Dont understand chemistry a level at all completely failing

Watch
Chi2020
Badges: 15
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Hi I’m in year 13 and I don’t understand chemistry a level at all , year 12 i alright ish not bad got average grades I was alright with I have some home problems and mental issue too I’m dealing with so I was satisfied with a C but in year 13 I’m completely failing I’m getting U and E it’s horrible , I can’t keep up and I don’t understand . I need at least a B for one of my uni offers that I want to firm . does anyone have any advise ? Is it too late since exams start in June for me (all my chemistry ) I’m worried and stressing :/

Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Chi2020)
Hi I’m in year 13 and I don’t understand chemistry a level at all , year 12 i alright ish not bad got average grades I was alright with I have some home problems and mental issue too I’m dealing with so I was satisfied with a C but in year 13 I’m completely failing I’m getting U and E it’s horrible , I can’t keep up and I don’t understand . I need at least a B for one of my uni offers that I want to firm . does anyone have any advise ? Is it too late since exams start in June for me (all my chemistry ) I’m worried and stressing :/
Five months is a lot of time during which you can work to improve your attainment. If you're getting ungraded results now, I suggest you speak to your teachers pronto when you go back, so you can put some sort of plan in place - you clearly need some more targeted help if you want to get a good grade in the summer.
Michael Ndulor
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report 3 weeks ago
Hi chi2020. I’d like to start of with saying that I’m actually proud of you. Being able to cope with the issues in your personal life while still getting a pass grade is a very hard thing to do.
While it’s good to be trying your best in everything despite the challenges life throws at you, getting the grades in the end is the main goal, so let me tell your how I myself was able to transition from consistent C’s in every class mock to a predicted A* in the year 12 end of year exams.

Considering your case:
Exams are in June leaving you with 5 whole months plus some weeks on June. These 5 months I’d say revise strategically. Create a foundation and then build upon them, such as 1.5-2 months revising year 12 content with another 1.5-2 months with year 13. Leaving a 1 month spare.

The first 1.5-2 months on year 12 content should be spent not only learning from the books but also doing past paper questions to gain exams techniques. This could be something like doing a topic and then completing a past paper in that topic after you finished it to consolidate your understanding. The next few months should be the same for year 13 content too.
The last month that’s spare is for the sole propose of past paper questions. Completing end of topic tests and then whole exam papers to get used to timing and develop exam techniques. This will make the exam feel like a breeze.
This is the type of structure I would be using if I was in your shoes.
Michael Ndulor
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Michael Ndulor)
Hi chi2020. I’d like to start of with saying that I’m actually proud of you. Being able to cope with the issues in your personal life while still getting a pass grade is a very hard thing to do.
While it’s good to be trying your best in everything despite the challenges life throws at you, getting the grades in the end is the main goal, so let me tell your how I myself was able to transition from consistent C’s in every class mock to a predicted A* in the year 12 end of year exams.

Considering your case:
Exams are in June leaving you with 5 whole months plus some weeks on June. These 5 months I’d say revise strategically. Create a foundation and then build upon them, such as 1.5-2 months revising year 12 content with another 1.5-2 months with year 13. Leaving a 1 month spare.

The first 1.5-2 months on year 12 content should be spent not only learning from the books but also doing past paper questions to gain exams techniques. This could be something like doing a topic and then completing a past paper in that topic after you finished it to consolidate your understanding. The next few months should be the same for year 13 content too.
The last month that’s spare is for the sole propose of past paper questions. Completing end of topic tests and then whole exam papers to get used to timing and develop exam techniques. This will make the exam feel like a breeze.
This is the type of structure I would be using if I was in your shoes.
As for the resources I use to revise:

- Eliot rintoul (pfp of the Letter E in blue background)
(YouTuber that really helped me out with year 12 content)

- Allery Chemistry (pfp of a bald man in green background)
(another great YouTuber. I now use him as a source of quick revision to look over year 12 topics again)

- The Organic Chemistry Tutor (pfp of RG)
(for the maths side of chem I use him for difficult calculations)

- physics and maths tutor website

(To practise past papers and end of topic tests. They also had a section called detailed notes where you can get condensed condensed information)

- a-levelchemistry.co.uk
( learn about info in more depth)

- apps like Quizlet for flash cards is what I use
- revision techniques etc try something called the promodo technique
- most importantly ask your teachers for help on anything part you’re not sure about, or if you got a question wrong understand why you got it wrong and learn from it.

With all that combined this should raise your grades up to at least a B. It’s not going to be easy though, I can tell you that. But it’s important to revise with discipline, not motivation. No matter how you feel, even if you can’t be bothered or you don’t feel energetic enough, try to continue revising at set intervals everyday if possible. But dont over do it to avoid burnout !!!
Wish you all the best in the future.
lotus9765
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Chi2020)
I’m literally in the same position right now, I got mocks coming up in two weeks and I mentally can’t get myself to start which has affected me negatively and I know that I won’t do well in these mocks. It’s like I’m aware on how to revise I just don’t know where to start. Everything started going downhill in year 12 for me and my mental health went downhill really bad and quickly and since then haven’t been able to pick up myself put myself back together. My predicted is AAB but all my offers are ABB . I think I can get an A in geography but I need a B in chem which I’m not working at right now. I hope stuff gets better for you and if you want please pm if you want to talk about anything else. It’s not fun feeling like this and it’s really difficult to put yourself back together which I’m trying to do.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

When did you submit your Ucas application if you applied to go to university this year?

September 2021 (16)
6.96%
October 2021 (112)
48.7%
November 2021 (23)
10%
December 2021 (31)
13.48%
January 2021 (20)
8.7%
I still haven't submitted it yet! (22)
9.57%