The Student Room Group

Psychology

Hi, this is the questions for the Muslims out there.
I am studying a pgce in psychology and want to be a psychology sixth form teacher for 16-18 years not university level. I am aware that being a psychotherapist, therapist etc is harman and forbidden in Islam however Is it haram to be a psychology teacher in Islam aswell?
(edited 2 years ago)
What I have never heard this before... can I ask why you think studying psychology is forbidden??
(edited 2 years ago)
I am not sure what interpretation of Islam you are following, but I can think of a dozen Clinical Psychologists who are muslim who I have worked with. There is even a Muslim Counsellor and Psychotherapist Network for people from that background:

https://www.mcapn.co.uk/
Reply 3
Original post by Susan1738
Hi, this is the questions for the Muslims out there.
I am studying a pgce in psychology and want to be a psychology sixth form teacher for 16-18 years not university level. I am aware that being a psychotherapist, therapist etc is harman and forbidden in Islam however Is it haram to be a psychology teacher in Islam aswell?

No it isn’t? Muslim scholars from the 9th century discovered talking therapy and created mental illness classification systems which are very similar today. Why would you think studying psychology is haram? There are plenty of Muslim psychotherapists, psychologists, psychiatrists etc out there
Reply 4
Original post by Saba432
No it isn’t? Muslim scholars from the 9th century discovered talking therapy and created mental illness classification systems which are very similar today. Why would you think studying psychology is haram? There are plenty of Muslim psychotherapists, psychologists, psychiatrists etc out there

That is Muslim scholars, I'm actually referring it to the rules of the Qur'an. What it says in the Quran is important.
Reply 5
Original post by Susan1738
That is Muslim scholars, I'm actually referring it to the rules of the Qur'an. What it says in the Quran is important.

It is incumbent on Muslims to seek knowledge, this includes self knowledge. Knowledge learned from psychology, therapy etc are beneficial for mental growth and also can help those who are struggling with spiritual growth.

Quick Reply

Latest