the next year.

Does anyone know what the rules are around staying in a student house w/o having student status? Will it depend on the landlord or are they not likely to allow this?
Some houses are student only. And you will have to pay council tax
Original post by maskedancers
I'm thinking about dropping out before my second year of university but I have a few friends who I was hoping to stay with during the second year.

These friends will all still be students so will be looking for student housing for the next year.

Does anyone know what the rules are around staying in a student house w/o having student status? Will it depend on the landlord or are they not likely to allow this?

If it's just a house with a landlord, there won't be legal issues (though the landlord may say no). However, you and only you will be liable for the council tax on what's presumably a relatively large house if multiple friends will be living there. (There will be a small amount of rebate if you're the only non-student living there, but you'll still be paying I think it's 75%).

If your landlord will be the university, even part time students are probably banned completely - they tend to have arrangements with the local council that they will have nobody in their accommodation who is even possibly going to be liable for council tax so that everyone doesn't have to fill in exemption forms (and so that one person doesn't end up liable for the council tax on a 200 room building).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending