I have no talent, skills, passions, or anything I'm interested in. What should I do?

Watch
scr4ppy
Badges: 5
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
there's literally nothing im good at im not exaggerating. i don't love my subjects or anything, I don't have any interests. people are talking about uni and I don't even have a field of interest I want to look at. what should I do in the future?

in yr 12 so it's not like I have too much time to make up my mind.
Ivyreign
Badges: 17
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 weeks ago
Totally normal I sort of felt the same. I did have lots of hobbies etc but subject wise not a clue didn’t know what I wanted to do at all. Currently do law at uni and I want to enter the detective program all because of literally TV shows like law and order and criminal minds. Does nothing interest you at all? There must be something?
gjd800
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 2 weeks ago
just go get a job
heccyeah
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by scr4ppy)
there's literally nothing im good at im not exaggerating. i don't love my subjects or anything, I don't have any interests. people are talking about uni and I don't even have a field of interest I want to look at. what should I do in the future?

If you're considering uni (though ofc that's not your only option), you could try looking at the modules / descriptions for just random courses you think could potentially be at all interesting to you, read through them, and see if there are any that particularly excite / interest you.
Last edited by heccyeah; 2 weeks ago
David888
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report 2 weeks ago
Maybe search for a book that you actually like and read it for pleasure. If you want to change your outlook you have to start somewhere, it’s not like flipping a switch. I also like gjd’s job idea. Good luck!
Last edited by David888; 2 weeks ago
skylark2
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 2 weeks ago
Only half of people go to university. Sounds like you're in the other half. Nothing wrong with that. You can always go later on in life if you discover something that you want to study at a higher level.
harrysbar
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 2 weeks ago

Not many people do genuinely "love" their subjects at school - that is just a phrase overused on UCAS forms along with "passion".

What most people do (if they want to go to uni) is think about which subjects they are best at and enjoy the most and that is their starting point
scr4ppy
Badges: 5
Rep:
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by gjd800)
just go get a job
already have a part time but dont wanna work at mc donalds for the rest of my life innit
londonmyst
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
What are your future ambitions?
What do you want to have achieved within the next 10-15 years?
blueham1
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 6 days ago
i was in LITERALLY the same boat as you last year, im in year 13 and still wouldn't say i have "interests, hobbies, talent, skills". And because I was busy (how busy is yr12 for you rn? heavy workload or just enough to have a good amount of free time? stressed or doing alright? sleeping well?) i didnt think about what to do future wise too much (was always at the back of my mind but pushed it away cos i thought id "eventually" figure it out - BUT, i did do some looking online and would recommend doing quizzes like the UCAS Careers Quiz, and signing up to UCAS early on to look at uni stuff properly, even if you dont come to a choice early. I would HIGHLY recommend doing this. And also, i can send you a few resources i bookmarked at the beginning of year 12 that i hoped would help me make the most of it if you'd like?? just have a skim through so you get the gist of things you could be doing this year regardless of having no skills/interests etc. An example site i bookmarked is: https://www.carshaltonboys.org/_site...01E17FEB11.pdf - if the link doesnt work google "10 things to do in year 12 for ucas" and its the one by carshaltonboys.org) (this is a later edit: ive got a few sites for online experiences which may help, but lmk if you want these)

ANYWAY - point is I got really stressed summer time because, like londonmyst pointed out in the post above me, I identified future things I want like wanting to travel and, more importantly, BE STABLE. Because I'd always kinda leaned towards healthcare (without a massive "passion" for it and no work experience or volunteering in a healthcare setting) i thought to look for potential careers and degrees that fit that and just SET MYSELF A GOAL that i can work towards. So that I wasn't just stressing about finding the "right thing for me" or waiting for this right thing to find me; and I was at least doing something rather than just sitting around knowing inside me I wasn't getting anywhere. One piece of advice I'll never forget is someone told me that no matter what you go for, aim as HIGH as you can so that you never have any regrets/so that your future self doesn't torture yourself thinking "if i only tried going for this or that". My case goes a little further but this is the main gist.

So, maybe have this final piece of advice in mind if its coming to around June-time and you're still unsure - start to think about what you need from your future, and what kind of degrees could fulfill that that you have a feeling you wouldn't mind doing. If you could identify things YOU WOULDN'T MIND DOING (which I'm guessing, cos you're not passionate, would be anything cos lol same) NOW, then you can experiment with them as early as possible (going to online webinars, maybe even getting some experience in a setting - literally, emailing could end up with a rejection and you move on or an opportunity so try!) and get ideas about degrees (or degree apprenticeships? ) you could apply to. If you struggle with where to start on things you wouldn't mind doing cos you're open to literally everything, maybe start with listing what you'd most prefer to do/what comes to your head as something you could do (even if it sounds insane or unrealistic to you cos you'd "never be able to do it" or "it won't interest you" - chances are if you blow this thing that you're slightly interested in off, you just wont be assed to try everything else. SO MAKE A list and just try stuff for them. You've got time now. Either you can try it now or rush it later.). Even ask your family and friends what they could see you doing - they'll judge it based off of what they know about you and it could give you some small guiding step.

Anyway, some other things you can check out:
1) https://nationalcareers.service.gov.uk/ (browse skills assessment and explore careers especially)
2) https://www.prospects.ac.uk/
- also, do you go to any societies? i would say go to as much of what your school puts on (talks etc) whenever you have the time, cos you'll be out of school soon so making the most of what school offers you, just in case you still haven't figured it all out by the time you leave, might be good. Make a note of what you attend and anything potentially interesting about it, you could make links to it somehow in your personal statement (but dont be too worried about getting everything down because of this, just try to get a couple of things down and definitely keep track of things you've done).

Things I would say to end on are: use some sites I added here as a starting point (if you haven't got any already) for looking at UCAS and uni and applications, do some quizzes to start getting ideas (it'll feel pointless at first cos everything will just feel as open to you as before, but the more of them you do, (hopefully) the more particular jobs/industries/degrees will pop up and plant the idea that you should look more into that area).

lmk if any of this was rambly lol
ps: for some people skills/interests etc have come naturally, but for others (at least right now) they haven't. So you have to push yourself to develop something or to do something cos it will help you when you get to year 13. Literally the more you can talk about the better
Last edited by blueham1; 5 days ago
AlKoo
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 6 days ago
Try to ask people in your class what they want to study in uni, you might get some ideas from them. Don’t worry too much, there’s plenty of time for you.
gjd800
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 6 days ago
already have a part time but dont wanna work at mc donalds for the rest of my life innit
Use a bit of nous and use the skills you acquire in each job to get a better one. It's not that difficult. Nobody is doomed to their first job.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you ever considered or are you currently considering an apprenticeship?

Yes, I am actively considering an apprenticeship (73)
13.15%
I am actively considering an alternative to uni that isn't an apprenticeship (9)
1.62%
I have considered an apprenticeship but it's not for me (142)
25.59%
I am considering a degree apprenticeship (44)
7.93%
I haven't considered an apprenticeship (269)
48.47%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (18)
3.24%

Watched Threads