B8097343
Badges: 1
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Hi guys.

I’m currently in my first year studying primary education. I’m enjoying the academic side of things, but when it comes to placement it’s an absolute nightmare. I have panic attacks the night before placement days, and the days themselves are only once a fortnight, so I don’t feel that I have a close relationship with the school or students. My training centr have done very little to help, and don’t feel very friendly or like they’d be supportive if I told them that I was struggling.

I have depression and anxiety (known to the university), and I feel that this is really impacting my ability to cope. I want to teach, but perhaps now isn’t the right time for me.

I’ve also come to the conclusion that maybe secondary is more for me?

Does anyone know if it’s a possibility (based on the circumstances) that I’d be able to complete my assignments for this year (and not placements) and transfer to a different course for next year, rather than dropping out completely.

It may sound cowardly for me to want to quit but I love uni, just not this part of it!

Any advice appreciated plz!!!!
Coventry University Student Ambassadors
Badges: 15
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by B8097343)
Hi guys.

I’m currently in my first year studying primary education. I’m enjoying the academic side of things, but when it comes to placement it’s an absolute nightmare. I have panic attacks the night before placement days, and the days themselves are only once a fortnight, so I don’t feel that I have a close relationship with the school or students. My training centr have done very little to help, and don’t feel very friendly or like they’d be supportive if I told them that I was struggling.

I have depression and anxiety (known to the university), and I feel that this is really impacting my ability to cope. I want to teach, but perhaps now isn’t the right time for me.

I’ve also come to the conclusion that maybe secondary is more for me?

Does anyone know if it’s a possibility (based on the circumstances) that I’d be able to complete my assignments for this year (and not placements) and transfer to a different course for next year, rather than dropping out completely.

It may sound cowardly for me to want to quit but I love uni, just not this part of it!

Any advice appreciated plz!!!!
Hi there,

Sorry to hear how you're feeling as it's definitely not a position you want to be in when having to go into a classroom (and not cowardly at all). All university providers and training centres operate differently so the best thing to do is to speak to them directly and discuss your options. For example, on my degree, we cannot pass our module until the required number of placement hours have been completed so unsure if this would be the same for you.

You mentioned that you don't feel like you have a close relationship with the school/students - I know this would be more work and you know yourself how this would impact your anxiety, but would it be possible to volunteer in the school. Even completing an afternoon a week would allow you to become more familiar with the setting, teachers, pupils etc. and may help calm any nerves you are having. Also, if you did want to be a teacher (primary or secondary), volunteer experience always goes a long way on your application!

Please let me know if you have any further questions for a fellow primary education student - Mel
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you ever considered or are you currently considering an apprenticeship?

Yes, I am actively considering an apprenticeship (56)
12.33%
I am actively considering an alternative to uni that isn't an apprenticeship (8)
1.76%
I have considered an apprenticeship but it's not for me (122)
26.87%
I am considering a degree apprenticeship (41)
9.03%
I haven't considered an apprenticeship (212)
46.7%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (15)
3.3%

Watched Threads