The Student Room Group

Extra curriculars for stem

How many awards/essay prizes/super curriculars would I need for a good application for a good university?
Original post by green pepper
How many awards/essay prizes/super curriculars would I need for a good application for a good university?

I also want to know this.
Reply 2

That's not a straightforward question to answer in afraid. It's more about the quality of the award, prize etc and what transferable skills you have learnt from your super curricular.
Reply 3
I didn't do essay competitions or mentioned any awards on my PS (except grade 8 music?), in fact my personal statement was a bit barren, still got into Imperial
Olympiad.. I'm not doing anything.
Reply 5
Original post by Sinnoh
I didn't do essay competitions or mentioned any awards on my PS (except grade 8 music?), in fact my personal statement was a bit barren, still got into Imperial

What course did you get into, if you dont mind me asking :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by Tanyme
What course did you get into, if you dont mind me asking :smile:

Physics, which isn't the most competitive course there but far from the least
My school gives awards for best in subject and im not sure how to get it since im not teachers' pet nor the absolute best
Reply 8
My school gives awards for best in subject and im not sure how to get it since im not teachers' pet nor the absolute best

I doubt the uni would care about that, the point is to explain why you want to do the course, not how good you are at A-level.

For engineering, generally they are not as important as A-level subjects & grades.. (frankly a great PS &/or interesting super curriculars wont make up for not having the right maths & physics A-level requirements).

Quick Reply

Latest